Discord is overwhelming.

Discuss the past, present and future of the internet. No drinks near the computers, please!
williewillus

Discord is overwhelming.

Post by williewillus »

I'm basically forced to be on Discord since it's where many online communities congregate, sometimes exclusively. I'll save the reason why I hate that for another time.

But one thing that has increasingly been a problem is just how...overwhelming of a space Discord is. By default, joining a guild opens the floodgates of every channel to you, with white dots on every single unread channel, and you can't actually "leave" channels like IRC or Slack, you can only mute them which grays them out but doesn't hide them unless you find and check a specific option.

Everything screams for your attention all the time, and people are always anxious or policing to make sure whatever they are talking about is "on-topic" for the channel, so it leads to conversations that are somewhat rigid.

I dread having to join a new Discord. These days I just ask my question and leave, IRC style. Otherwise, I'll have to dedicate half an hour to muting everything I don't care about.

The persistent nature of membership means that at any time, the general public channel of a specific guild I'm in has over 12000 people idling and potentially seeing whatever I send. That is frightening.

In the old IRC days (2012-2016 for me), there was often just one channel dedicated to whatever topic or project at hand, and conversation flowed freely (with a general rule that on-topic trumped off-topic). People left whenever they were done talking, but it was always nice to see the same regulars every day, greet them, and make small talk.

So one of my questions too is, why are channels so fragmented nowadays? What used to be one IRC channel for that guild I mentioned earlier is now over 25 different public and private channels. What was gained in lost in that regard? Why do people still clamor for more features to silo discussion such as Discord's threads or "forums"?

Does anyone feel the same way?
nightwolf334
Netizen

Re: Discord is overwhelming.

Post by nightwolf334 »

Discord's appeal is that it is free, and a lot less complicated than TS,Vent or Mumble to host voice. Other than I do not think it really has any good social advantages and has a lot more mental drawbacks like you have mentioned. I don't care to be in a guild discord because I only want to hear from them when I play. The whole idea of being constantly connected to every aspect of your life all at once is so paralysing. I think Discord is quite good as an IM service, but I do not like it for anything else. It is way too annoying for my liking.
nighten

Post by nighten »

I really share your sentiment. There are some very nice people, but I mentally can't handle it. Instant chat and life in general make me anxious now, so I can't blame all of this on Discord; but things like the constant pings, conversation being interrupted by gifs, everyone being able to see when you type, really doesn't help.

I still have an account because I'm sometime contacted by clients over there, but I really don't know how people are able to be active on multiple community at once.

To nuance your point, maybe your appeal for IRC came from the fact that the community was smaller? I never really used IRC back in the day, but I don't think it ever got adopted at the same scale as Discord* (or even previous chat software, I was on skype at the time)

*Especially for non tech savvy people
manpaint

Post by manpaint »

Yeah, big Discord server are definitively quite something.

I personally think Discord is best used with small and non-public servers - like small friends groups.

I also pretty much mute anything aside for two low-activity servers (since I mod them).

My opinion on this is probably biased sinced I use this platform since 2016, but I think it's one of the least harmful social media platform.

On Discord, threre is no algorithm (aside maybe in the server finder thing?), meaning you engage directly with people rather than "content". In my book, this is a plus.

The one thing I really dislike about Discord is how it is a black hole for information. Since Discord channel can't be crawled using search engine or the Wayback Machine, this means that if a server is deleted/inacessible, the info get lost.
yequari
Netizen

Post by yequari »

Yeah large Discord communities are very overwhelming. I agree that small to medium servers are where Discord shines the most. Yesterweb is the biggest server I actively participate in and I can't imagine being active in anything larger, there is so much noise.
Grafo
Netizen

Post by Grafo »

I agree with your feeling, Discord is overwhelming and that's why I stoped actively using it on the regular other than check the Yesterweb one from time to time.
I think when the size of a server reaches a certain point it just become unrecognizable from any other social media: just a constant wave of information that it's impossible to follow unless you are 24/7 connected and giving your full attention to it.
Visit my website! https://grafo.zone/
XMPP: grafo@grafo.zone
littlebeggar

Post by littlebeggar »

These days I just ask my question and leave, IRC style.
I think this is good, and I think if you polled the generally active discord folks, they'd almost 100% say they don't want anyone to feel obligated to read all the posts, and tbh outside of "answers to my questions specifically" I personally don't get a lot out of all the other chatter. (Though I'm not against it, people can enjoy socializing wherever) I think the feeling of obligation comes from the atmosphere of always-on notifications etc, and everyone wants to fight against it.
sixeyes
Websurfer

Post by sixeyes »

hehe, i agree with all of you. (after all, that's kind of why i'm here, i couldn't with the yesterweb discord.)

i'm only on five or six discord servers, yesterweb included, but that's still close to a hundred channels. it's just so much! i dont think ive ever heard the discord message sound and had a clear indication of where discussion is taking place, since every channel has unread messages.

i've heard a lot of friends tell me that "oh yeah, super important, the absolute first thing you do when joining a new server is to mute it entirely". and these people are gamers! :p
OppositeKeith
Netizen

Post by OppositeKeith »

ive been using discord since 2018 and before i would have 10 servers being active in. now im only in just 6 servers 3 of which i would big servers. while im still active in them here or there i completely understand the overwhelming feeling you have on them especially on servers based around fandoms and big youtubers. god i cant begin to tell to you how garbage those youtuber type discord servers are, at the very least fandom discord servers are more organized in terms of dealing with kids,trolls, and edgelords from my experience at least. for me though im just used to chaos of those servers and gotten used to the LOL random moments that happens. i understand that discord has its drawbacks as well and it gets pretty addicting fast which is why i usually stop myself from joining calls and such in favor of just going to sleep.
Veezle
Websurfer

Post by Veezle »

100% agree. This is why I don't really use Discord anymore (other than DMing with friends), and why I prefer to stick with forums like this. I was actually really glad when Yesterweb decided to start a forum because I did not like having the Discord server being the only option to interact with the community.
juette
Websurfer

Post by juette »

discord is hell for finding anything even when you know soemthing has been talked about in a specific server. if youre looking for a certain solution to a problem you can look up keywords but itll bring up everything containing those words including things that arent related to the problem you have at all and its really annoying. discord is good for just chatting but i hate how help/support forums are being replaced entirely by discord servers
Image Image
sixeyes
Websurfer

Post by sixeyes »

juette wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:44 pm discord is hell for finding anything even when you know soemthing has been talked about in a specific server. if youre looking for a certain solution to a problem you can look up keywords but itll bring up everything containing those words including things that arent related to the problem you have at all and its really annoying. discord is good for just chatting but i hate how help/support forums are being replaced entirely by discord servers
mmm. in university for a couple of courses they replaced the forum (that nobody much used, mind) with a slack channel (if unfamiliar, slack is basically discord ~for bussinesses~ ie. light theme and no steam integration). and more, the university used the free tier of slack, which meant that only the last 15k (iirc) messages were stored, server-wide..... so yeah, there were much traffic in the channel, by everyone asking the same questions over and over again, because they would immediately disappear. and after a while people got bored and stopped answering. it was like induced group amnesia. like the opposite of a knowledge bank, just a black hole.

i made myself unpopular by complaining a lot about it. in the end they decided to pay for slack, so at least messages were saved. but searching in slack is ... not good, anyway. (and then i jumped ship :p)