waht do you think of the source engine?

Talk about anything in general here.
annotator
Reactions:

waht do you think of the source engine?

Post by annotator »

i think its a cool game engine, it has pretty good object physics, a map editor that im trying to learn so i can make whatever i want, (perhaps an expansion of city 17?) and debuted with an awesome game (half life 2)

so what do you think of it? have you played half life 2 also?
inbtwn
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/they

Re: waht do you think of the source engine?

Post by inbtwn »

honestly if you're new to making games I honestly recommend using something relatively simple like GDevelop or Godot, because Source 1 -- while I do have tons of nostalgia for it and I think it was really great for its time -- has really shown its age in the past few years. It's only really good for certain types of games, while newer (and free-er!) engines are much more flexible and have a bigger support network, leading to easier access to tutorials and plugins for those engines.

If you *really* want to start making maps in Source 1, however, then I recommend picking up Hammer++. I haven't used it myself, but it adds features that really should have been in the editor in the first place, such as instant lighting previews.

Here's a video explaning the benefits of Hammer++ compared to the original Hammer.
amagicmuffin
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: they/them

Post by amagicmuffin »

love all the speedrunning shenanigans that come out of it. accelerated backhop, etc. titanfall 2 apparently also runs on a version of the source engine which adds a lot more tech to the game, movement-wise
Image a broken ring of mail <3
rekanochi
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/him

Post by rekanochi »

it's a hot mess but it's my hot mess and i am forever fond of it and it's unique oddities and weird dumb shit that doesn't make sense
Image Image Image