Books, libraries, reading!

Talk about anything in general here.
CorruptedUnicorn
Reactions:
Pronouns: She/Her

Books, libraries, reading!

Post by CorruptedUnicorn »

Here's a place to discuss what you're currently reading, your favourite books and pieces of written media, tell us about treasures you found at your local (physical or digital) library, and more! :surprise:

I recently bought two books! One's a bestiarium abouut local mythology, a subject I've been interested in a while! The other is one of those mindfulness prompt books, or as I like to call them, "an activity book for adults". I really like books that prompt you to think, write and draw on them. I've been looking for more screenless activities and I think I could give this a shot.

I also want to visit the library more often, but I still haven't found the habit. Like, I want to do this regularly, but I still couldn't find the right sequence of when and how :roll: I've also heard of a charity second hand book store in town, I'd love to visit it and get lots of books there. :)
Squid-Died
Websurfer
Reactions:
Pronouns: It/Its

Re: Books, libraries, reading!

Post by Squid-Died »

:) :) :) I’m reading through this! i got it recently, im prolly gonna go read some of Jhonen’s older comics after too bc i canImage

△△△ i made some holographic stickers of this, check it out!!
Serah
Websurfer
Reactions:
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Serah »

Atm I'm reading a manga (though the author would prefer "gekiga" in the way many western writers prefer "graphic novel" for more literary/adult-targeted works) called A Drifting Life by Yoshihiro Tatsumi. It's a fictionalised autobiography with the names changed basically. An illustrated I-novel. It details his early life growing up in post-war Japan, the struggles with family, the reconstruction, his progression from submitting four-panel comics to children's magazines to the creation of gekiga as a concept. It's really good stuff!

I'm also reading the Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton: a bio-punk space opera series where the spirits of hell escape and begin wreaking havoc on the galaxy. It's wild.
techramancer
Websurfer
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/him

Post by techramancer »

I've started reading Neuromancer by William Gibson. The format of writing is a bit different from what I'm used to (high fantasy, like Sword of Truth and Wheel of Time), but I like it. I also have been meaning to finish 1984 but I haven't yet.

Otherwise, I am near the beginning of book 6 in the Wheel of Time books, and have a number of other books that need reading, too. I have a book goal of 12 books (1 book/month) for this year. I'm 5 books in so far, which were all read by mid-March. But now I need to actually step it up and start reading again. I've been slacking.
nights
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/him

Post by nights »

currently listening to the phenomenology of spirit, which i've wanted to for a long time. i actually found a philosophy professor on youtube who's reading it by paragraph and giving important context/elaboration which is a great addition to it, playlist is here (link is to piped)

as for "treasures", i would love to get my hands on this book about mollah nasreddin, an azeri political/comic satire magazine from the early 20th century. it was $75 when i saw it at strands, but seems cheaper now...?
plumsdeify
Reactions:
Pronouns: she/they

Post by plumsdeify »

i just got A Perfect Golden Circle by Benjamin Percy in from the library, and i'm super excited to start reading it. it's about two men in rural England who make increasingly elaborate crop circles as a secretive art project.

when it comes to treasures... when i was 10 or 11, one of my great aunts was cleaning out her garage and gave me an almost complete set of the Mysteries of the Unknown series (if i recall correctly, it was missing the index and the one about utopian societies). and i loved these books. read them constantly, wrote stories based on things i found in the books (the Bélmez faces were a particular obsession). i had to be talked out of taking them with me to college. my family's garage flooded that spring and they were destroyed. :cry:

they're part of my dream library, and i'd love to have them again. unfortunately, i haven't been able to find a complete set for under $200, and oddly, individual volumes don't pop up for sale too much. :o maybe someday i'll stumble into the right used bookstore or estate sale...
juette
Webmaster
Reactions:
Pronouns: it/he/they

Post by juette »

ive been rereading gros-câlin by romain gary lately because the way the story is told is very intriguing to me..... its very non-linear with the narrator using weird turns of phrase and made-up expressions and changing subjects very often. not sure how well it'd translate into english though....

i would looove to go to the library more often but my classes take up all of my time T__T well im studying to be a librarian so i suppose ill be spending my whole day inside a library eventually but its not really the same as going for fun. im just a bit scared of borrowing a book and then never finding the time to finish it before i have to bring it back...........
Sadness
Site Admin
Reactions:
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Sadness »

I've been reading "Inventing Reality" by Michael Parenti, it's a critique of the news media. I took a small section and put it up on my website, because I could draw a lot of comparisons between this piece and our experience with ads on social media (altho this book was written in the 80s). Here is a link to the short excerpt if anyone is interested!
lavender
Reactions:
Pronouns: it/its

Post by lavender »

Sadness wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:40 pm I've been reading "Inventing Reality" by Michael Parenti, it's a critique of the news media. I took a small section and put it up on my website, because I could draw a lot of comparisons between this piece and our experience with ads on social media (altho this book was written in the 80s). Here is a link to the short excerpt if anyone is interested!
i might give this one a try after reading the excerpt ^-^ thanks for sharing, it sounds similar in message to manufacturing consent, but much more engaging than chomsky's writing :sleep:; as wonderful as that book it it really puts me to sleep x3.

i've been reading through the narrow road to the interior, by basho. i've always loved his poetry but the combination of a travel journal with the poetry is interesting. because of how the poetry tends to let you fill in the blanks, it feels in a way like you're taking the journey as well, but at the same time sharing his experience without it being colored much by an interpretation.
harmony
Reactions:

Post by harmony »

ive been going to my library about once every week or so lately :D currently im reading a book called fangirl by rainbow rowell about a girl named cath who writes fanfiction, navigating her first year of college!! ive been really enjoying it!! its around 425 pages long n i dont read books that long very often so its been a little hard trying to finish @_@
Yukari
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by Yukari »

I have one of those cheapo used kindles. It was only $50, but every time I turn it off, the screen displays a book advert. I got so annoyed, I keep it facedown when I’m not using it, ANYWAY:
I have been trying and failing to finish the Southern Reach trilogy by Jeff VanderMeer. Loved the first book, second book was okay, last book, I keep borrowing and returning. I guess that’s a sign that it isn’t for me.
Last book I successfully read was I’m Thinking of Ending Things. Pretty spooky stuff. Didn’t go the direction I was expecting.
idk what I'm doing! but hi everyone!
sixeyes
Webmaster
Reactions:
Pronouns: they/them

Post by sixeyes »

Yukari wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:58 am I have been trying and failing to finish the Southern Reach trilogy by Jeff VanderMeer. Loved the first book, second book was okay, last book, I keep borrowing and returning. I guess that’s a sign that it isn’t for me.
Love these! I agree that the second and third books are... different. Still enjoyed them though, but absolutely adore the first. The kind of unreliable narrator, feverish aspects, strange horror... right up my alley!

Been slowly going through everything else by the same author. He might be my no 1, actually. The first Ambergris novel was very intriguing also, it has some similar themes where it's like. After a while you realize you can take nothing at face value, it's a bit unclear what's actually true. (And has you looking for lore elements in the citations section, which i found neat/annoying).

House of leaves comes to mind, although it was years since i read it.
Starfighter
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by Starfighter »

I just read The Diary of Anne Frank. Better late than never, I guess!
Ray
Webwalker
Reactions:
Pronouns: They/She

Post by Ray »

Lord of the Rings!! :D
Fun thing is - I had tried reading it years ago it it seemed SO boring and dull, I always cited it as an example of the kind of book I'd never be able to sit through. I surprisingly met a lot of people with same opinions!

Then a couple weeks ago I really wanted to read a bit, but all the books I had available were a bit depressing and sad. I really wished for something hopeful. Then I saw the trilogy and was like huh. Well why not give it a try?
And Oh Boy What how did I think these were boring??? The first chapters with Bilbo's party were hilarious, the writing is superb in choice of words and rythm and the descriptions make you feel *there*, and his narrative is so gentle and kind at times that it leaves me teary-eyed!!
I wonder if my taste in books changed, or if I had come across a bad translation at first (I tried it in Italian at first, reading the original English now - it's a bit hard and I am very grateful that my ebook reader has a built in dictionary).

I already saw the movies, and remember the main plot, but I tend to be forgetful with stories so it's still a surprise to me when things happen! I'm having a blast, truly reading for the sake of reading. 30 pages or so to go with fellowship, can't wait to start with Two Towers. :D
I am also a bit interested in reading the Hobbit later on, as I heard it has much the same vibe of those early chapters that I really loved. But for some reasons, it's a bit harder for me to get started on something I'm wholly unfamiliar with. Knowing the plot of LOTR made me more willing to read the books afterwards. Am I the only one to which spoilers work in reverse? :lol:
Image ImageIf we're not supposed to dance, Why all this music?

Keep in touch: The Web Raft, everyone welcome!
Say hi! ray@emailsnail.net
@plantcreature Telegram
Happy to make friends! <3
amagicmuffin
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by amagicmuffin »

oh im backwards from you, i loved the hobbit and couldn't get through lotr. :p i heard the hobbit was originally a bedtime story for the author's child or smth? like percy jackson lol

anyways, my favorite fanfics :3 (all ao3)

+ passerine :: blujamas, thcscus (blujamas)
that fic where Techno and Phil are old immortals, and Tommy and Wilbur are decidedly... not.

+ bones in the ocean :: bunflower
Technoblade is a naval captain, and Phil his unwilling prisoner. Somehow, they manage to come out of it as friends in the end.

+ Will Terribly, If You Will At All :: Payasita
"Many who had fallen comatose with the infection are waking up, seeming healthy and whole."

+ Stag Beetles and Broken Legs :: Aryashi, relationshipcrimes
A chance meeting on the shore of Blue Lake interrupts Quirrel making an unfortunate decision.

just clicked preview and man these green links look pretty
Image a broken ring of mail <3
Myrmeform
Reactions:

Post by Myrmeform »

they have a copy of The Ants by B. Holldobler and E. O. Wilson at my library!!! i try not to check it out too often so other people get a chance to look at it. it is a veritable tome of ant info, with tons of great photos and art of ants. a lot of it is outdated bc its from 1990, and it often has blatantly incorrect information (like claiming Lasius fuliginosus reinforces its carton nests with symbiotic fungi, a very cool concept but a later study found no evidence of this), but its still an amazing book. i would like to own it someday but im sure its ridiculously expensive. theres a newer, pared down version thats not really my favorite haha.

i believe all of the text is available for free on antwiki: https://www.antwiki.org/wiki/The_Ants_Chapter_1
they of course dont have the amazing pictures.

edit: i see people mentioned the southern reach trilogy and those are my most favorite recent books. i looove the focus on nature, and the latter two books always make me want to do an immediate reread bc they reveal a lot of interesting info not specified in the first. i painstakingly transcribed the wall writing from scouring all three books bc i love it so much hahaha. i really enjoy the "weird zone" concept, like in roadside picnic (the book Stalker was based on) and the finished web series the sick land
lain
Reactions:
Pronouns: they/he

Post by lain »

i've been pushing through crime and punishment the past 2 years, mostly. i like it, it's just dense. other books i've been reading alongside that atm are to the lighthouse, moby-dick, and the last unicorn!

i really loved annihilation's movie so comparing it to the book was pretty fun. unfortunately, something about vandermeer's writing style just doesn't 100 percent gel with me, so i think i ultimately still prefer the movie to the books. i haven't gotten to acceptance yet though. i still recommend southern reach, objectively they're very good, there's just something about them that kind of...bores me, maybe? lol

i've been wanting to pick up roadside picnic too! i didn't like stalker but i also really like stories about "weird spaces" and the way they reflect and are reflected by the people that inhabit them. i just watched solaris last night too (liked that one way more than stalker) so i might snag the short story from archive.org or something.

as far as "weird space" books go, i'd be remiss not to mention house of leaves, which is probably the definitive 'weird book' at the moment, although other people mentioned it already
lain, 21+, they/he
princemaggots
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/it

Post by princemaggots »

Recently I finally caved and bought a used kindle paperwhite for $50 on the goodwill site which makes it a lot easier for me to actually read things (particularly with tossing KOReader on it, always a plus). Prior I was using my thinkpad with it's old dull-ish screen for any digital books (in HTML format with a CSS stylesheet), but it was too heavy to carry around with my main laptop so I couldn't read as much as I wanted to xP I also occasionally get physical books from the library, but I'm always bad at actually carrying them with me - so Kindle will probably become my main reading tool from now on.

But onto what I'm actually reading: fiction-wise, I've been reading through the Millennium series - namely The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest. It's pretty good, particularly with Lisbeth (whom I adore, she's such a fun character). Like the other books in the series so far though, I'm having trouble keeping up with names... the big ones are distinct enough, but there's so many side characters that's its hard to keep track of who does what. >_> I've been mostly figuring it out so far through context clues, but I might have to make some actual notes in my book so I can remember all these people xP

For non-fiction, I've been reading through (most of) my textbooks! Originally I started reading them for study reasons, but they're actually pretty interesting. The main ones I've been reading, if anyone's curious, are Concepts of Programming Languages (12th ed), which discusses how programming languages are designed and implemented) and Fundamentals of Database Systems (7th ed, discusses concepts of databases, mostly with SQL). They can both easily be found on libgen, though I won't be linking that here. :D The other two I've been reading are: Operating Systems: Internals and Design Principles (9th ed.), which goes into a lot of detail on operating system design and functioning, and Introduction to the Theory of Computation (3rd ed). I can't really recommend Theory of Computation though - it's super interesting (imo) but requires existing knowledge of discrete math otherwise it's a bit incomprehensible at points (since it's for my Automata Theory class, which has Discrete Math as a prereq for the course)

(note: sorry this is quite a long waffle of a post, particularly with so many commas! xP)
sixeyes
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by sixeyes »

lain wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:51 pm i've been pushing through crime and punishment the past 2 years, mostly. i like it, it's just dense. other books i've been reading alongside that atm are to the lighthouse, moby-dick, and the last unicorn!

i really loved annihilation's movie so comparing it to the book was pretty fun. unfortunately, something about vandermeer's writing style just doesn't 100 percent gel with me, so i think i ultimately still prefer the movie to the books. i haven't gotten to acceptance yet though. i still recommend southern reach, objectively they're very good, there's just something about them that kind of...bores me, maybe? lol

i've been wanting to pick up roadside picnic too! i didn't like stalker but i also really like stories about "weird spaces" and the way they reflect and are reflected by the people that inhabit them. i just watched solaris last night too (liked that one way more than stalker) so i might snag the short story from archive.org or something.

as far as "weird space" books go, i'd be remiss not to mention house of leaves, which is probably the definitive 'weird book' at the moment, although other people mentioned it already
mmm when i read roadside picnic it was in a collection of short stories by the same author, and i still think about it ever so often, for one story or another.

from solaris i picked up the habit of putting paper tassels in front of air vents... it IS calming..!
Myrmeform wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:14 am edit: i see people mentioned the southern reach trilogy and those are my most favorite recent books. i looove the focus on nature, and the latter two books always make me want to do an immediate reread bc they reveal a lot of interesting info not specified in the first. i painstakingly transcribed the wall writing from scouring all three books bc i love it so much hahaha. i really enjoy the "weird zone" concept, like in roadside picnic (the book Stalker was based on) and the finished web series the sick land
yeahh i love weird zone! the sick land is new to me, thank you for the link.
nikkiana
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: she/her/any

Post by nikkiana »

I just finished reading Mary Magdalene Revealed: The First Apostle, Her Feminist Gospel, & the Christianity We Haven't Tried Yet by Meggan Watterson. I take the book mostly at face value, as one woman's exploration into the mythology around Mary Magdalene, but I found it was an interesting and insightful look into an aspect of Christian spiritual evolution that tends to be underrepresented and maligned from an institutional sense.
Myrmeform
Reactions:

Post by Myrmeform »

lain wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:51 pm i've been pushing through crime and punishment the past 2 years, mostly. i like it, it's just dense. other books i've been reading alongside that atm are to the lighthouse, moby-dick, and the last unicorn!

thats fair, my dad felt similar about his writing.

roadside picnic is very different tonally from the movie, i feel like a lot of people would enjoy it. the version i had had one of the authors explaining how they dealt with soviet censors at the time, very interesting.

aaaa i want to read the newer translation of solaris so bad, the author said the first english translation wasnt very good and much preferred the newer one.

i need to read house of leaves, its been on my list forever
Yukari
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by Yukari »

Myrmeform wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:14 amedit: i see people mentioned the southern reach trilogy and those are my most favorite recent books. i looove the focus on nature, and the latter two books always make me want to do an immediate reread bc they reveal a lot of interesting info not specified in the first. i painstakingly transcribed the wall writing from scouring all three books bc i love it so much hahaha. i really enjoy the "weird zone" concept, like in roadside picnic (the book Stalker was based on) and the finished web series the sick land
yesss I love the crawler’s wall writing (but I cheated and just googled the whole thing haha). I’m trying to memorize it but I only have the first 1.5 sentences down.

About “weird zone” books, have you heard of Piranesi by Susanna Clarke? It’s about a man who lives in an infinite house, and the house is the entire world. (That’s the most non-spoilery way I can describe it.)
idk what I'm doing! but hi everyone!
Myrmeform
Reactions:

Post by Myrmeform »

Yukari wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:37 am
Myrmeform wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:14 amedit: i see people mentioned the southern reach trilogy and those are my most favorite recent books. i looove the focus on nature, and the latter two books always make me want to do an immediate reread bc they reveal a lot of interesting info not specified in the first. i painstakingly transcribed the wall writing from scouring all three books bc i love it so much hahaha. i really enjoy the "weird zone" concept, like in roadside picnic (the book Stalker was based on) and the finished web series the sick land
yesss I love the crawler’s wall writing (but I cheated and just googled the whole thing haha). I’m trying to memorize it but I only have the first 1.5 sentences down.

About “weird zone” books, have you heard of Piranesi by Susanna Clarke? It’s about a man who lives in an infinite house, and the house is the entire world. (That’s the most non-spoilery way I can describe it.)
i also tried googling it but i was unsatisfied by the way other people decided on punctuation lmaoo. oh me too! i'd love to have it running in my head as a sort of litany against being annoyed at work hahaha

no but that sounds really interesting and cool! i definitely have to check it out