RAAAH TECHNICAL ISSUESSS

Talk about your website ideas, web design, coding, software and hardware.
rekanochi
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/him

RAAAH TECHNICAL ISSUESSS

Post by rekanochi »

so i just had an absolute nightmare experience and i just really need to vent.

okay, so, for some context, my PC doesn't have a built-in wifi chip and i can't plug it into ethernet because of Reasons(tm). i've been using a usb wifi adapter and that's been working fine up to this point. i've had hiccups now and then but it wasn't anything the good ol' "take out and plug back in" couldn't fix.
so, i'm in the middle of setting up my shiny new cd burner. i'm having some trouble because the blank discs i'm using are a little old and some of them have scratches at the edges.
internet goes out. ok. i can fix this!
take it out. plug it back in.
nothing.
try literally every single USB port in the entire computer.
Nothing.
i'm a little frustrated at this point. it's not like the USB ports aren't working, since they work with my other stuff, so it has to be something with the adapter. which, alright, sure, whatever, it was a cheap thing i got for like 20 bucks or something, it's kind of a piece of trash anyway.
so like, i start looking for my phone, because i'm logged into all my stuff on there too. except, whoops, can't find it! if i asked one of my housemates to call it then it wouldn't ring because i hate getting phonecalls so i keep it on silent (like an idiot) so it takes me like a solid hour tearing up the house trying to find it.

in the meantime, at our house, we keep a laptop by the tv for watching youtube videos and stuff with an HDMI cable. i know the pin to get into it so i try logging into my shit there.

email? oh, well, you see, we need to make sure it's you, and you have two-factor authentication enabled. do you have your phone? no? do you have your recovery email? yes? okay, wait 24 hours and we'll send it to you.
i have school assignments due tonight. so this does not work.
discord? oh, well, you see, we need to make sure it's you, and you have two-factor authentication enabled. do you have your phone? no? do you have your email? no? go fuck yourself.
steam? oh, well, you see, we need to make sure it's you, and you have two-factor authentication enabled. do you have your phone? no? do you have your email? no? go fuck yourself.
tumblr? oh, well, you see- okay you get the point

look. i'm not the wisest computer wizard out there, and i could definitely withstand to be more savvy with how i use my tech. i'm certainly not an expert level programmer or anything like that. i sort of know my way around a computer but i can get frustrated easily with a lot of the inane bullshit that comes with troubleshooting a problem.
but the thing is, my mental health is hanging on by a thread, okay? and that thread is called "internet connection". i'm disabled and stuck in a not-so-great-living-situation, and all of my friends live pretty darn far away. without the ability to contact the people important to me, i'm a MESS.

so i had a really bad time.

eventually, i did find my phone, yay! like i said, it took like an hour of stressing out about it. after all of that i'm just completely exhausted.
but like, what if it got stolen? what if a million other factors that could've made it impossible for me to access my stuff? i don't even know, dude.

the moral of the story is that i'm disabling two-factor authentication on everything and also computers are stupid. i love them but they make me rage.
Image Image Image

princemaggots
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/it

Re: RAAAH TECHNICAL ISSUESSS

Post by princemaggots »

Wow, that does sound absolutely stressful, I'm glad you were able to find your phone in the end. I know as someone who has a lot of 2FA stuff (including my school account...) it would definitely be a bit of a challenge to login into some of main accounts if my phone got lost/broken/stolen/otherwise unusable. >_<

Also for a future note - Discord (and probably most places with 2FA, including Steam) does have backup codes you can use in case you can't access the 2FA device. On discord specifically, they're a text file you can download to your computer. I'd recommend having those for all your 2FA-enabled accounts around (and store them in multiple locations) just in case if you do want to keep the security of 2FA.