Freecodecamp/Odin Project opinions (and where to learn web development?)

Talk about your website ideas, web design, coding, software and hardware.
Ray
Webwalker
Reactions:
Pronouns: They/She

Freecodecamp/Odin Project opinions (and where to learn web development?)

Post by Ray »

My knowledge of web development stops at knowing how to put together a few basic elements so they display on a page. Even though I think I will stick to static webpages for now, I'd really like to be fluent in what I'm doing - so mostly HTML and CSS. And then maybe little by little branch out more and learn JS and the other good stuff.

Looking online, I found these two promising resources: FreeCodeCamp and The Odin Project.
So far I've taken a quick look at both - it seems that FCC is straight to the point, and its formula is "copy the example". TOP I've not gone into lesson yet, but got my attention with the initial theoretical lessons about how stuff works, and how it also wants to teach you how to work on Linux (in a VM usually), which sounds like two doves with one stone.

But again - as someone whose knowledge on the subject covers, like, the very first FCC html basic lessons, I was wondering if anyone here had experiences with these tools, or could recommend some other sources to learn how to make websites for dummies!
(Books are great to add as a resource, but I personally really struggle to study from books usually - so if you have really simple ones, or learning material in other media, I appreciate it a lot! :) )
Image ImageIf we're not supposed to dance, Why all this music?

Keep in touch: The Web Raft, everyone welcome!
Say hi! ray@emailsnail.net
@plantcreature Telegram
Happy to make friends! <3
fLaMEd
Netizen
Reactions:

Re: Freecodecamp/Odin Project opinions (and where to learn web development?)

Post by fLaMEd »

Kevin Powell is a great tutor; check out his courses at https://www.kevinpowell.co/courses/. They might offer a bit more with his video commentary rather than the text prompts at FreeCodeCamp & Odin Project.

One piece of advice is to be careful not to get stuck in tutorial loops. That is where you find yourself continuously starting and sometimes not finishing courses, tutorials etc.

Pick a course, understand the basics, and start challenging yourself by completing projects.
vincent
Reactions:
Pronouns: it/itself

Post by vincent »

I used Freecodecamp to learn how to do html/css. It's really great imho, I found it very intuitive and it was good at showing why things work outside of just telling you "this is what it does."
and what do the birds say?
all there is to say about a massacre,
things like "poo-tee-weet?"

enter the dungeon?
Ray
Webwalker
Reactions:

Post by Ray »

fLaMEd wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:53 am One piece of advice is to be careful not to get stuck in tutorial loops. That is where you find yourself continuously starting and sometimes not finishing courses, tutorials etc.

Pick a course, understand the basics, and start challenging yourself by completing projects.
Oof, I am VERY guilty of this. Starting things and not ending them is my passion :oops: I admit I had started FCC at least 2 times in the past for example, but didn't understand a lick of html until I challenged myself to grab some code here and there and understand how it worked, so I could get my site online.
I hope now that I already have a base *something* that I want to improve and build upon, it'll be easier to not abandon things :') thank you for the advice!

@plantcreature Telegram
netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: it/its

Post by netizen »

I hear The Odin Project has a bit of a reputation for being fairly difficult - but effective. I've heard it recommended for people who are looking into web development as a job, as a TOP certificate looks really good on a resume for free.
NETIZEN ONE or any other name

Tumblr (netizen-1)
Ray
Webwalker
Reactions:

Post by Ray »

netizen wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:12 am I hear The Odin Project has a bit of a reputation for being fairly difficult - but effective. I've heard it recommended for people who are looking into web development as a job, as a TOP certificate looks really good on a resume for free.
Yeah, I'm starting to follow it's basics section and am really impressed by how thorough it is, but also glad they're spoonfeeding me lil tidbits for now. I love how their lessons are structured, and the sites and resources they linked to learn from have been really clear. I feel like it wants to be a bit challenging, while also really accessible to *anyone*. Really excited to see how it will go about, like, actually teaching code! lol
Maybe in a year (being optimistic about my free time) I'll be back and tell you guys how effective it was :)

(Also unrelated, but I really like your avatar :D)

@plantcreature Telegram