nintendo direct discussion

Talk about anything in general here.
forks
Reactions:
Pronouns: they/them

nintendo direct discussion

Post by forks »

for everyone interested or who watched the direct yesterday - what do we think?

personally, i'm still upset there's no confirmed tomodachi life for the switch. hoping we get 'em next time. then there's the handheld library split - original gb for base nso subscribers and gba for nso+ subscribers. i maintain my stance that people should be able to simply purchase these games from an online marketplace, and don't need to be behind nso+. even saying "at least it's something" still feels bittersweet.

other than that, i'm excited for the splatoon 3 dlc, and a couple of the remakes like the kirby's dreamland deluxe, we <3 katamari, and metroid prime (mostly because i was too young at it's release and i still need a gamecube controller for my wii if i want to grab a physical copy). oh, and the mega man battle network collection!

a new game that piqued my interest was decapolice! it looks like a fun time. the etrian odyssey collection also looks interesting to me (i was also too young to jump into this series when it started).
Starfia
Websurfer
Reactions:

Re: Miis, Metroid Prime, Etrian Odyssey

Post by Starfia »

Ooh, Tomodachi Life. I played the demo and the game seemed pretty cool, but I wasn't tipped all the way in at the time. I think Nintendo almost understands the kind of "personal life" game I'd personally want, but never quite gets it. For example, Animal Crossing: City Folk allowed you to wear your Mii's head as a "mask," which I loved and hoped they'd take more seriously, but they wound up removing it entirely for New Horizons, and I was disappointed enough to hang up my Animal Crossing habit. I was already melancholy about Miitomo having ended and I still miss it.

I'm completely with you on preferring to "buy" Virtual Console games individually. I think the Wii U was Nintendo's best console for a number of reasons, and having a largely complete library of all past consoles' games was certainly among those. I've just had to accept that the Switch, with its diverging schemes and somewhat more trend-following design decisions, is a deliberate break in Nintendo's console lineage, and I can't blame Nintendo for going that way and proving to have found a hit with players generally. (As an upshot, the dream of finally playing earlier Nintendo games online with friends has provided me with many good times and newer memories. And the full-screen rendering of the newly-introduced GBA games on the Switch looks great to me.)

Metroid Prime: did you ever consider buying the trilogy collection for Wii with its (non-HD) remastered version of the first game? It's not clear to me whether this new release has Wii-style controls like that version did, and I played enough of that release to feel like those controls made it the definitive one.

I think I actually tried Etrian Odyssey when it came out, and the Direct jarred my memory. I obviously didn't love it enough to keep it, but its gameplay and graphics sure stand out in retrospect.

"Sea Of Stars" is the other one I thought looked good enough to come back to. I have a good handful of demos sitting there which I've never tried (and there are so many traditionally-inspired RPGs now that you almost have to choose at random), but I think I might have to try this one. And I've never heard of this publisher, "Sabotage Studio."
Last edited by Starfia on Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
forks
Reactions:

Re:

Post by forks »

Starfia wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:06 pm Metroid Prime: did you ever consider buying the trilogy collection for Wii with its (non-HD) remastered version of the first game? It's not clear to me whether this new release has Wii-style controls like that version did, and I played enough of that release to feel like those controls made it the definitive one.
i had honestly entirely forgotten about the trilogy collection! it's definitely gonna be one that i have to keep a look out for, since it seems to be a bit pricey/harder to come by.
Starfia wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:06 pm "Sea Of Stars" is the other one I thought looked good enough to come back to. I have a good handful of demos sitting there which I've never tried (and there are so many traditionally-inspired RPGs now that you almost have to choose at random), but I think I might have to try this one. And I've never heard of this publisher, "Sabotage Studio."
sabotage studio looks like a relatively new indie team. "retro-inspired" seems to be their whole shtick and it looks like they have one other series called "the messenger". sea of stars appears to be their second IP. good for them though tbh! sea of stars definitely looks pretty but i do agree that there's just so many similar looking rpgs available on the switch that it kind of blends in with the rest - it's kinda why etrian odyssey stood out to me so much.
Starfia
Websurfer
Reactions:

Re: Metroid Prime Trilogy

Post by Starfia »

forks wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:38 pm i had honestly entirely forgotten about the trilogy collection! it's definitely gonna be one that i have to keep a look out for, since it seems to be a bit pricey/harder to come by.
(Right, I remember it got super-hard to find and used prices rose a lot. I don't know whether you have one, but it looks like it's still available on the Wii U eShop for 20 USD. But we know the imminent doom there; the shop is closing in late March and the only remaining way to add funds is by redeeming codes.)
realachao
Reactions:
Pronouns: she/they

Re: nintendo direct discussion

Post by realachao »

I think overall it was a pretty good direct! I do wonder why they haven't ported/remade/made some kind of iteration on Tomodachi Life yet, I know lots of people who loved it and would love more. I enjoy it but don't have a ton of experience with it, I never got to try it until very recently.

Kirby's Return to Dream Land is one of my favorite Kirby games EVER, and I love a lot of Kirby games. I'm super excited about the deluxe edition and the extra story they're adding. I don't like the weird thick outlines on everything, but I can look past that, I think. ^^;

As far as the NSO stuff, I'm still annoyed that they decided to basically make two separate tiers for their online service, and I also miss the old Virtual Console days, but it is what it is. I am happy that they added these consoles to the list in spite of that. I personally have always kept ROMs and stuff, currently my 3DS is my handheld homebrew machine, so it's not revolutionary for me but it's also convenient and fun to have these games on the Switch, because 1: easy local or online play with people without always setting up an old console/emulator with a PC/netplay, and 2: my friends who don't hoard ROMs like I do can finally play Minish Cap! :D

I'm also really happy about Metroid Prime, actual Pikmin 4 footage, more BOTW2 footage, Katamari and more...Sea of Stars is something I was REALLY excited to see, I've been waiting for that game for a while so I'm glad it has a confirmed release date. It's said to be inspired by Chrono Trigger and they even got Yasunori Mitsuda do work on some of the music; Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite games of all time, so I'm stoked to see an indie team I like create their take on that style.

As a random side, I always liked the art style of Etrian Odyssey, but I was intimidated by the gameplay for some reason. First-person stuff throws me off. But I might actually give this collection a try when it comes out!
Starfia
Websurfer
Reactions:

Re: Yasunori Mitsuda

Post by Starfia »

realachao wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:31 pm It's said to be inspired by Chrono Trigger and they even got Yasunori Mitsuda do work on some of the music; Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite games of all time, so I'm stoked to see an indie team I like create their take on that style.
Yeah! The mention of Mitsuda jumped right out at me.
GaryStu
Websurfer
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/him

Post by GaryStu »

why do you want to buy gameboy games in current year? GB and GBA emulation is the easiest thing in the world to get working, including on portables like the 3DS and even mobile phones. cannot understand the mindset. Virtual console sucks.

Anyway, games! Uh I might try Zelda idk
Last edited by GaryStu on Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All my social links are on the home page of my website, just above the webrings.

Image Image

Starfighter
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by Starfighter »

My top four of the games showed:

4. Decapolice
3. Professor Layton and The New World of Steam
2. Fantasy Life i: The Girl Who Steals Time
1. Sea of Stars

I might pick up Metroid Prime Remastered when the physical edition comes out, I remember giving up on the Gamecube original because I was frustrated with the controls.
starrs
Reactions:

Post by starrs »

I was also really hoping for Tomodachi Life to be announced this direct :"]
It surprises me to know that there are apparently a lot of other people who share the same sentiment as me, haha. Maybe some time soon, I hope. It would definitely be a hit if it did come out.

Honestly, I already dislike Nintendo Switch Online for hiding online play behind a subscription that wasn't there in the first place. But only letting you play old games if you subscribe is another thing I don't like about it. Wish we could just buy our own copies still T_T

Was so happy to see Fantasy Life in the direct! It's one of my favorite games. I really enjoyed playing it on the 3DS, and I'm glad there's a sequel now. Also excited for Professor Layton, I have yet to play a game in the franchise but I always hear about how nice it is. Hopefully I'll play it someday!

Also, the sneak peeks for the new Pikmin and BOTW game were some games I was looking forward to. The other games they showcased looked really cool too! Although I was surprised to see a game from the developers of Style Savvy, haha. I have yet to finish playing through one of their games. Very hyped! >:]
owo what's this..? --> Image Image Image
rubber cat
Reactions:

Post by rubber cat »

haven't had much time to game lately and I feel bad adding more stuff to my backlog :|
  • new zelda is a must
  • welp I guess I should get the NSO expansion thing... looking forward to playing the minish cap because I never got to finish it (emulated version I played bugged out during the final boss)
  • gonna get Etrian Odyssey, I liked the persona Q games for the 3DS, and I guess this is where the map thing came from... will probably feel weird to have it be 1 screen
  • I am told metroid prime and ghost trick are must plays so I will
  • never played a pikmin game before... maybe I will check out pikmin 4
rekanochi
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/him

Post by rekanochi »

GHOST TRICK RERELEASE POG
YEAH YEAH YEAAAAAAH YOU LOVE TO SEE IT WOOHOOO

anyway, now that i got that out of the way, i'm pretty happy with it overall! metroid prime's a classic and i'm glad that people are getting to experience it in HD, new pikmin is an absolute treat of an announcement, i'm ambivalent about the new zelda, aaand... i'm not really all that invested in tomodachi life so i'm not too bothered about it, tbh.

i gotta say, though, the GBA NSO thing is both a blessing and a curse, for me. on one hand, people are talking about my fave mario&luigi game, superstar saga, yay! but on the other hand, the fact that it's locked behind NSO is total bull and i'm always going to be mad about that. internet access features were free on previous consoles- i don't understand why they decided to add a price tag to it now, especially with how the servers for stuff like smash have barely improved.
bring back the eshop, miyamoto, it was great and you know it

that said. GOD i'd do some terrible, terrible things if it meant that nintendo got their ass in gear and started updating Animal Crossing: New Horizons like they promised they were going to. i was hoping that they'd mention it at least during the direct, but alas, to no avail. i get that it was released during the midst of ~the plague~ but it's still such a shame that they sort of just dropped off on adding new content and now it's kind of a desert wasteland. new leaf had WAY more going on for it content-wise.

also-
a lot of people are bummed about hollow knight silksong not getting a mention, but like... i dunno, games take time to make. i think a lot of people forget that nintendo directs aren't, like, E3. they come out every couple of months, it's not a "here's every single game release for the rest of the year ok bye" kind of thing.

the moral of the story, is, however, that ghost trick is fantastic and i am SO glad it's getting a remaster. what a good game.
Image Image Image

CyberCat2000
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by CyberCat2000 »

I gotta say, it felt like there were a lot of unexpected revivals this Direct. You have Ghost Trick, you have Samba de Amigo, you have Baten Kaitos(!). It's nice that Game Boy stuff will be on Switch Online, but yeah, I feel like we need a new "virtual console" for those not willing to pay for the Switch Online subscription.