Science Week 2023!

Coordinate online projects, activities and digital meetups, and share socials.
Starfia
Websurfer
Reactions:

Science Week 2023!

Post by Starfia »

A few years ago, I started an online tradition to celebrate science, as well as the related topics of reason, awe at the natural world and the universe, human ingenuity, and so on. Essentially, I write one brief post per day on such topics and share it, starting on February 12.

I started doing this on social media, but I think this tradition is particularly well-suited to the personal, open web. Everyone benefits from science and experiences the wonder of scientific facts and discoveries in their own way. This year, I've finally done a permanent home page for it.

Science Week

So, if anyone wants to share this link or join me by writing thoughts of your own, I'd love to read them and even link to you afterward. To think even bigger, I wonder whether something like Science Week could become more popular and promote appreciation of science generally.

Here are my posts for this year, as I make them:

Day 1 – A fine feather itself
Day 2 – Phobos from Mars
Day 3 – A micro-engineered cancer treatment: cells upon cells
Day 4 – A word with the Impossible Burger guy
Day 5 – How much saliva does a cow produce in a day?
Day 6 – Does a ping-pong ball sink or float in zero gravity?
Day 7 – Localized entirely without your kitchen
Last edited by Starfia on Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:53 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Llallume
Reactions:

Re: Science Week 2023!

Post by Llallume »

Yay, Science Week!

Here is my post for Darwin Day with some fun links you can follow to go on some virtual learning adventures!

Science Week Day 2! On Animal Crossing's wonderful museum.

Science Week Day 3. A suddenly decided upon topic featuring a photo of my cat friend in a bowtie.

Science Week Day 4. The creative power of dreams.

Science Week Day 5. The exciting medicinal potential of psychedelics to treat mental illness.

Science Week Day 6. Mars rover Perseverance is two years old! Let's see what it's found.

Science Week Day 7. On the overwhelming reach of science.

Happy Science Week, everyone!
Starfia
Websurfer
Reactions:

Post by Starfia »

Llallume wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:49 am Happy Science Week, everyone!
Llallume – thank you for joining me! Writing alongside someone was so cool, but I loved reading and indulging in your almost poetic depth and tone each day, which often went beyond my brief links. I've linked all of your posts on my main page and I suggest anyone who finds this post sample them.

I hope anyone feels free to join in next February. ^ ^
Arevakhach
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by Arevakhach »

Well done to the both of you. I have a lot of trouble writing regularly, so to see you each write for 7 days in a row is impressive. Also, it's nice to see a Bear Blog around here.