memes

Talk about the past, present and future of the internet.
GaryStu
Websurfer
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/him

memes

Post by GaryStu »

Spoiler
The fact we call our internet jokes "memes" is the largest cultural impact of the new atheist movement.

Let me start this post again. Ok:

Like "App" or "Content", Memes is a term that flattened a lot of genres of internet humour into one term. Everything from simple image macros, to more advanced remix culture like photoshops, to elaborate original works like fanart, it all became Memes. And while there was some backlash to it, its hard to remember. Linguistic convenience won in the end.

Its easy to see backlash to the term "Memes" as kind of embarrassing in retrospect. Meme elitists are a bit weird to look back on, if you remember them. But we're still in the phase of backlash to the word "Content", so if you don't like "Content", maybe you can relate to people who didn't like "Meme". Of course, different things are different, and there's a large difference in the concepts that are being flattened.

There was a je ne sais quoi to internet humour, which wasn't captured in using repurposed existing terms. Like "in-jokes", "fads", or "pop culture references", are all words for internet humour which would now be considered memes in the early 00's. We still discuss in-jokes, fads, and pop culture references, as separate things from memes. Not that all four are mutually exclusive, even!

Also i've been calling memes shorthand for internet humour, but I'm wrong, aren't I? Memes don't have to be funny. I'm not talking about failed attempts at humour (although there is an endless fountain of that). Vaporwave is a memetic aesthetic, which often is more about vibes than humour. The backrooms/liminal spaces are a memetic concept which is also vibes. And speaking of backrooms, creepypasta is a meme format entirely about horror stories and not humour (only funny on accident) (but often extremely funny nonetheless).

anyway here are some examples of memes:

oh yeah and meme elitists were epic fail. the word 'meme' is pwnage, as shown by the fact it won teh internet

i think it would be funny to start saying "dead meme" again about jokes older than three years old though.

so do u ever think about memes
disregard that, i suck cocks
All my social links are on the home page of my website, just above the webrings.

Image Image

madness
Reactions:
Pronouns: she/her

Re: memes

Post by madness »

touch grass
we seek greater knowledge to make greater decisions when the time for making decisions appears - to be the most capable versions of ourselves in any situation that arises - this is why we study - this is why we learn
amagicmuffin
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: they/them

Post by amagicmuffin »

yes a meme
Image a broken ring of mail <3
RogerMexico
Websurfer
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by RogerMexico »

mrwillhorlen
Banned
Reactions:

Post by mrwillhorlen »

you know, by richard dawkins' definition, anything could be a meme, even you
GoonyBaloney
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/they

Post by GoonyBaloney »

mrwillhorlen wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:00 pm you know, by richard dawkins' definition, anything could be a meme, even you
Even me?

Anachronism
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/Him, Don't Care

Post by Anachronism »

amagicmuffin wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:55 am Image

yes a meme
I laughed at this. More meme-y than most memes.
[əˈnakrəˌnizəm]

NOUN
a thing belonging or appropriate to a period other than that in which it exists, especially a thing that is conspicuously old-fashioned:
"I am an anachronism, I am stuck in 5 generations at once."
Anachronism
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/Him, Don't Care

Post by Anachronism »

I got into a debate a couple weeks ago about 'meme'. Because funny posts arn't memes. Memes need to adapt and stuff. You posting a mildly funny video isn't a meme, but if it is of some Simsonwave video that doesn't seem like a traditional meme but has been warped into obscurity, that is a meme. So yea.
[əˈnakrəˌnizəm]

NOUN
a thing belonging or appropriate to a period other than that in which it exists, especially a thing that is conspicuously old-fashioned:
"I am an anachronism, I am stuck in 5 generations at once."