Online spaces for just hanging out

Coordinate online projects, activities and digital meetups, and share socials.
Sofly
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: She/Her

Online spaces for just hanging out

Post by Sofly »

Oh hey hi

Y'know, i've been thinking lately about how few spaces online are left where you could just make an avatar and hang out, they either died down completely or became so monetized that someone playing for free would miss out on so much that it wouldn't even be worth it

I'ts honestly a shame, not only because of nostalgia, but because for a long time i've been struggling to find a game or environment or something where my friends and i could just make an avatar and hang out with no clear objective; just us fooling around, maybe a minigame or two, and the likes

But, and this is a big but; i thought that forums were completely dead and yet here i am, in a really active one; i thought IRC was dead, and i've been proven wrong; i often underestimate how people will keep on improving and mantaining stuff that someone would think it's completely forgotten, so i wanted to ask, am i wrong with this too?, is there a scene that looks to keep alive the legacy of browser MMOs and similar still alive?

I'm eager to hear what you have to say about this

Necrosia
Reactions:

Re: Online spaces for just hanging out

Post by Necrosia »

I'm curious to see what people will answer, as for me it's discord...WAIT! Hear me out first.

Not all servers, of course, some are too big and fast paced that it's impossible to do anything but other smaller focused servers are very good! I moderate a discord server for another forum I partake and it has barely 50 users but only around 15 of them are active. It's very cozy and friendly and in my opinion one of the most comfortable places online I have ever been, the conversations move on a pace easy to keep track even if you are not online all the time, everyone is helpful and nice. I am aware that this must be the exception rather than the rule but I think discord can be a nice place to just hang around if you have the right server.

Aside from that, you could try Furcadia, maybe? It's an antique mmo where the focus is precisely that, hanging around, maybe roleplaying and playing some user-made minigames.
cinni
Reactions:
Pronouns: she/her

Post by cinni »

Seconding Furcadia :) I'm a long time player and it's honestly perfect for just chilling around and chatting, creating your own worlds to be in and have full creative freedom. Feel free to hit me up about it, I'm on there everyday!

Image [[shop]]
Rynn
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: Any

Post by Rynn »

Necrosia wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:58 pm I'm curious to see what people will answer, as for me it's discord...WAIT! Hear me out first.

Not all servers, of course, some are too big and fast paced that it's impossible to do anything but other smaller focused servers are very good! I moderate a discord server for another forum I partake and it has barely 50 users but only around 15 of them are active. It's very cozy and friendly and in my opinion one of the most comfortable places online I have ever been, the conversations move on a pace easy to keep track even if you are not online all the time, everyone is helpful and nice. I am aware that this must be the exception rather than the rule but I think discord can be a nice place to just hang around if you have the right server.

Aside from that, you could try Furcadia, maybe? It's an antique mmo where the focus is precisely that, hanging around, maybe roleplaying and playing some user-made minigames.
The major issue with Discord is that it is a proprietary protocol controlled by a single company. We need to move away from walled gardens like that fast as possible.
[Vultr Hosting] ($100 credit referral link)
[Gemini Protocol]
Necrosia
Reactions:

Post by Necrosia »

Rynn wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:50 am
Necrosia wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:58 pm I'm curious to see what people will answer, as for me it's discord...WAIT! Hear me out first.

The major issue with Discord is that it is a proprietary protocol controlled by a single company. We need to move away from walled gardens like that fast as possible.
Agreed, but the more you move away from what is easily accessible the greater the risk of becoming an exoteric clique, you end up excluding the regular end user whos is the one hurt the most by web3 simply because they don't know better.
Sofly
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by Sofly »

cinni wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:22 am Seconding Furcadia :) I'm a long time player and it's honestly perfect for just chilling around and chatting, creating your own worlds to be in and have full creative freedom. Feel free to hit me up about it, I'm on there everyday!

I saw Furcadia being talked a lot about in here for quite a while, like the meetup post from not so long ago

At first i dismissed it seeing as i'm not really a furry, but i still may take a look at it some day seeing how open it is for customization and the likes, and i'll let you know when i do!

Ray
Webwalker
Reactions:
Pronouns: They/She

Post by Ray »

Sofly wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:38 pm I saw Furcadia being talked a lot about in here for quite a while, like the meetup post from not so long ago

At first i dismissed it seeing as i'm not really a furry, but i still may take a look at it some day seeing how open it is for customization and the likes, and i'll let you know when i do!
One of the default avatar is a human if you don't like anthro animals much! :D and since most people are just there to chat and socialize, the "furry" aspect isn't that relevant tbh. Yeah most regulars there will have a fursona, but you really don't need to be a furry to join in regular life chitchats. Maybe avoid furry roleplay maps and 18+ spaces specifically, though! xD

I often have thought that Furcadia could've been something way more popular and mainstream if it had been called something else and had less of a direct connection to the Furry fandom specifically. Lots of people don't mind animals, fantasy settings, MMOs, but lots will avoid furry spaces (often for very valid reasons lmao).
I think Furc used to have a much stronger connection to its furry soul at first, when it was basically a furry RP hub. But nowadays it's mostly just an online place where people hang out to chat and show off their cute avatars and well made maps. :D
Image ImageIf we're not supposed to dance, Why all this music?

Keep in touch: The Web Raft, everyone welcome!
Say hi! ray@emailsnail.net
@plantcreature Telegram
Happy to make friends! <3
Sofly
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by Sofly »

Ray wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:22 pm
One of the default avatar is a human if you don't like anthro animals much! :D and since most people are just there to chat and socialize, the "furry" aspect isn't that relevant tbh. Yeah most regulars there will have a fursona, but you really don't need to be a furry to join in regular life chitchats. Maybe avoid furry roleplay maps and 18+ spaces specifically, though! xD

I often have thought that Furcadia could've been something way more popular and mainstream if it had been called something else and had less of a direct connection to the Furry fandom specifically. Lots of people don't mind animals, fantasy settings, MMOs, but lots will avoid furry spaces (often for very valid reasons lmao).
I think Furc used to have a much stronger connection to its furry soul at first, when it was basically a furry RP hub. But nowadays it's mostly just an online place where people hang out to chat and show off their cute avatars and well made maps. :D
I ended up making an account at the end!, completed the tutorial and all, but i still feel i need to get used to the movement system, since i never played a game that moves your character like that

I will most likely check out other people's dreams some other day, to see if there's inspiration to be taken and people to chat with (and get help from too, lol)

Cobra!
Webmaster
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/They

Post by Cobra! »

One space I’d live hang out more is actually VRChat. (and I don’t rven have a headset!)

Sometimes I like something a little more personal than just text. I love to talk to people with voice, and VRChat being what it is gives me 3D avatars to associate the voices with, and nice fantasy environments. It almost feels like real life, but better! :D

Problem is, I’m too introverted to talk to strangers on it, and even if I wasn’t, most people using it are either way younger than me or don’t speak my language.

I loved when VRChat meetups were arranged on the Yesterweb Discord, but haven’t seen anything like that here…
Phexe
Reactions:

Post by Phexe »

For me it used to be VRChat!! We had a small group of friends who were super creative so just going on and seeing eachothers new worlds and avatars was always amazing and it was super easy just to get lost in it. Sadly that friend group has pretty much disbanded now and i dont get the time id like to work on my projects but i know they are still out there!

Aslong as you are able to find a nice little like-minded friend group the game can be amazing. However it can also be a suppper gross place if you arnt careful.

I loved how i was able to freely make my own things and improve my skills whilst also just having fun :)

You also dont need VR to join!