Issues with motivation

Talk about your website ideas, web design, coding, software and hardware.
tako
Reactions:

Issues with motivation

Post by tako »

This might be a bit vent-y, but I really had to say something about it, because it's really been weighing me down.

I first created my website in 2020, and have been working on it for the past 3 years. It never really had a focus, just me messing around with web design really, although I've been trying to give it a direction to go in. But I've been having a problem for the last few months. I'm not having fun working on my website. Like, I feel like I should work on it, but I just don't find it fun anymore.

I want the motivation to work on my site, some excitement to push me to put effort into it, but it's just not been there at all. Has anyone else suffered from this, or is it just me?
Image - Hey, you! You're a creature now. Add this to your signature to creature everyone else! :}c
Starfia
Websurfer
Reactions:

Something more fundamental

Post by Starfia »

I don't know whether I've personally suffered from it, but I'm pretty confident it's not just you and that acknowledging it is more productive than denying it.

(It's a cool site, by the way – I peeked and realized I'd previously browsed it.)

I've taken the whole journey where I started a site in the early days, neglected it during the social media rise, and returned with more interest and dedication than ever – and also as a better programmer than ever, and with more ideas, goals, time, and will to experiment than ever. Maybe some of those ideas and goals are what keep me feeling excited to work on it, whereas I've certainly felt I have fewer goals and ideas in other creative areas at other times.

Like anything creative, maintaining a web page is the method by which we act on something more fundamental ("I want to make something cool for friends," "I want to record my ideas for stangers from across the world to stumble on," "I want to have direct conversations with people," "I want to put random thoughts on display," "I want to satisfy a school project in a unique way," "I want to advocate for something"). If there isn't something like that beneath, then it's probably fine to take some quiet time until there is something.
kazewa
Reactions:

Re: Issues with motivation

Post by kazewa »

tako wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:34 pm Has anyone else suffered from this
Yes. Take a break.

Seriously though, I have suffered from this very often. At one point I left my website untouched for 5 months or so and I didn't even look at it. Then, after I had time to fertilize my brain with other stuff, I went back to building my website with many new ideas. Another thing I've also done is make multiple websites for different kinds of topics. Maybe I don't feel like working on one of them, but I might have ideas for another one.
RogerMexico
Websurfer
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by RogerMexico »

At a certain point motivation dries up. We can’t rely on the classic sense of motivation as inspiration to keep going. At some point we have to move into motivation as discipline. Nothing is fun forever, but if it’s important to us we keep going. A few hours a week, like going to the gym.

This is easier said than done of course. The web is full of abandoned projects and there’s nothing wrong with that.

What I’m more interested in is what part of the process is getting you down? Is it the content? Is it expanding design? Building new features?

There’s different answers to those questions. Sometimes streamlining a process can help. Automating some part of the process. Sometimes incorporating and learning a new technology or technique can help.

Sometimes things are just done and there’s nothing more to add.
sixeyes
Webmaster
Reactions:
Pronouns: they/them

Post by sixeyes »

Yes! Reiterating others here.. but yeah, for me, this is just the cycle of things. A couple of months into a project i realize that i'm not as interested anymore. That's fine! I'll focus on other things for a while, and eventually i'll come back around with fresh eyes.

(Being too extreme about this mindset leads to things like "album released four years after completion")

I would probably advice you to pick up something else entirely (easier said than done, i know) or to investigate some other angle, for a while.
hima_online
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/she/they

Post by hima_online »

yeah... happens to the best of us, i lost my drive for programming in general for a while but while i took my breaks and focused on myself more, it kinda helped me get back on track!
"I feel so clean like a money machine oh yeah." - 100 gecs.
Starfighter
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by Starfighter »

Everything I do turn into something I should do rather than something I want to do. This is how I've been my whole life, from choice of studies to home projects, all my hobbies, interests and... well everything. I've dealt with the guilt that comes from losing interest by trying to accepting myself for who I am (ADHD, depression, anxiety). Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. :D Anyway, something that's been true through it all is that I can never force things to be interesting again. It has to happen on its own.

This one time I had a project I was very passionate about and of course eventually I stopped caring about it and it turned into another one of the "I should get to it" kind of things. I kept notes around that reminded me I should pick it back up and those notes stressed me out everyday and the thought of returning to the project became more and more daunting ("it's been too long, where would I even start", "i'll do it I swear, just not today"). Finally I thought "fuck it" and threw the reminders away and let myself move on. A few months later I was back at it. I don't know why, really, but I need to completely forget stuff for a while for my interest to come back.