Discord is overwhelming.

Talk about the past, present and future of the internet.
williewillus
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/him

Discord is overwhelming.

Post by williewillus »

I'm basically forced to be on Discord since it's where many online communities congregate, sometimes exclusively. I'll save the reason why I hate that for another time.

But one thing that has increasingly been a problem is just how...overwhelming of a space Discord is. By default, joining a guild opens the floodgates of every channel to you, with white dots on every single unread channel, and you can't actually "leave" channels like IRC or Slack, you can only mute them which grays them out but doesn't hide them unless you find and check a specific option.

Everything screams for your attention all the time, and people are always anxious or policing to make sure whatever they are talking about is "on-topic" for the channel, so it leads to conversations that are somewhat rigid.

I dread having to join a new Discord. These days I just ask my question and leave, IRC style. Otherwise, I'll have to dedicate half an hour to muting everything I don't care about.

The persistent nature of membership means that at any time, the general public channel of a specific guild I'm in has over 12000 people idling and potentially seeing whatever I send. That is frightening.

In the old IRC days (2012-2016 for me), there was often just one channel dedicated to whatever topic or project at hand, and conversation flowed freely (with a general rule that on-topic trumped off-topic). People left whenever they were done talking, but it was always nice to see the same regulars every day, greet them, and make small talk.

So one of my questions too is, why are channels so fragmented nowadays? What used to be one IRC channel for that guild I mentioned earlier is now over 25 different public and private channels. What was gained in lost in that regard? Why do people still clamor for more features to silo discussion such as Discord's threads or "forums"?

Does anyone feel the same way?
nightwolf334
Websurfer
Reactions:

Re: Discord is overwhelming.

Post by nightwolf334 »

Discord's appeal is that it is free, and a lot less complicated than TS,Vent or Mumble to host voice. Other than I do not think it really has any good social advantages and has a lot more mental drawbacks like you have mentioned. I don't care to be in a guild discord because I only want to hear from them when I play. The whole idea of being constantly connected to every aspect of your life all at once is so paralysing. I think Discord is quite good as an IM service, but I do not like it for anything else. It is way too annoying for my liking.
nighten
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by nighten »

I really share your sentiment. There are some very nice people, but I mentally can't handle it. Instant chat and life in general make me anxious now, so I can't blame all of this on Discord; but things like the constant pings, conversation being interrupted by gifs, everyone being able to see when you type, really doesn't help.

I still have an account because I'm sometime contacted by clients over there, but I really don't know how people are able to be active on multiple community at once.

To nuance your point, maybe your appeal for IRC came from the fact that the community was smaller? I never really used IRC back in the day, but I don't think it ever got adopted at the same scale as Discord* (or even previous chat software, I was on skype at the time)

*Especially for non tech savvy people
manpaint
Reactions:
Pronouns: He

Post by manpaint »

Yeah, big Discord server are definitively quite something.

I personally think Discord is best used with small and non-public servers - like small friends groups.

I also pretty much mute anything aside for two low-activity servers (since I mod them).

My opinion on this is probably biased sinced I use this platform since 2016, but I think it's one of the least harmful social media platform.

On Discord, threre is no algorithm (aside maybe in the server finder thing?), meaning you engage directly with people rather than "content". In my book, this is a plus.

The one thing I really dislike about Discord is how it is a black hole for information. Since Discord channel can't be crawled using search engine or the Wayback Machine, this means that if a server is deleted/inacessible, the info get lost.
yequari
Websurfer
Reactions:

Post by yequari »

---
Last edited by yequari on Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grafo
Reactions:

Post by Grafo »

I agree with your feeling, Discord is overwhelming and that's why I stoped actively using it on the regular other than check the Yesterweb one from time to time.
I think when the size of a server reaches a certain point it just become unrecognizable from any other social media: just a constant wave of information that it's impossible to follow unless you are 24/7 connected and giving your full attention to it.
littlebeggar
Reactions:

Post by littlebeggar »

These days I just ask my question and leave, IRC style.
I think this is good, and I think if you polled the generally active discord folks, they'd almost 100% say they don't want anyone to feel obligated to read all the posts, and tbh outside of "answers to my questions specifically" I personally don't get a lot out of all the other chatter. (Though I'm not against it, people can enjoy socializing wherever) I think the feeling of obligation comes from the atmosphere of always-on notifications etc, and everyone wants to fight against it.
sixeyes
Webmaster
Reactions:
Pronouns: they/them

Post by sixeyes »

hehe, i agree with all of you. (after all, that's kind of why i'm here, i couldn't with the yesterweb discord.)

i'm only on five or six discord servers, yesterweb included, but that's still close to a hundred channels. it's just so much! i dont think ive ever heard the discord message sound and had a clear indication of where discussion is taking place, since every channel has unread messages.

i've heard a lot of friends tell me that "oh yeah, super important, the absolute first thing you do when joining a new server is to mute it entirely". and these people are gamers! :p
OppositeKeith
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by OppositeKeith »

ive been using discord since 2018 and before i would have 10 servers being active in. now im only in just 6 servers 3 of which i would big servers. while im still active in them here or there i completely understand the overwhelming feeling you have on them especially on servers based around fandoms and big youtubers. god i cant begin to tell to you how garbage those youtuber type discord servers are, at the very least fandom discord servers are more organized in terms of dealing with kids,trolls, and edgelords from my experience at least. for me though im just used to chaos of those servers and gotten used to the LOL random moments that happens. i understand that discord has its drawbacks as well and it gets pretty addicting fast which is why i usually stop myself from joining calls and such in favor of just going to sleep.
Veezle
Websurfer
Reactions:

Post by Veezle »

100% agree. This is why I don't really use Discord anymore (other than DMing with friends), and why I prefer to stick with forums like this. I was actually really glad when Yesterweb decided to start a forum because I did not like having the Discord server being the only option to interact with the community.
No longer on Yesterweb.
juette
Webmaster
Reactions:
Pronouns: it/he/they

Post by juette »

discord is hell for finding anything even when you know soemthing has been talked about in a specific server. if youre looking for a certain solution to a problem you can look up keywords but itll bring up everything containing those words including things that arent related to the problem you have at all and its really annoying. discord is good for just chatting but i hate how help/support forums are being replaced entirely by discord servers
sixeyes
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by sixeyes »

juette wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:44 pm discord is hell for finding anything even when you know soemthing has been talked about in a specific server. if youre looking for a certain solution to a problem you can look up keywords but itll bring up everything containing those words including things that arent related to the problem you have at all and its really annoying. discord is good for just chatting but i hate how help/support forums are being replaced entirely by discord servers
mmm. in university for a couple of courses they replaced the forum (that nobody much used, mind) with a slack channel (if unfamiliar, slack is basically discord ~for bussinesses~ ie. light theme and no steam integration). and more, the university used the free tier of slack, which meant that only the last 15k (iirc) messages were stored, server-wide..... so yeah, there were much traffic in the channel, by everyone asking the same questions over and over again, because they would immediately disappear. and after a while people got bored and stopped answering. it was like induced group amnesia. like the opposite of a knowledge bank, just a black hole.

i made myself unpopular by complaining a lot about it. in the end they decided to pay for slack, so at least messages were saved. but searching in slack is ... not good, anyway. (and then i jumped ship :p)
Cobra!
Webmaster
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/They

Post by Cobra! »

williewillus wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:14 am Everything screams for your attention all the time, and people are always anxious or policing to make sure whatever they are talking about is "on-topic" for the channel, so it leads to conversations that are somewhat rigid.

I dread having to join a new Discord. These days I just ask my question and leave, IRC style. Otherwise, I'll have to dedicate half an hour to muting everything I don't care about.

The persistent nature of membership means that at any time, the general public channel of a specific guild I'm in has over 12000 people idling and potentially seeing whatever I send. That is frightening.
That's a good point, actually. I'm always constantly at my server limit because I'm a game developer, who also likes to dip into homebrew and game modding, and I'm in loads of these servers just in the off-chance I have something to ask or get help on. I'm only active in a handful of servers out of the near 100 I'm in!

Most of those servers don't have alternative matrix guilds or XMPP/IRC rooms.

I also own a few servers, most notably one that focuses on the Scots language. I started it before I realised how terrible the company behind Discord is and how they're just as bad as everyone else in terms of privacy. The server is active and has hundreds of members, as well as being a place for the wider Scots community to discuss ideas and organise things, especially with the Scots Wikipedia, so I'm kind of stuck here now, and I don't trust anyone to take over.

I've noticed that when people leave the server, I almost take it personally. When someone joins to ask something and then leave, I see it as weird, when it was common in the IRC days.

I do think the idea of having permanent membership in a chatroom/guild/server has it's place. If there's somewhere you just enjoy chatting in, it's good to know that the place in question is still there should you have a break or whatever, but I feel it's used by Discord (and formerly Skype) to keep you engaged on their platform, so they can do the usual data collection and branding to advertisers...

I feel like I was happy in a world before Discord, like with most social media. While it has it's uses, especially as a game dev for networking, I feel like mentally it's made me feel worse. I kind of hope Discord somehow pulls an Elon Musk and people migrate to Matrix like they did from Twitter to Mastodon.
artemis
Websurfer
Reactions:
Pronouns: she/her

Post by artemis »

large discord servers are absolutely overwhelming for me, too. i orginally started using discord for a very small pet site i was on so that was very manageable, very casual chit chat type situation and i really enjoyed that. i also think it's great for one on one chats with friends.
joining larger servers i tend to lurk much much more than i would like because i feel anxious trying to "just jump in" to any conversation or things like that when it's very clear people already know each other. it's new kid at school vibes for me and i find it quite scary.
nitronine
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/It

Post by nitronine »

yeah, large servers are the worst. They make me so anxious... discord is only good when the server is just you and a few friends imo
Sadness
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Sadness »

I only started using Discord in 2016 or so, and at first I found the different channels really nice. I had memories of being in big chatrooms when I was younger, and I always felt like things scrolled by too quickly, and it was hard to reply to other users' messages for this reason. Sometimes by the time you got a response typed out, the chat had already moved onto the next thing. At first, for a while, it felt like Discord could revolutionize chatting.

In a way I still really like the Discord-specific chat features specifically: that you can reply to a message directly, and have a link that points to the original message, that there could be multiple spaces in the same "chatspace" so that if you wanted to say something unrelated to the current conversation, you could move into an emptier or more topic-based space without interrupting anyone or derailing the conversation.

Once a chat, even on Discord, reaches a certain level of participation, all of that kind of stops mattering though. Because regardless of these other spaces (e.g., channels) or the ability to specifically respond to a message, it still gets crowded, fast-paced and "noisy". I suspect the same thing would happen in an IRC or Matrix server at a certain membership level. I definitely prefer tiny servers, if not group chats.
Twilight Fallen
Reactions:
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Twilight Fallen »

I really tried to use Discord when I found some compatriots playing a game that isn't that famous in my country. But I just couldn't understand how it worked.
swiftpaw
Reactions:
Pronouns: it/its

Post by swiftpaw »

If so many communities didn't move to Discord with no alternatives, I wouldn't use it. I also find it overwhelming and outside of conversations with people you know as a space it's a lot harder to actually converse in because there are so many people with quick messages that usually have little substance. Even if you do manage to have in-depth discussions if one person starts yelling the entire subject can quickly devolve into a screaming match.

When trying to find discussions that interest me it's also difficult. I can't just check into a server, see the messages in a glance, and leave, there are tens of channels each with their own topic. Of those channels there's no way to tell what was actually being talked about in there, like for a gaming channel I might be interested in a conversation about Stardew Valley or Pokemon, but would be very bored by conversations about games I've never played.

Compare to a forum where I can at least at a glance see what the newest topics were and some forums will even have a new posts section you can scroll through. I can actually see from the thread names what a topic was about and instead of a gaming channel there might be a gaming category with different active topics.

Another issue is because people can see you typing there's more pressure to respond quickly. Because Discord goes faster too the conversation might also move past the topic you were interested in before you're ready. While this might not be an issue if you can think and type quickly, I love to give detailed thoughts and sometimes I might spend a bit of time rewriting my responses.

That being said I think Discord is fine for what it was intended to do as a platform for people to coordinate with each other, but as the social monolith it is now trying to replace all other forms of online communication that's not a good thing and the issues become more clear.
kallisti
Reactions:

Post by kallisti »

I just wish people would use IRC, but they won't, so I end up on Discord. tbh the posting box I'm posting into doesn't really matter that much to me, but the neverending white dot BS is frustrating
Blog47177
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by Blog47177 »

I been to Discord and its basically the 2020's version of Facebook.
Cobra!
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by Cobra! »

Sadness wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:29 pm In a way I still really like the Discord-specific chat features specifically: that you can reply to a message directly, and have a link that points to the original message, that there could be multiple spaces in the same "chatspace" so that if you wanted to say something unrelated to the current conversation, you could move into an emptier or more topic-based space without interrupting anyone or derailing the conversation.
Thing is Discord didn’t revolutionise half of those. Matrix did them first, and that launched a year before Discord. The message reply thing, if I recall correctly, was available from the get go. Discord took a long time to implement that, and even then it was half-arsed at the start.
Blog47177 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:46 am I been to Discord and its basically the 2020's version of Facebook.
Pretty much. I feel like social media in general isn’t needed. The needs they serve were already met before they came along. Good marketing and PR just made them dominate.
glacial_pace
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by glacial_pace »

agreed. i think if discord just put you in like one general channel and linked you to a larger list of some that you can join/leave, the app would be 1000% times better
Starfia
Websurfer
Reactions:

Post by Starfia »

I've used Discord for several years. I appreciate that it's the best at much of what it's done well – it's easy and free to access, it's easy and free for anyone to create a community around live text exchange (and now audio, video and screen sources), and it's well-maintained. Not having used IRC but always having heard about it, I had interpreted Discord as its heir apparent.

I've always been curious about IRC since part of what people seemed to enjoy about it was the character, feeling or culture of its communal areas. ("On-topic trumps off-topic" is also a satisfyingly concise guideline.) I think I attribute that at least partially to the situation that IRC has always required a basic level of desire, responsibility and technical literacy as barriers to entry, which happens to filter out people who would tend to detract from or interfere with that culture. Discord reduces those barriers, so such tendencies are commoner there.

But I haven't experienced the overwhelming feeling you mention, and I suppose that's because I use it differently. I don't consider that I'm expected to participate actively at any time. I turn off almost all notifications. I generally join communities I'm interested in and am not an important figure in, and decline invitations to primarily social communities. On the desktop, I only use the web app rather than installing the native app.
Last edited by Starfia on Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loaf
Reactions:

Post by loaf »

I agree with people talking about big servers being overwhelming -- I wholeheartedly agree. I've never been one able to be thrown into a big server and swim. I get too shy to say anything! No idea how people make friends in big servers like that.

Also echoing what people have said, I've had good experiences using Discord with preexisting friends. I really like the search functionality -- being able to quickly find something said years ago, find that one link, quickly check how often you say "mm" as opposed to "hmm", etc. And it's always fun to reply to something a friend said like 4 years ago. Discord also in a lot of ways serves as a content hoster in addition to being a chat platform, which is a point worth thinking about -- say I'm doing a TTRPG campaign, everyone's character sheets, campaign lore, rules, etc. are readily available in their own channels. Discord has also proven to be a really useful tool for running online LARPs, though I imagine that's not a common use case, haha. I know that's Discord's bad on privacy, and if I could get people to move to a more secure equivalent, I would, but in terms of functionality, I can't really imagine anything better in terms of the use case of "small, private & personal group chat."
williewillus wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:14 am So one of my questions too is, why are channels so fragmented nowadays? What used to be one IRC channel for that guild I mentioned earlier is now over 25 different public and private channels. What was gained in lost in that regard?
The main utility for me at least is the ability to mute topics that I'm uninterested in. Less relevant on a big public server where every channel is constantly unread b/c everything moves so fast, but if I'm on a smaller server & actually keeping up with things, this makes it a lot more manageable.

As an aside, a few unusual social media behaviors emerged on my server with ~15 people over the 7 years we've been using it. One is that we each have "personal channels" for each of us, ostensibly to share us-related things. Often, we use those channels as a sort of public DM -- where you might ask a person specific questions, send them a link or start up a conversation with them, but with the possibility of anyone else joining the conversation. I feel like I haven't seen this kind of structure on any other Discord server -- has anyone else encountered anything like it?
doubleincision
Reactions:

Post by doubleincision »

loaf wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:26 am As an aside, a few unusual social media behaviors emerged on my server with ~15 people over the 7 years we've been using it. One is that we each have "personal channels" for each of us, ostensibly to share us-related things. Often, we use those channels as a sort of public DM -- where you might ask a person specific questions, send them a link or start up a conversation with them, but with the possibility of anyone else joining the conversation. I feel like I haven't seen this kind of structure on any other Discord server -- has anyone else encountered anything like it?
i own a discord server that initially started as a larger, public server, but over the years it's become a smaller, private, good-friends-only server, and we have some channels like that! some friends in the group aren't online super often, so we have channels that are specifically for that person to make sure they don't miss anything intended for them to see.

in my experience discord works best for servers like mine, the ones that are small to medium in size and that don't try to be anything grander than a loosely-organized chat group. the channel function is very good for keeping track of posts in a more specific way than one big unorganized group message like skype. because it has a pretty good search function, being able to narrow down a search into a more specific channel is great whenever i'm like "i need to find this picture i posted a while back, i would have put it in the #picdump channel so let me look in there specifically"

but once you try to turn a discord server into a full-fledged forum with lots of channels and organization it becomes unmanageable chaos very quickly :P
feralfox
Reactions:
Pronouns: Any

Post by feralfox »

I often find myself never really talking in public servers as much as private ones. I mainly grew up using skype and never really used forums too often, I'm really use to a chat type thing. I started using it back around mid 2016 I believe. Back then I was in a friend group of about..10 maybe 15 people, so of course skype chats were god-awful at times LOL. You'd often cut off other peoples conversations, or bury someone elses..or even something you're kind of interested in getting buried and never seen again. Discord definitely was better because it can be easier to manage conversions for a medium sized friend-group. Of course, that doesn't work for bigger groups of people.

Back then, there weren't too many servers. There were some small to medium-sized servers, even some big ones however few people were on at a time. That's changed big time. Discord has released a lot of new stuff to market the site toward bigger "communities" or "fanbases"...yeah WAY too anxiety-inducing for me. Discord added categories somewhere in 2018 and sure that helps with the organizing, but I still feel like everythings **too** in your face constantly. Every channel is shown to every member in the sidebar at once, and they're highlighted when there's a new message that hasn't been read yet..and you cannot hide the channels you'd rather not see. Some bigger servers still have the global option for notifications set to notify for EVERY message. I often find myself just not wanting to click on any big server because of that. There's always an incentive to keep checking... It gets really annoying and overwhelming very easily...and well, those things I said about skype back then also are happening once again in these bigger "communities" and "fanbases" on Discord...hell I'd even argue it's worse, since there's more people in a chat-type environment, the entire channel can easily be completely turned into chaos over some troll or some misunderstanding with someone not meaning any harm at all, and it almost always results into a channel being disabled for a period of time, moderators being overwhelmed, or people being hurt...So yeah, I think that focusing on the forum is a good idea for the Yesterweb atm.
Dumb fox on the internet. Likes drawing sometimes, broadcast media (like TV and radio), networking, and hates chrome.
amagicmuffin
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by amagicmuffin »

feralfox wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:33 am Every channel is shown to every member in the sidebar at once, and they're highlighted when there's a new message that hasn't been read yet..and you cannot hide the channels you'd rather not see.
you can mute channels and castegories and there's a separate checkbox somewhere that hides muted channels. When I join a new discord server, I do this until I practically only have one chatting area left. I should probably note that I've always disliked discord more than I liked it, even if I've only realized this recently--and for the same reasons that people have said above. It's so hard to connect. This might also just be because I don't have time to stay online as often as people do.

I do enjoy discord's ability to separate into channels, though. Announcement channels, role assignment channels (pronouns, etc), areas to ask for help, etc

edit: disliked discord more than I liked (+ it)
Last edited by amagicmuffin on Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image a broken ring of mail <3
feralfox
Reactions:

Post by feralfox »

amagicmuffin wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:11 am you can mute channels and castegories and there's a separate checkbox somewhere that hides muted channels. When I join a new discord server, I do this until I practically only have one chatting area left. I should probably note that I've always disliked discord more than I liked, even if I've only realized this recently--and for the same reasons that people have said above. It's so hard to connect. This might also just be because I don't have time to stay online as often as people do.
I honestly would love to know where the hide button is, I've never been able to find any of those options before.
Dumb fox on the internet. Likes drawing sometimes, broadcast media (like TV and radio), networking, and hates chrome.
amagicmuffin
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by amagicmuffin »

feralfox wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:35 am
amagicmuffin wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:11 am you can mute channels and castegories and there's a separate checkbox somewhere that hides muted channels. When I join a new discord server, I do this until I practically only have one chatting area left. I should probably note that I've always disliked discord more than I liked, even if I've only realized this recently--and for the same reasons that people have said above. It's so hard to connect. This might also just be because I don't have time to stay online as often as people do.
I honestly would love to know where the hide button is, I've never been able to find any of those options before.
:D Both on Desktop and Mobile, click (left or right, shouldn't matter) or tap on the server name (directly above all the channels; same dropdown you would use to leave a server). Then, toggle Hide Muted Channels.

One other little tech I use: If an entire category doesn't interest me, muting that category and then collapsing it is a quick way to hide all its subchannels. Expanding it shows the channels again. Vaguely useful if I think something like, "Oh, there's no way I'll be able to keep up with all the posts in this Media category, but I'd be happy checking some posts every once in a while" and I don't feel like toggling Hide Muted every time I want to peek at #art or something.
Image a broken ring of mail <3
Anachronism
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/Him, Don't Care

Post by Anachronism »

manpaint wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:21 pm Yeah, big Discord server are definitively quite something.

I personally think Discord is best used with small and non-public servers - like small friends groups.
Yes. Even with semi big servers. I was ~ the 500th member of a server, and even then there was maybe 30 active people in the channels I hung in. I loved that place, at one point, I was the 4th most active user of all time on this year or two old server. Since ~ October, it has ballooned to triple that size. I finally decided it was too much for me to feel like I was keeping up with my friends, and many of them had become pretty much inactive anyway. I decided to mute the server so I only get admin pings, and even then that is only because they are working on a wiki project I want to help with. :roll:
[əˈnakrəˌnizəm]

NOUN
a thing belonging or appropriate to a period other than that in which it exists, especially a thing that is conspicuously old-fashioned:
"I am an anachronism, I am stuck in 5 generations at once."
Rynn
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by Rynn »

The only Discord channels I'm active in are all small <100 member servers. I'm only on Discord due to the friend factor. Like others have expressed, I'd much rather see more utilization of IRC where I'm much more active, though this thread has given me a bit of interest in looking at Matrix. I've only really heard of Matrix in passing up til now.
[Vultr Hosting] ($100 credit referral link)
[Gemini Protocol]
Cobra!
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by Cobra! »

There’s a Klonoa forum I visit every day, where it’s just me and one other guy who are active on it. (There are a couple of semi-active people, though)

The other active guy had a bit of a mental breakdown because they were frustrated at how the forum isn’t getting any more activity. Not many Klonoa fans use the forum any more because Discord does the job for them.

We’ve been trying to get more people to join and use the forum, but with little success.
RogerMexico
Websurfer
Reactions:

Post by RogerMexico »

I simply mute most of the servers I'm in and periodically peek at them.

It's no more or less invasive or overwhelming than any other social media, imho.
swifty
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/they

Post by swifty »

i honestly am glad someone is saying it LOL. back in the day i really didnt like IM messages cuz i didnt like people replying INSTANTLY. i still sometimes feel the same way, and have to remind myself i dont have to respond right away.

honestly why i'm glad to have a forum or two to post on - i like longform responses a lot more, TBH, not everything needs a discord server, as they say!
Contest6284
Reactions:

Post by Contest6284 »

swifty wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:03 pm i honestly am glad someone is saying it LOL. back in the day i really didnt like IM messages cuz i didnt like people replying INSTANTLY. i still sometimes feel the same way, and have to remind myself i dont have to respond right away.

honestly why i'm glad to have a forum or two to post on - i like longform responses a lot more, TBH, not everything needs a discord server, as they say!
Yeah, I'm similar: I like instant messaging, which is why I use IRC - because I have the option to disappear when I don't feel like being involved in a conversation anymore.

I do have a problem where I like to see things as they are produced though, which is why I spend far too much time defaulting to refreshing my RSS feeds when I've got nothing else to do. :lol:
windigo
Reactions:
Pronouns: any

Post by windigo »

Oh yeah definitely, honestly I'd compare it to this forum. I usually have the tendency to open up my discord for no reason and then I'd spend hours scrolling through random servers. Compare that with this forum in which I'd usually visit it once in a while but I wouldn't feel so 'exhausted' because it's well organised and it doesn't have all of the crappy features that discord has. The thing that is so overwhelming about it is that it's trying to be everything in one package. It has the features of a VOIP and instant messaging app, it also includes the features of a forum.
Now it's impossible to escape it since everyone is using it.

Discord used to be great back in the day (6-7 years ago). I read a lot about how people found their old pals from "X" game after not being able to find them for years but then suddenly they were able to find the person on discord.

I hope that the normies will realise that discord is trying to use them like any other app. Heck look at how much it lost its identity: it tried the app for gamers (the whole ditch skype for discord shtick, also the discord store for games which failed miserably), it then tried being the app that people used for school during the pandemic , now it's trying to steal its the users' data in order to expand its corporate needs. .

If anyone has any IRC, Matrix, or other alternatives please DM me. I'd love to ditch discord but it's so hard to convince my friends to do so.

Don't forget to hydrate yourself!
Cobra!
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by Cobra! »

windigo wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:48 am If anyone has any IRC, Matrix, or other alternatives please DM me. I'd love to ditch discord but it's so hard to convince my friends to do so.
Just for the record, they’re called PMs (Private Messages) on forums. :wink:
(I lowkey think they’re called direct on places like Discord on purpose, because they’re not private, as Discord can still probably see them)

What I do to get people to contact me using an alternative is to simply make myself scarce on the bug platforms (or be lucky to be shadow banned on them). I managed to convince everyone but Discord friends to email or text me instead of using social media. It helped that I lost access to my Facebook account, but still.

I would love to do the same with Discord, but I own a couple of servers that have become quite popular, and as an indie game developer, all of my connections are on Discord and we hang out and help each other for projects.
I’ve helped alleviate the former by making Matrix bridges to my servers’ rooms, so I can monitor them from there, but not much I can do about the latter, at least right now. :|
yokaikai312
Reactions:

Post by yokaikai312 »

Agreed. There are always several conversations happening at once in one channel when it's a larger server and the convo topics change so quickly that by the time you send a message, everyone else is talking about something else. I started to only talk on private servers with my friends and just use other servers to lurk in
I'm very normal
Rynn
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by Rynn »

For those of you who've spent a lot of time with Matrix and/or XMPP, how do they compare to Discord?
[Vultr Hosting] ($100 credit referral link)
[Gemini Protocol]
Cobra!
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by Cobra! »

Rynn wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:12 pm For those of you who've spent a lot of time with Matrix and/or XMPP, how do they compare to Discord?
Matrix is the closest to Discord, you get rooms (which are the equivalent of channels), spaces (the equivalent of Discord servers. These are optional, and many rooms exist without spaces.) and servers/instances (as Matrix is federated, you have multiple instances, like ActivityPub). You join an instance, and can join spaces and rooms from others. I’m part of a instance hosted in my city.

It works, but can sometimes be slow and sometimes feels clunky, but the neat thing is you can select what rooms you get notifications in, unlike Discord. (At least last time I checked) So I only have a handful of rooms with notifications set on, and can just leave it running in the background, and if a new message pops up in a room I’m watching, it lets me know. Whereas with Discord, I need to keep it up and constantly check it.

XMPP by comparison is much simpler, they’re just like IRC chatrooms, but you can do things like send images and what not. If you were online in the mid to late 2000s, chances are you’ve used it before, as MSN, Yahoo!, Facebook, Skype and Google Talk all used it.

Both have their communities, but many rooms are dead, and it’s sad to see.
severe
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/It

Post by severe »

I don't know if it's just me and my ADHD but I do actually really enjoy the fast paced aspect of discord, except I only exclusively am active in small friend group servers, and that's significantly bettered my experience. I could never talk in a big server, the only big servers I ever even talk in are sims 4 servers occassionally. But otherwise if you're gonna use discord I recommend keeping to smaller servers and joining servers for your interests on disboard, because otherwise it DOES become an overwhelming experience.
Harmonie
Reactions:
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Harmonie »

I agree that it is overwhelming. The "chat" format has never appealed to me in any form it has ever taken. I have never really been active in even chatboxes on forums. They're, well, I don't know how to describe it... Scattered? The completely random convos, moving so fast. Discord is just more of that. I just prefer the way forums are.

Very small Discords can be fine. But I can't handle big Discords. The format just isn't for me.
^^A sig I actually used in the mid-2000s lol
colours
Reactions:

Post by colours »

i'm used to live chat formats, but this is because i've also used things like msn messenger/windows live messenger, and then skype, and well... now discord. after years of using them and establishing connections and friends and making memories with them, it's just what i'm used to these days.

but also, i'm used to the days of vibing on forums a bit more than on live chats so there's that xD

but i don't blame anything for thinking discord is overwheming, because it definitely can be! the fast-paced nature of conversation can be quite a bit to keep up with. personally, i don't bother. i don't try to keep up with every little conversation and if it's that important, i'm sure it's in a pin somewhere or in an announcement channel or something.
Blog47177
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by Blog47177 »

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/internet/d ... -rcna79571

Now Discord is going to get more attention now that this social media outlet is in the Spotlight for the Classified Pentagon Leaks allegations. Expect the CEO of Discord to appear in Congress the same way Mark Zuckerberg of Meta and Jack Dorsey did in the past when allegations at Social Media outlets come up.
windigo
Reactions:
Pronouns: any

Post by windigo »

Cobra! wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:33 am
windigo wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:48 am If anyone has any IRC, Matrix, or other alternatives please DM me. I'd love to ditch discord but it's so hard to convince my friends to do so.
Just for the record, they’re called PMs (Private Messages) on forums. :wink:
(I lowkey think they’re called direct on places like Discord on purpose, because they’re not private, as Discord can still probably see them)

What I do to get people to contact me using an alternative is to simply make myself scarce on the bug platforms (or be lucky to be shadow banned on them). I managed to convince everyone but Discord friends to email or text me instead of using social media. It helped that I lost access to my Facebook account, but still.

I would love to do the same with Discord, but I own a couple of servers that have become quite popular, and as an indie game developer, all of my connections are on Discord and we hang out and help each other for projects.
I’ve helped alleviate the former by making Matrix bridges to my servers’ rooms, so I can monitor them from there, but not much I can do about the latter, at least right now. :|
Oh yeah that's pretty true. I don't know if I wrote in my former post but I managed to get some people to make accounts on matrix but then 90% of them stopped using it. Also random question but is it just me or is the matrix session verification a little buggy (in the sense that I couldn't verify with my friend even though we were both using element but the friend was using element on iphone and I tried verifying from android/using an iOS user agent/windows/linux and it didn't work) ?
I feel like Matrix might be a little counter intuitive and overwhelming for new users because it actually encrypts conversations and it's so easy to lose the keys (i.e if a person accidentally removes the former devices from the verified section, thus losing the keys or forgetting the password from the backup, it sucks).

Also, I really hope that the discord bridge could somehow become a little easier to manage (i.e being able to bridge multiple channels at once or even vc but honestly that'd be pretty complicated to implement. if not impossible).
Well, for now we just have to wait for Discord to burn just like Skype did.

Don't forget to hydrate yourself!
newredstone02
Reactions:

Post by newredstone02 »

why discord channels are more fragmented? because forums
you see big discord servers are based more on forums than IRC
why you will say forums was more popular than IRC in popular crowd
so most pepole use channels as sub-forums than IRC channel

When i was a kid most old forums/personal sites where overwhelming too.
Cobra!
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by Cobra! »

windigo wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:33 pm Oh yeah that's pretty true. I don't know if I wrote in my former post but I managed to get some people to make accounts on matrix but then 90% of them stopped using it. Also random question but is it just me or is the matrix session verification a little buggy (in the sense that I couldn't verify with my friend even though we were both using element but the friend was using element on iphone and I tried verifying from android/using an iOS user agent/windows/linux and it didn't work) ?
I feel like Matrix might be a little counter intuitive and overwhelming for new users because it actually encrypts conversations and it's so easy to lose the keys (i.e if a person accidentally removes the former devices from the verified section, thus losing the keys or forgetting the password from the backup, it sucks).

Also, I really hope that the discord bridge could somehow become a little easier to manage (i.e being able to bridge multiple channels at once or even vc but honestly that'd be pretty complicated to implement. if not impossible).
Well, for now we just have to wait for Discord to burn just like Skype did.
I just leave my direct messaging unencrypted. It’s not like we have anything illegal to share anyway.

As for the bridge, I just create a space with multiple rooms, have the room align with the Discord channels and bridge them accordingly.

I could actually use those instead of Discord for chatting and only use Discord for any needed moderation, but that still leaves the game dev stuff.