what linux distro do you use?

Talk about your website ideas, web design, coding, software and hardware.
OppositeKeith
Webmaster
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/him

what linux distro do you use?

Post by OppositeKeith »

i still use windows...BUT i am currently thinking of switching to linux using a flash drive. i do want to make this thread for fun and wanted to ask what distro do yall use and whats your personal experience with your current one or distros you once used before no longer do and switched to another?
sixeyes
Webmaster
Reactions:
Pronouns: they/them

Re: what linux distro do you use?

Post by sixeyes »

i started with ubuntu, because we had messed up expensive metered internet for a very long while, but canonical would send you install CD's for free??? to another continent no less? i've then jumped around a bit, my first "oh yeah" moment was with crunchbang, but that's discontinued since long. i came back to ubuntu because of its focus on being more-or-less ready for use without any weird surprises, but then their amazon partership and things got a little too weird for me.

currently my personal computer is a mac... it's unix enough for me to be comfortable. (originally started using a mac to piss off my friends at uni who were deeply entrenched in the OS wars, but quickly found out i actually liked it). anyway, if i were to get a linux laptop today, i'd go for mint if i wanted something that "just worked", or arch if i wanted to really get down in it.

((for my server i use debian))

if youre planning to run linux off of a flash drive, i think some are better than others for that. make sure they will persist your changes, for example.
Cobra!
Webmaster
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/They

Post by Cobra! »

I started off with Linux Lite on an old laptop, and I loved it. It ran awfully slow with Windows 7, but Linux Lite gave it a new breath of life, and run it like it was brand new!

When I got a proper desktop computer, I switched to Linux Mint, and then with a newer build, eventually settled with Ubuntu, as Mint had issues with the GPU I had.

I haven't tried any other category of Distro in great detail, but Fedora seemed cool when I tried it on a VM. Arch has a package for GopherVR, so that's a plus?
nightwolf334
Websurfer
Reactions:

Post by nightwolf334 »

I have always used MINT for both laptop and desktops. Since Windows 8 I find that Linux is a bit more challenged in the portable space as the optimisation of laptops for contemporary Windows OSes is unmatched. Especially in regards to battery life.
yequari
Websurfer
Reactions:

Post by yequari »

---
Last edited by yequari on Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grafo
Reactions:

Post by Grafo »

I'm currently running Arco Linux on my laptop but started on this Linux thing using Mint.
So far I didn't have much of a problem with Arco and also Erik Dubois channel (the guy who maintains the distro) covers basically everything that can go with it, super helpful
https://youtube.com/c/ErikDubois
Silbermöwe
Reactions:

Post by Silbermöwe »

I started off using mint a few years ago. It was great as a starter's distro, but I got bored a few months ago and switched to Artix. The transition wasn't as hard as it's made out to be (although the installation was a pain in the ass). I feel like I'm learning a lot more about Linux after switching because I have to fix a lot of things manually, which just wasn't a thing in Mint since almost everything's ready out of the box and I rarely had to use the terminal at all. I'm really glad I chose to switch.
OppositeKeith
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by OppositeKeith »

i now have switched completely from windows to linux mint and it runs pretty well. dont know how this is gonna go for me but hopefully it will go well for me.
少女の口びるに蝶よ止まれ
Reactions:
Pronouns: She/her

Post by 少女の口びるに蝶よ止まれ »

I've been using Arch for ± one year and a half now. It's surprisingly simple to maintain while being extremely customizable, and it works like a charm to me.

I've also used antiX and Obarun. I would recommend antiX for someone who has a slow computer. I didn't feel much of a difference between Obarun and Arch (the first one is a modification of the last one with S6 instead of SystemD) other than suffering with SystemD's obtuse hegemony and being locked out of certain apps even when trying to compile them myself.
OppositeKeith
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by OppositeKeith »

nightwolf334 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:56 pm I have always used MINT for both laptop and desktops. Since Windows 8 I find that Linux is a bit more challenged in the portable space as the optimisation of laptops for contemporary Windows OSes is unmatched. Especially in regards to battery life.
unfortunately yeah. my usual battery life for linux mint would be mostly around 3 to 5 hours in battery life. a pain in the ass sometimes but for the most part ill handle it well enough since i use it for casual usage.
Blog47177
Webmaster
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Blog47177 »

I use Ubuntu Studio and Mint as my daily driver.
marginalia
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by marginalia »

Curently on PopOS as a daily driver. I've used Debian and Slackware for a long time before. But currently using whatever seems to have the least broken HiDPI support.

My servers are on Debian though.
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in
konstanz
Reactions:

Post by konstanz »

LinuxMint (LMDE) and PopOS. PopOS has a pretty interesting UI but still find myself using LMDE as my "main."
fLaMEd
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by fLaMEd »

I use Pop!_OS on my main machine. This is my second go at not having a Windows machine; I have gone 12 months now.

I am looking forward to the new Cosmic desktop environment the Pop team is developing.
slacker
Reactions:
Pronouns: o/fo

Post by slacker »

I've been using Ubuntu since 2008... strayed to other distros (which have been fine in the main) but always come back to what I've got used to. There are odd exceptions, e.g. I keep an old Panasonic Toughbook with a Win7 HD that I swap in when I want to get recordings from my old Topfield Freeview box, or use some other hardware that's tied to earlier versions of Windows, like my 35mm film scanner. I hate throwing out good hardware just because it's been obsoleted by a lack of modern drivers!
lime360
Reactions:

Post by lime360 »

a while back ago i used zorin os, which is basically a linux distro with bulit-in wine and play on linux, but after repair my pc went back to windows 10
Mantis Orientalis
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by Mantis Orientalis »

Slackware! Package management is controlled purely by me and it comes as a fully-fledged OS right out of the box. I've never had a problem with hardware support using it, which is probably because of the huge kernel.

Its what I like to call "macro-minimalist", where you have (mostly) everything you need sitting before you at your disposal. I enjoy the minimalism of things like Gentoo and Arch but I prefer the ease of Slackware. Its minimalist but in a different sense.

Some people complain about boot times with Slackware, but I don't mind. If I ever cared about boot time though I'd just config my own kernel. But I like it how it is.

Theres this somewhat old saying that goes something like:
"If you use Ubuntu, you learn Ubuntu. If you use SuSE, you learn SuSE. But if you use Slackware, you learn Linux."
I can confidently say that its true. I've learned more using Slackware than any other distro I've tried, which includes things like arch and gentoo.

My other favorite and my second go-to distro is Void. I just like it. It just works when I need it.

Starfighter
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by Starfighter »

I started with SliTaz since I had a very weak laptop at the time. It worked well but it wasn't the best for newbies, I had to do a lot of learning to do the most basic of tasks. When I got a beefier PC I went with Mint instead and that was my main distro for a few years. When it broke down (don't know how or why, it just refused to boot back up one day and I spent two weeks troubleshooting it without success) I went back to Windows. I sometimes dream about rocking Linux again but then I remember all the things I need Windows for and how I don't want to dual boot and I don't have enough room for two main PC's so... No Linux for me!
Jeff
Reactions:

Post by Jeff »

Last edited by Jeff on Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LostintheCycle
Reactions:

Post by LostintheCycle »

I currently have Mint with i3 because at the time I installed it, I had school and no time to deal with an Arch installation. I'm thinking of switching to Arch before I jump into this year of uni though, just for the hell of it.
Honestly, I don't think distro really matters, there doesn't need to be so many branches out there. At the end of the day, Linux systems are modular and you can swap out anything you want. You could probably turn Mint into Ubuntu just by getting the right packages and configurations. I think if you're switching to Linux, just stick with some well known distro, I vouch for Mint like most people here. The good thing is that it's forums are fairly expansive, so it's easy enough to find threads with your problem's solution somewhere. I never had many issues with Mint personally.
msxdotgay
Reactions:
Pronouns: They/Them

Post by msxdotgay »

Pop!_OS is what I use on pretty much everything I interact with on a day-to-day basis. It's pretty beginner friendly and reliable. It's pretty much Ubuntu without the crap I don't need. Currently typing this on a 2013 MacBook Air running Pop!_OS, it's decent even on older hardware.
Image Image Image Image Image
mrwillhorlen
Banned
Reactions:

Post by mrwillhorlen »

i'm installing debian on a shared family computer now that microsoft has discontinued support for win8.1, and to be fair i never really liked windows to begin with
although i don't remember i've actually used linux on an old computer my mom has before switching it with a windows one, so this should be easy for her
windigo
Reactions:
Pronouns: any

Post by windigo »

I use EndeavourOS mostly because of my NVIDIA GPU being a pain in the ass. (tried installing Arch a few times, Gentoo at least 3 times, I'd honestly switch to an AMD GPU if I had the money)
Things are running pretty smoothly on it unless I intentionally fuck something up.
I use Void Linux on my school hard disk, it's pretty lightweight so I can connect it to lower-end PCs or laptops in case I don't have access to my laptop. Overall I'd say that it's not a good idea to use it for as a main distro due to the limited amount of packages. (though you could use flatpak)
I also wrote an article on Linux if it might interest you, though due to my point of view changing on various things I might have to rewrite it.

Don't forget to hydrate yourself!
TheSolitaryGamer
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/him

Post by TheSolitaryGamer »

Don't use any right now, but I had used a variety of them before in the past. Best ones I've had experience with were Manjaro and any KDE one, though from what i've heard is that nowadays Manjaro might have some outdated packages on there? I could be wrong
Sichelmondprinz
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/they

Post by Sichelmondprinz »

As a long time Arch user, I just installed NixOS cuz I like the concept of having all your configs in one place and any updates or changes always making a backup state to return to.
Plus it lets me just copy said config to another PC and get the same system I had within minutes! Like, I set up everything in a VM first and then just copied the config out of it and only had to adjust the GPU driver it installs.

It has a tool called home manager that lets you use the config to manage all your dotfiles as well. I just love the idea of having a thing that just lets you get a system going instantly.
Blog47177
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by Blog47177 »

slacker wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:23 pm I've been using Ubuntu since 2008... strayed to other distros (which have been fine in the main) but always come back to what I've got used to. There are odd exceptions, e.g. I keep an old Panasonic Toughbook with a Win7 HD that I swap in when I want to get recordings from my old Topfield Freeview box, or use some other hardware that's tied to earlier versions of Windows, like my 35mm film scanner. I hate throwing out good hardware just because it's been obsoleted by a lack of modern drivers!
Congrats for using Ubuntu the longest.
PSIcube
Banned
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/him/his

Post by PSIcube »

:roll: ... Arch. Yeah. But I would use void if it worked better on my PC and allowed for more timezones.
inbtwn
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/they

Post by inbtwn »

currently it's endeavourOS for me. i tried installing arch on my thinkpad and while it DID work it did kind of fuck up the MBR and i had to reformat my hard drive to get back access to my windows 7 partition on there... :T so yeah. just keeping it simple here. i really dig the AUR and stuff, and it hasn't broken down on me yet (knock on wood), so uh. yeah!

before using endeavour i used pop_os, which is probably the nicest beginner-friendly distro i've used so far. highly recommend.

i do kinda wanna try nixos sometime soon though, just to see if i can get used to the stateful flow it has going on with it. maybe once endeavour eventually breaks lol
Alice Smith
Reactions:

Post by Alice Smith »

In terms of stability and reliability, Linux Mint is one of the best options out there as far as I'm concerned. It is based on Debian and the team behind Linux Mint does an excellent job of maintaining and updating the system. I've never had any significant issues with it, and it runs smoothly on my machine.
williewillus
Reactions:

Post by williewillus »

I use Arch (btw) on my daily machines, and Debian Stable on a server. I prefer slow-moving distros for servers and low-powered hardware so you don't have constantly be patching them. Though Debian does a lot of customization for their packages and things don't necessarily match upstream, which can be annoying at times.

I also run OpenBSD (which is not Linux) on some servers, and it's a dream. Everything is simple, works, and is properly documented in the manuals. Maintenance is easy, as is upgrading every 6 months. It's Debian-like stability with Fedora-style rapid release to keep the software fresh.
gh0stprince
Reactions:

Post by gh0stprince »

I started off with GalliumOS as it was recommended for a little bit for Chromebooks with the Chrome ripped out of them. I quickly realized it was horribly out of date, so I jumped to Kubuntu...then Lubuntu...I went through a lot of Ubuntu forks before deciding to take the jump to EndeavourOS/Arch. I love it, I'm so satisfied with how well it performs on a low powered device.
rick
Reactions:
Pronouns: they

Post by rick »

I also started with Ubuntu, ~7 years ago. I've done a lot of "distro hopping" before finding a distro that I like. Now I'm on Gentoo for my 2570p, Arch on my tower and Debian on my servers. I've also a T420 on Void with Bedrock and a X61t on Debian. And I've a new T440p to try GNU/GuixSD, which seems pretty cool for development ! :P
Rynn
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: Any

Post by Rynn »

These days I tend to use either OpenBSD or FreeBSD/GhostBSD, depending on the use case. On those cases where I do find myself with a Linux distro, I tend to use either Artix or Void Linux, though if it's a machine that's going to be doing any gaming I usually use Pop!OS in that case.

My reasons for mostly using BSDs these days are pretty similar to UnixSheikh's.
[Vultr Hosting] ($100 credit referral link)
[Gemini Protocol]
RogerMexico
Websurfer
Reactions:

Post by RogerMexico »

On my hobby laptop I recently went from Debian to Manjaro.

On my work/daily I use Ubuntu on WSL.
какЖеЛюблюЯphbBB?
Reactions:
Pronouns: they/them [or any]

Post by какЖеЛюблюЯphbBB? »

Pop! OS w/ gnome-session
but I plan to switch to Vanilla OS when it starts supporting dualboot
phpBBlover? :love:
FrankensteinBoyxoxo
Reactions:

Post by FrankensteinBoyxoxo »

I just recently switched from Windows 10 to Xubuntu!
I tried Slackware on a virtual machine because it did catch my eye when I was looking for distros, but the installation process was absolute hell for me. I had absolutely no clue how to create partitions and I had so many questions: What partition type do I use? How big do I make these partitions? What do all these mean? I had so many problems with it: The boot screen was all jacked up with random symbols flashing around on the screen (it did boot properly though), but I just couldn't figure out how to use it. I guess it just wasn't my cup of tea, especially as a beginner. However, that might have been just because I've never changed my operating system in my life so I was just really confused on how to do everything. And I'm not saying that Slackware is a bad operating system by any means. It's probably a really excellent distro, but I just can't figure out how to use it.
So anyway, I tried Xubuntu and thought, "this is definitely the one." It runs so much better than Windows 10 (at least for me). It's so much more customizable, and the desktop environment isn't exactly retro-looking, but it doesn't have that horrendous flat layout that Windows 10 has. It's super easy to install, and all you have to do after that is install Wine (so you can run executables) and you're good to go.
(I apologize that I felt the need to describe my Slackware adventures :oops: )
ImageImage
In the beginning, there was sinning...
kazewa
Reactions:

Post by kazewa »

On my laptop, I have Linux Mint. I like it more than Ubuntu and Manjaro, which I tested before it.
princemaggots
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/it

Post by princemaggots »

I use Windows on my main computer (for easier integration with school + games) but my secondary laptop uses Linux Mint. I installed it first because it was fairly simple and looked similar to Windows, but since its working fine for my purposes I haven't had any desire to change it.

I have arch on my third laptop though (I bought it specifically for that purpose) which is fun but also annoyingly complex sometimes when I want to change something >_> When I first installed it I spent 3 hours getting the internet to work because I couldn't figure out what stuff I needed to install (I tried the same method as the live usb, but it didn't work for me and I winded up installing NetworkManager like mint uses) xP
AlienFromPlanetZorg
Reactions:
Pronouns: all

Post by AlienFromPlanetZorg »

I switched to linux (from windows) about 3 years ago, after being unsatisfied with WSL, which I was using Ubuntu on. My first proper distro was Debian. When i got a new laptop (well... new to me) last year I put Fedora on it, which I prefer over Debian for daily use due to the more updated repos... my old laptop still technically works tho, and i'm trying to put a more minimal install of Debian on it and use it as server space.