Streaming or downloading?

Talk about the past, present and future of the internet.
t0lo
Reactions:

Streaming or downloading?

Post by t0lo »

Do you guys prefer the convenience of streaming or the quality and ownership that comes with downloading? I'm slowly moving to downloading but eager to hear your opinions on the matter :^)
8)
sixeyes
Webmaster
Reactions:
Pronouns: they/them

Re: Streaming or downloading?

Post by sixeyes »

when people talk about "streaming" like this, is it from those weird shady 123movies dot whatnot, or is there some serene option i'm missing? i get heavy "i'm to old for this shit"-feelings with how these things like kisscartoon etc would just blast you with weird ads, javascript, monero miners, etc; and change domains all the time, and apparently what i then went to wasn't the "real" one anyway and so it would be extra bad somehow, and now my isp blocks the cool one, and its just a load of work to figure out
manpaint
Reactions:
Pronouns: He

Post by manpaint »

sixeyes wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:19 pm when people talk about "streaming" like this, is it from those weird shady 123movies dot whatnot, or is there some serene option i'm missing? i get heavy "i'm to old for this shit"-feelings with how these things like kisscartoon etc would just blast you with weird ads, javascript, monero miners, etc; and change domains all the time, and apparently what i then went to wasn't the "real" one anyway and so it would be extra bad somehow, and now my isp blocks the cool one, and its just a load of work to figure out
I think OP meant stuff like Netflix a Spotify.

As for me, I always download media - especially music. This ensure I have full control over what I consume. This eliminate the risk of the media dissapearing one day and allow me to archive it.

The only excpetion to this rule are random YouTube videos I watch sometimes.
sixeyes
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by sixeyes »

manpaint wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:19 pm [...]
[...]
ehehe 😅

in that case i AM paying for spotify since launch and i'm hating myself for it. it's incredibly convenient most of the time, but i've noticed that it has profoundly changed what music i listen to. a lot of mashup stuff, home-grown jungle, weird miku things, chiptunes, etc... all gone, because it's not on spotify. this worries me, it worries me, worries me. i'd like to leave, but they have all my playlists as hostage...

a little concerned with preservation, i usually batch download MP3's of everything every second year or so when there's a vulnerability, but in two years a _lot_ happens in terms of what i listen to.
subpixel8
Reactions:

Post by subpixel8 »

It varies with different media. I've almost completely moved to downloading music. When it comes to movies, TV, or videos I download for the sake of archival when I know that it's something that'll be taken down soon. Like if it's a youtube video that'll most likely be removed or a show that's being taken off whatever service I'm using.

I want to move completely move to downloading though. Lots of different open source programs on either linux or android pretty much remove any need to pay for all the different services, plus I like owning physical copies of music.
yequari
Websurfer
Reactions:

Post by yequari »

---
Last edited by yequari on Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cobra!
Webmaster
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/They

Post by Cobra! »

Neither. I like to own things physically, I get movies on VHS, Laserdisc and Blu-Ray, games on disc/cart and albums on CD, Vinyl and Cassette.

If there's a song I like that I can only download or stream, I record onto cassette. :P
manpaint
Reactions:

Post by manpaint »

sixeyes wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:17 pm
manpaint wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:19 pm [...]
[...]
ehehe 😅

in that case i AM paying for spotify since launch and i'm hating myself for it. it's incredibly convenient most of the time, but i've noticed that it has profoundly changed what music i listen to. a lot of mashup stuff, home-grown jungle, weird miku things, chiptunes, etc... all gone, because it's not on spotify. this worries me, it worries me, worries me. i'd like to leave, but they have all my playlists as hostage...

a little concerned with preservation, i usually batch download MP3's of everything every second year or so when there's a vulnerability, but in two years a _lot_ happens in terms of what i listen to.
There probably a tool out there that allow you to download audio file from spotify. Worst case scenario, you could open Audacity and record the audio of your pc while listening to music - although that might take a while depending on how much music you listen to.

I would reccomend to at least write down the music you listen to in case something happens.
nighten
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by nighten »

Cobra! wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:49 am Neither. I like to own things physically, I get movies on VHS, Laserdisc and Blu-Ray, games on disc/cart and albums on CD, Vinyl and Cassette.

If there's a song I like that I can only download or stream, I record onto cassette. :P
Damn, that's some dedication! Congrats on living by your values Cobra

As for me, I have nothing against streaming, except it's fragility.
I was traumatized way too much by obscure 80' anime, music or just random video being taken down from Youtube or elsewhere, that I really download and torrent whenever I can; at least for the things I care deeply about. For music for example I often buy the physical or digital copy for security, but I would still stream the song when I'm on the go; at least I have the peace of mind that I can still access it if internet is down or too slow.

I once backed up an entire SoundCloud account a few month before most of it was deleted (I assume to keep using the free account); it was a close one! But it made me really realize how quickly these things can be gone forever

(I also don't have any subscription for streaming but that's more for money reason haha, I prefer to pay for my web hosting)
manpaint wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:20 pm There probably a tool out there that allow you to download audio file from spotify.
I had to do that once to download a friend's playlist; a lot of these tools looked kinda sketchy, so I used MediaHuman's Youtube Downloader who basically scan the Spotify playlist and allow you to download each songs from YouTube. This is a paid software, but I think other free alternative would use a similar method, although I don't have any name in mind. At least it's possible!
sixeyes
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by sixeyes »

manpaint wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:20 pm There probably a tool out there that allow you to download audio file from spotify. Worst case scenario, you could open Audacity and record the audio of your pc while listening to music - although that might take a while depending on how much music you listen to.

I would reccomend to at least write down the music you listen to in case something happens.
Yeah! I have two such "dumps", one from spotify proper and one where you could first "export" your account to something else i never heard of before, who in turn had some kind of loophole and you could get mp3's from there. Really holding out for one more to appear soon.

In the meantime i've been fiddling with the API to regularly just export text file listings of my entire library, so in an almost-worst case scenario i could download the songs one by one. But it's the organization as well, it's fun to make sort things by different criteria, you know, and i'm kinda picky with what i wanna listen to. I think i'm the worst at work with ~200 playlists, but a dear friend has over 1000 :o
manpaint
Reactions:

Post by manpaint »

nighten wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:39 pm
Cobra! wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:49 am Neither. I like to own things physically, I get movies on VHS, Laserdisc and Blu-Ray, games on disc/cart and albums on CD, Vinyl and Cassette.

As for me, I have nothing against streaming, except it's fragility.
I was traumatized way too much by obscure 80' anime, music or just random video being taken down from Youtube or elsewhere, that I really download and torrent whenever I can; at least for the things I care deeply about. For music for example I often buy the physical or digital copy for security, but I would still stream the song when I'm on the go; at least I have the peace of mind that I can still access it if internet is down or too slow.

I once backed up an entire SoundCloud account a few month before most of it was deleted (I assume to keep using the free account); it was a close one! But it made me really realize how quickly these things can be gone forever

(I also don't have any subscription for streaming but that's more for money reason haha, I prefer to pay for my web hosting)
manpaint wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:20 pm There probably a tool out there that allow you to download audio file from spotify.
I had to do that once to download a friend's playlist; a lot of these tools looked kinda sketchy, so I used MediaHuman's Youtube Downloader who basically scan the Spotify playlist and allow you to download each songs from YouTube. This is a paid software, but I think other free alternative would use a similar method, although I don't have any name in mind. At least it's possible!
sixeyes wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:08 pm
manpaint wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:20 pm There probably a tool out there that allow you to download audio file from spotify. Worst case scenario, you could open Audacity and record the audio of your pc while listening to music - although that might take a while depending on how much music you listen to.

Yeah! I have two such "dumps", one from spotify proper and one where you could first "export" your account to something else i never heard of before, who in turn had some kind of loophole and you could get mp3's from there. Really holding out for one more to appear soon.

In the meantime i've been fiddling with the API to regularly just export text file listings of my entire library, so in an almost-worst case scenario i could download the songs one by one. But it's the organization as well, it's fun to make sort things by different criteria, you know, and i'm kinda picky with what i wanna listen to. I think i'm the worst at work with ~200 playlists, but a dear friend has over 1000 :o
I guess this depends on who/what you are listening to, but one thing I'd be warry about is artists that are only on Spotify. I can imagine liking obscure artist that tried to start a music career on that platform but then gave up and moved on - in this case there would be no mirror of that music anywhere ese.

I am not sure how prevalent that is though. If you guys are into more obscure stuff, I would highly reccomend making a list of artist you listen to and check if they are only on Spotify.
Cobra!
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by Cobra! »

nighten wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:39 pm

It's actually easier than you think. You can still get decent decks and tapes, and the unit I have (Sony CFD-S70) can record off a 3.5mm jack, which is what I do. I got a cable, connected one end to my iPad and the other onto the unit, and just record.
Grafo
Reactions:

Post by Grafo »

I always prefer downloading. Something about having the file on my harddrive it just feels better.
The only thing I keep on streaming is Netflix but the main reason is because I share the account with family, if it were just for me I would close it in a second
nikkiana
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: she/her/any

Post by nikkiana »

Call me old, but I've slipped into the nostalgia of owning hard copies of albums and movies whenever possible.

If a hard copy isn't available, but I want to own something, I'll buy the download of it.

I still do use streaming, but I tend to regard it as previewing to see if I want to make a purchase, and with music I do own, I will often stream for the convenience and so the artist gets some bonus money, as minuscule as it is.

I don't really download things illegally anymore, I did when I was younger but that was also in the era of the Internet prior to streaming being readily available.
GaryStu
Websurfer
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/him

Post by GaryStu »

Youtube is steaming, and I watch a shameful amount of of Youtube.

I'd like to download more, but oops not enough disk space. There's a few youtube channels i'd like to keep but yanno. No room. Yes! I should buy more.

If its not on Youtube, I will download things, but then delete the files when I'm done. :oops:
All my social links are on the home page of my website, just above the webrings.

Image Image

burningvanilla
Reactions:
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by burningvanilla »

If it's not available on the streaming services, or if they're taken off of them, I'll go download usually
sixeyes
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by sixeyes »

oh and speaking of, here's a barndcamp code for peter talisman lord of the harvest: npzc-ebfx
nighten
Reactions:

Post by nighten »

sixeyes wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:45 pm oh and speaking of, here's a barndcamp code for peter talisman lord of the harvest: npzc-ebfx
I got it! Thank you so much for the discovery sixeyes, I went completely blind and I'm really liking the album so far.
I'm sure I have a spare code somewhere too, I will post it here when I find it!
nymphaeaphoo
Reactions:

Post by nymphaeaphoo »

If I plan on listening to/watching something only once and don't have to pay for it I'll stream, otherwise I'll download anything that doesn't have DRM.
Learnt this behaviour the hard way as there was this cool band on youtube called carpoolparty who nuked their channel, music is still available but all there music videos and random videos are gone, wish I downloaded them :(
Image - Image
t0lo
Reactions:

Post by t0lo »

I think this is a fun attitude, it's nice not to be internet dependent. I'm gonna buy some cds for my car for on the road soon 8)
8)
manpaint
Reactions:

Post by manpaint »

I tend to listen to my music on my Nintendo DS using a homebrew application called Moonshell2.

That being said, I still have a mirror of all my downloaded music on my PC and external HDDs.
sixeyes
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by sixeyes »

manpaint wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:58 pm I tend to listen to my music on my Nintendo DS using a homebrew application called Moonshell2.

That being said, I still have a mirror of all my downloaded music on my PC and external HDDs.
ooooh i used to do this! the DAC on that first gen DS didn't have the best bit depth, but there's something about that fuzz that appears around quiet sounds that is just soo comfortable. eitherway, that was one of my better portable players i must say, as iirc you could browse images and maybe videos also? (plus it plays games lol). and then i brought it to the beach and found out it was not sand proof. RIP
manpaint
Reactions:

Post by manpaint »

sixeyes wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:14 pm ooooh i used to do this! the DAC on that first gen DS didn't have the best bit depth, but there's something about that fuzz that appears around quiet sounds that is just soo comfortable. eitherway, that was one of my better portable players i must say, as iirc you could browse images and maybe videos also? (plus it plays games lol). and then i brought it to the beach and found out it was not sand proof. RIP
Yeah you can browse images (well as long as they are not too big). You also have the possibility read and write text files. As for video, it apparently supports some onscure video format but I haven't tested it myself.

The DS Lite also has the audio fuzz, but IIRC it dosen't happends on DSi and 3DS.
Veezle
Websurfer
Reactions:

Post by Veezle »

Grafo wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:48 pm I always prefer downloading. Something about having the file on my harddrive it just feels better.
The only thing I keep on streaming is Netflix but the main reason is because I share the account with family, if it were just for me I would close it in a second
Pretty much the same for me.
No longer on Yesterweb.
OppositeKeith
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by OppositeKeith »

i would usually do a mix of both but mostly downloading. i do like the convenience of streaming i would just prefer to play my favorite media (namely music) offline without the need of a wifi connection. tv and movies i would also download so i can watch at my own time and take it anywhere in case i dont have much else to do and a lot of free time on me. other times ill just do it for archiving purposes.
juette
Webmaster
Reactions:
Pronouns: it/he/they

Post by juette »

when it comes to music i use Spotify pretty much exclusively cause my dad pays for it so im like well. at least i dont have to pay lol

as for shows i mostly stream them illegally. id download more of them but i dont think i have the disk space for every single episode of holby city
Starfighter
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by Starfighter »

The physical thing. If there is no physical thing then download. If there's no way to download then stream.
nitronine
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/It

Post by nitronine »

Neither. I prefer getting physical copies of things. VHS tapes, DVDs, Blu-ray, CDs, Cassetes, Vinyl, etc. Its especially cheap second-hand. My preferred formats are VHS and CD for video and audio, respectively.
Serah
Websurfer
Reactions:
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Serah »

I found I just didn't really pay any attention to music when I had Spotify. It was just on in the background and what was actually playing was kind of irrelevant.

I've since gone back to mostly purchasing music on Bandcamp and from my local record stores.

For movies and TV shows I don't tend to watch frequently enough to justify any kind of subscription so I just buy or rent what I want to watch. I have a decent little blu-ray collection and quite a few VHSes and DVDs, too. A lot of what I'm interested in is no longer available legally, though, so I have to go through other routes. Archive is fantastic if you're into older movies that nobody seems interested in re-releasing.

There are a couple of streaming-only shows I've wanted to watch that I've mostly used family's accounts to watch.
princemaggots
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/it

Post by princemaggots »

In an ideal world where I had unlimited space, definitely downloading. But as of currently, I do like the convenience of being able to stream things (particularly considering my phone has like,,, 2-5gb of space regularly, mostly taken up by the ever-expanding cache... xP why spotify ever would need 5gb of cached data i'll never know). Since I have Spotify premium, if something gets taken off or is too obscure I can just download it or pull it off mine or my mom's cd collection. I do like to download stuff I like to have offline, though (which also helps when streaming occasionally just... fails, like when I tried to watch Lain and it kept buffering so I just downloaded the series).

Will say my absolute favorite is just owning stuff physically - that way unless I break the disc or lose it, I'll always have a copy. Which happens less often (so far...) than something being taken offline, losing the download, etc.
CyberCat2000
Reactions:

Post by CyberCat2000 »

In my opinion, I feel like there's a place for both. Nowadays, I prefer to stream stuff thanks to the convinience of it. You can pull up a movie or song in only a few seconds. However, I feel like there's still a really good market for downloading. Besides the fact that it's probably safer in the long terms, there's also a sense of ownership of having your own copy; you're not merely borrowing something.
youngsterj4y
Websurfer
Reactions:
Pronouns: They/Them

Post by youngsterj4y »

I almost completely download music, just because I like to listen to music even when internet might be scarce. For movies and shows and whatnot, it's up in the air. I have some anime episodes downloaded because they were on torrenting sites before the streaming sites and I'm impatient, and I have the entirety of Danny Phantom downloaded for long car rides, but generally I stick to streaming just as a matter of saving storage space haha.

I would like to get more into downloading the shows and movies I enjoy, just so I always have it, but my download speed is kinda awful so it feels like more trouble than it's worth.
Image"You're telling me these rats are all transgender?!"
williewillus
Reactions:

Post by williewillus »

For music, it's been an interesting situation for me in that I've basically skipped or ignored the rise in streaming. The stuff I listen to is so obscure (niche video game soundtracks) that I usually just download. My collection sits on my server and is synced onto my desktop and Android phone with syncthing.

In the rare occasion there's a CD available and I really really like the music, I'll buy it. That's happened about 3 times so far.

For YouTube channels, I don't think I care enough about any to archive them myself in case they disappear.

For movies, I don't like any enough to buy or keep hard copies of them around, so it's either renting them on YouTube or borrowing from my library (or pirating and deleting it afterward). Sorry, Netflix.
vivi
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: she|they

Post by vivi »

One reason I often prefer downloading over streaming, which I haven't seen mentioned yet, is a slow or inconsistent Internet connection makes streaming a lower-quality experience than downloading. The wait time for Internet video was definitely worse decades ago, but I still get annoying wait times and repeated buffering if a video is HD or on the upper end of SD.
realachao
Reactions:
Pronouns: she/they

Post by realachao »

I've pretty much always downloaded music because of my hoarder, um, collector personality, and I have over a decade of video game OSTs (which is what I'm listening to 85% of the time) saved locally in one way or another. Many OSTs and lots of other stuff I enjoy also isn't on Spotify or any streaming services, like many people have mentioned here, so there's also not much of a choice. If I'm streaming music and end up really liking it, my first thought is "time to find a way to download this so I can keep it forever." >>; I also like buying the physical versions of soundtracks that I particularly love.
I do share a Spotify account with my partner but he's the one who uses it most of the time. That's not to say I haven't discovered new music I like via streaming, but it's by far my least used method.

As far as shows/movies, I really don't watch a lot of things, and I'm lucky enough to have access to family members' various streaming accounts so that I don't have to have my own for the off chance I do make time to sit down and watch a whole movie or something. The only exception is Crunchyroll, since I'm always taking interest in new anime and watching old favorites. (I have nothing against non-anime media, I just always find myself always gravitating towards it orz)
rubber cat
Reactions:

Post by rubber cat »

I think downloading is fine but man oh man I wish people were less annoying about it

oh no there's more than one streaming service because all the remaining massive entertainment conglomerates haven't yet merged into a single entity... yarr time to set sail on the high seas mateys wink wink :wink:
Twilight Fallen
Reactions:
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Twilight Fallen »

I like to download songs and movies that will never get old to me. I don't trust streaming services, they always end up deleting my favorite TV shows/movies. If you download it and keep it in a safe place, you will be able to always have access to it.
Wavmev
Reactions:

Post by Wavmev »

Serah wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:56 pm I found I just didn't really pay any attention to music when I had Spotify. It was just on in the background and what was actually playing was kind of irrelevant.

I've since gone back to mostly purchasing music on Bandcamp and from my local record stores.
Been thinking about doing this. I went from CDs to Spotify, but noticing the difference between how it changed my listening habits: I skip so much just using Spotify! if it doesn’t catch my ear the first split second… skip. could go on for minutes… and end up going to the same 10 songs i’ll listen to on repeat, so it’s a $9/mo waste. With burning CDs it’s a playlist of stuff you like at least. What’re your favorite finds at the record store?

I had a good amount of CDs and burned the majority, with a used $1 CD shop nearby. Found my Zune from ancient times still workin’ and thinking about loading that up and cancelling Spotify (plus it’s got FM radio!) figure just use that $9 from streaming and have some fun buying CDs with it.
RogerMexico
Websurfer
Reactions:

Post by RogerMexico »

I generally try to stream everything it's possible to stream. Sometimes I'll watch/listen to physical media.

I rarely, if ever, download movies or music anymore.
m1k3
Reactions:

Post by m1k3 »

I buy the majority of my music on Bandcamp these days. I download the music to back it up and then stream it to all of my devices. I do occasionally buy cassettes/vinyl though.
Laz1985
Reactions:

Post by Laz1985 »

Physical media if I can get it, then rip it all to my computer/phone so I know that I own the copy.

Streaming music services have ads, and streaming TV/movie sites love to get rid of that one show/movie right before you're about to watch it.

I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.