Thoughts on older music players?

Talk about your website ideas, web design, coding, software and hardware.
mewtek
Reactions:
Pronouns: she/they

Thoughts on older music players?

Post by mewtek »

I've noticed a bunch of old music players like winamp (WACUP), Foobar2k, and others taking the stage as of recent with how weird streaming's been getting. Do y'all use any old music players for your local collections still or do you stick to streaming?
Melonking
Reactions:

Re: Thoughts on older music players?

Post by Melonking »

Oooph ok so this is a secret passion of mine.. first, for my main serious (high quality) local music collection I actually just use iTunes (aka Music on mac now) because it syncs to my phone.

However I also like to download crappy youtube music and I collect that in a WACUP/Winamp library; you never know when weird youtube songs will disappear so its nice to have a copy. I also got a full copy of the G-Force visualiser for Winamp recently which works in WACUP and is great! My other main use for WACUP is for streaming web radio stations like WFMU; you can load a stream url (or .pls file) into it and it'll even visualise it!

Along side that I also use XMPlay with the Underground Radio Skin and You Wa Shock! (basically an audio enhancer that makes it go boom). It can play MODs, XMs and S3Ms (pre mp3/tracker formats, you can find em here) it all works great on Windows 11!

Anndd of course I still stream toooo, its handy to have choices!
GaryStu
Websurfer
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/him

Post by GaryStu »

VLC is old, isn't it? There's no Fun Features in base VLC for audio (I think, I could be wrong) but it's a good, reliable media player. I don't need anything else.

I was always obsessed with old Windows Media Player back in the day, and I have no desire to go near it again. I liked how Windows Media Player would automatically fill in the metadata for my CDs. I would also watch the visualisations. I used WMA files to save space, making me the only person to use WMA files in existence. Finally, WinAMP's layout always felt too small and cramped to me.
All my social links are on the home page of my website, just above the webrings.

Image Image

sixeyes
Webmaster
Reactions:
Pronouns: they/them

Post by sixeyes »

Hehe yeah the WMP visualisations were the shit. I've stared my fair share at those. Winamps were even better, i recall trying to write my own and failing horrendously.

Also, VLC does play a lot of tracker formats "natively" for some reason, it's neat.

I almost exclusively stream music at this point (i know, i know) but before i used foobar2k with the "waveform seekbar" plugin. That was very helpful when jumping around since it would display a soundcloud-like waveform of the song where you could click to skip to that time. Plus it looked cool B)
yequari
Websurfer
Reactions:

Post by yequari »

---
Last edited by yequari on Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrostSheridan
Reactions:

Post by FrostSheridan »

i had transitioned to spotify for all of my music for a couple of years, but i eventually realized there were some problems with it that led me to stop using it and return to my local collection. i didn't like how it was eroding my relationship with music - instant access to almost any song or playlist you can think of made me treat music more like a commodity instead of an artistic experience. i was rapidly skipping through songs and playlists trying to find the "perfect vibe" for the moment instead of just experiencing an entire album from start to finish like i used to in the pre-streaming days.

the inherent ephemerality of streaming also eventually made me quit using it. songs/albums i really loved would just vanish off of the platform overnight or be replaced with a completely different mastering. my music library wasn't mine, it was just what spotify allowed me to listen to in that moment. i had no control over it.

nowadays, i've returned to using winamp to listen to music on my computers, just like i did for my whole life pre-spotify. it's a great program with all the functionality i need, a UI that's a joy to use, and a seemingly infinite library of beautiful skins, so i never had a reason to look for alternate music player programs.

however, most of the time, i listen to music on CD and minidisc. i just personally prefer the experience of using physical media - it encourages me to interact with and experience music in a more intentional manner. (plus minidiscs are just fun to use! even though the format's been around for 30 years, it still feels like it's from the future.)
AlienFromPlanetZorg
Reactions:
Pronouns: all

Post by AlienFromPlanetZorg »

GaryStu wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:58 am VLC is old, isn't it? There's no Fun Features in base VLC for audio (I think, I could be wrong)
There ARE a few audio visualizers on my installation of VLC, but nothing like what i remember Windows Media Player having. Maybe I should try getting WMP running on WINE...
Serah
Websurfer
Reactions:
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Serah »

BIG fan of WACUP. It's all about the skins, baby, gimme that personalisation.
OppositeKeith
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by OppositeKeith »

they've become more reliable for me over the past year or so for me. streaming has its benefits but it gets annoying when dealing with adds and finding a good album or song from what streaming gives you. it feels overwhelming than anything else. i do certainly enjoy finding recommendations of albums or artists in music forum boards for how much i'm exposed to in terms of other communities rather than just a bot recommending me the same album i like for the 5th time. there is not a whole lot of music players on linux but ive been using Sayonara player and its been going good for me since.
jimothy
Reactions:

Post by jimothy »

I guess VLC if that counts lol? i can't stream anymore, i live in the middle of nowhere and cell service cuts out super frequently even when I'm just running errands. between that and ads it was driving me crazy to even try. so I dug out all my old mp3s, and VLC was the first app I found that I could put both on my mac and on my (android) phone and not have an issue with (I am trying to get linux running on an old macbook i have so i dont have to use macos all the time but it's proving to be... a journey lol)

i used to really love winamp in my windows days, but i havent used it in yearrrs so i dont have an opinion about it anymore ig. their website is sketching me out though lol it makes it look like they went the same way as spotify

ohh not that it was a player but kinda related, does anyone remember last.fm? i mean. i know it still exists lol but again i havent used it in years and it seems different now, idk if it's still the same thing it was. but i used to love that
sixeyes
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by sixeyes »

jimothy wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:33 pm ohh not that it was a player but kinda related, does anyone remember last.fm? i mean. i know it still exists lol but again i havent used it in years and it seems different now, idk if it's still the same thing it was. but i used to love that
hehe yeah, i used to be into that way back. you could hook it up to foobar2000 which i used at the time (horrid taste in music back then, though 😁)

i was thinking with all this spotify wrapped going around, couldn't last.fm do something similar and have it be "platform agnostic"? might be something. (maybe they already do, but i wasn't exposed to it, at least)

also, what's with "scrobbling". what a word
jimothy
Reactions:

Post by jimothy »

sixeyes wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:34 pm
jimothy wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:33 pm ohh not that it was a player but kinda related, does anyone remember last.fm? i mean. i know it still exists lol but again i havent used it in years and it seems different now, idk if it's still the same thing it was. but i used to love that
hehe yeah, i used to be into that way back. you could hook it up to foobar2000 which i used at the time (horrid taste in music back then, though 😁)

i was thinking with all this spotify wrapped going around, couldn't last.fm do something similar and have it be "platform agnostic"? might be something. (maybe they already do, but i wasn't exposed to it, at least)

also, what's with "scrobbling". what a word
that's what i was thinking! cause yeah that's basically what it was for, but i used it before streaming was a thing. i was feeling a bit of fomo seeing everybody's spotify wrapped this year and wondering if it still existed. LOL I FORGOT IT WAS CALLED SCROBBLING. love that.

so that actually prompted me to go look, and ykw?? I think so??? it seemingly still works with a bunch of streaming services AND on this page it lists quite a few media players that they do have scrobblers for!! it's built in on VLC, too. Wow. Apps on Android and Apple store, even. What a concept! I might have to give this a try again haha
slacker
Reactions:
Pronouns: o/fo

Post by slacker »

I don't really play music from my computers, I upload the MP3s to my Philips Streamium multi-room system. It's old and clunky, and the online features were all turned off some years ago, but you can get them for a song these days and the shortcomings of the system can be overcome. Plus they sound great!
yequari
Websurfer
Reactions:

Post by yequari »

---
Last edited by yequari on Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lain
Reactions:
Pronouns: they/he

Post by lain »

i use spotify pretty much every day but this year i'm trying to be more intentional about music for similar reasons people described -- treating it like an artistic experience over a commodity, not being as obsessed with "vibe" hunting (or if i am trying to make a "vibe", being very intentional about the playlists i create, etc.). there's also a lot of music over on places like bandcamp or old releases that will never get put on spotify or they might get taken down etc. and that can be a real pain/limiting in the music experience.

the way i'm kind of going about it is that i bought a fiio x1 mp3 off of ebay to use to store the music i buy off of bandcamp or rip from CDs or whatever, and i use that to listen to that music so it doesn't take up space on my laptop. so i don't use things like winamp, although i love the look and feel of it and how customizable it is.

i also have a growing collection of vinyl like every 20 something does these days, and i'm starting to expand my CD collection too (although i don't have a CD player yet)
lain, 21+, they/he
Starfighter
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by Starfighter »

I've always been an offline fella. I started listening to music through the Win95 edition of Windows Media Player, then I I briefly played around with Real Player before finding Winamp (we'll get back to this one). After a few years of Winamp I jumped ship to Foobar2000 which remained my main player through my later teenage years. Then came the streaming services, I tried Spotify for a year or so and I hated every second of it. Not knowing which albums would be available from one day to the next made me anxious so I went back to only playing local files. This time I chose MusicBee and that has been my main player ever since.

Anyway, Winamp. I just have to tell you about this site. It's a live (as in interactable) skin museum, nostalgia to the max. :D
yequari
Websurfer
Reactions:

Post by yequari »

---
Last edited by yequari on Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hisinfernalmajesty
Reactions:

Post by hisinfernalmajesty »

i use WACUP (well i started using it today but i like it a lot)
⛧come to the psykazone! https://psykadia.neocities.org
Sofly
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Sofly »

I used to stick to streaming, since my whole family decided to get Spotify, but then i thought about the age old discourse of ownership in the digital world, and decided to back up my entire playlist (yes i'm the kind of person who has 1 playlist with a gazillion songs) and started using Audacious on my computer and Musicolet on my phone (using syncthing to bring the music from my computer to my phone)

As of how i get the music, well sometimes my only option is getting it directly from youtube, other times... let's just say that i know my way around :wink:

Another thing, i also use the Webamp skin museum whenever i want to personalize it, i'm currently using this skin wich i really love since,well, look at my profile pic :D

I really REALLY love having the option to customize my music player with thousands of options

Starfighter
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by Starfighter »

yequari wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:02 pmI love MusicBee, it has all the features I want in a desktop music player. I wish there was a Linux version, none of the music players I've tried have really been able to match all the same functionality.
What music players are the bees knees on Linux nowadays? I remember using Rhythmbox and Clementine a lot but it's been years since my Linux setup died to death by Death itself so I imagine a lot has happened.
yequari
Websurfer
Reactions:

Post by yequari »

---
Last edited by yequari on Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sacrebisous
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: it/he

Post by sacrebisous »

I tried to really enjoy Winamp, and I certainly love the presentation (and all the cool skins), but god do I hate actually using it to listen to music! I also used to use foobar but I'm currently heartbroken by how I wanna use old Atarod skins but they run super slow. MusicBee is my main thing now since it's got a lot of features I want in an audio player are already integrated and aren't difficult to configure :^) Especially the tagging features and the oldschool iTunes feel it has.
lain wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:52 pm the way i'm kind of going about it is that i bought a fiio x1 mp3 off of ebay to use to store the music i buy off of bandcamp or rip from CDs or whatever, and i use that to listen to that music so it doesn't take up space on my laptop. so i don't use things like winamp, although i love the look and feel of it and how customizable it is.
omg a fellow FiiO user...

I use a FiiO M9 with Poweramp installed when I'm really trying to get into music mode. I'm no super hardcore audiophile but I've truly noticed a difference in quality listening to .flac files with good hardware. I've been wanting to get one of them classic iPods and mod it + install Rockbox on it but... that's a little above my abilities at the moment. Plus I'd rather have some kinda music player that audiophiles love that supports Rockbox, since I'm not sure the iPod is super well known for its audio quality.
Starfighter wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:31 pm
yequari wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:02 pmI love MusicBee, it has all the features I want in a desktop music player. I wish there was a Linux version, none of the music players I've tried have really been able to match all the same functionality.
What music players are the bees knees on Linux nowadays? I remember using Rhythmbox and Clementine a lot but it's been years since my Linux setup died to death by Death itself so I imagine a lot has happened.
If you don't mind using a CLI application, cmus has been my favorite lately! Rhythmbox is still pretty good, although I remember some of the features (integrations? scrobbling? idk) have gotten a little buggy. Maybe it was just my setup though.
now, we're not insane, we're just pretending... 'least i think we are...
well, who really cares that much anyway?
galat
Reactions:
Pronouns: Any

Post by galat »

I use streaming ever since I got spotify.. as someone who likes to listen to alot of varities of music and go in and out of periods of interest in artists and genres its just most convienient. Dont think I'd have enough PC space for it all! But i used to be much more about having nice-ish (320kbps or flac) music files. I also used foobar and a fiio (my tween audiophile wannabe phase). I still quite like old players but ive eliminated alot of my local files so I dont get to use them.

As for an old music player I do use, I've been into cassettes for a bit now- I inherited a good collection of them and sometimes buy new ones of artists I wanna support or sometimes I get them secondhand :p
last.fm def still exists.. its compatible w alot of platforms so it tracks from a bunch including spotify. I have one but its just sorta there- alot of other things fill the gap of recommendation and streaming music free nowadays, so the scrobbling/stats thing is the appeal now I suppose, not sure what it was like before.
☆ -ˏˋ. NEKROMANT ON NEOCITIES ˊˎ-☆

Ray
Webwalker
Reactions:
Pronouns: They/She

Post by Ray »

I still stream often (free spotify + adblock = better youtube), and I am the type of person who has a lot of playlists :roll: for which spotify is still useful.
I'm slowly trying to recreate all my playlists with decent-quality mp3s stored locally though. Not only is it handy to have downloaded music on the phone (car trips, subways, places where there's no signal), but I just... really love archiving things and knowing I *have* them. :D
I don't buy physical media often though, because I have no proper hardware to play them, and no space to keep them. Someday maybe!

As for players - I found foobar2000 a bunch of years ago and just... stuck with it. It's so simple, lightweight, efficient. I just wish it was easier to skin, bc I'd love to personalize my own music player. Although you guys really piqued my interest with MusicBee, especially since it seems to also have an android app, and I don't like the foobar app very much.

Now I wonder - do any of you use mp3 players? My partner still religiously does, as it's much easier to take running than a phone (which are getting HUGE nowadays :lol: ). It's the kind of older, simpler device that I can't imagine not ever being a niche for.
Image ImageIf we're not supposed to dance, Why all this music?

Keep in touch: The Web Raft, everyone welcome!
Say hi! ray@emailsnail.net
@plantcreature Telegram
Happy to make friends! <3
Starfighter
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by Starfighter »

Ray wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:33 pmNow I wonder - do any of you use mp3 players? My partner still religiously does, as it's much easier to take running than a phone (which are getting HUGE nowadays :lol: ). It's the kind of older, simpler device that I can't imagine not ever being a niche for.
At the moment I'm using a minidisc player when I want to leave the phone at home but I've actually been thinking about picking one up! I don't really know where to begin though (I like to do my homework and read up a lot before buying anything), any pointers? :)
GoonyBaloney
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/they

Post by GoonyBaloney »

Hell yeah! Music players have been my prefered way to listen for a long time now. I mean I like listening to songs on youtube, but It in recent years it has become annoying to use with forcing ads on everything now and how companies really, really enjoy taking down music from the site and not provide alternatives.

*cough* Nintendo *cough*

I've been using WACUP as my primary music player nowdays, I love how customizable it is with skins and plugins letting you play modular tracks or even N64 music files, it genuinely rocks.

If there's one specific thing I would hope happens in the future is someone porting those Realplayer visualisations to WACUP/Winamp, or Foobar, or whatever. I honestly just want to use Annabelle again.

I miss Realplayer man, I wish it wasn't such a spyware-ridden piece of garbage software.
Ray
Webwalker
Reactions:

Post by Ray »

Starfighter wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:27 pm At the moment I'm using a minidisc player when I want to leave the phone at home but I've actually been thinking about picking one up! I don't really know where to begin though (I like to do my homework and read up a lot before buying anything), any pointers? :)
Oh man, disc players!! I used to have one as a kid, loved it to pieces :P

I'm afraid I can't help too much - only people I know who own them are my partner and my dad, and they accidentally have exactly the same model! It's a very standard, very cheap off-brand device that always looks like this. To be fair, it seems to be pretty sturdy, they both have had theirs for a few years already!
One thing I can vouch against is LCD displays like this - in my experience, they're the first thing to go. Dust and sand gets in the screen and then you have to go blind after a year or so.

Sorry not to be of help - I am no audiophile ^^ but I am much like you, and tend to look for the Perfect Object before making a purchase :lol: in fact, let me know if you come across some good mp3s! I might be interested, too.

@plantcreature Telegram
vivi
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: she|they

Post by vivi »

Ray wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:33 pm Now I wonder - do any of you use mp3 players? My partner still religiously does, as it's much easier to take running than a phone (which are getting HUGE nowadays :lol: ). It's the kind of older, simpler device that I can't imagine not ever being a niche for.
I do; I happened to get a knockoff-iPod in 2015 (most commonly mistaken for the Shuffle though mine is a bit larger and doesn't shuffle) and have been using it since for all my on-the-go sound-listening needs (of which I admittedly haven't many, though I discovered listening to podcasts whilst on public transit is nice).
It is quite convenient (except the charging port is the now-not-commonly-supported miniUSB so I went on a whole quest for a peripheral). I haven't tried a phone so I can't compare the convenience, but I'd imagine differences would derive from the phone having a screen.
galat
Reactions:

Post by galat »

At the moment I'm using a minidisc player when I want to leave the phone at home but I've actually been thinking about picking one up! I don't really know where to begin though (I like to do my homework and read up a lot before buying anything), any pointers? :)
A mindisc user nowadays wow! :surprise: For MP3 players to replace it on the go, you could consider finding a used ipod classic or such off ebay.. i think they are fairly adaptable and repairable for apple products and theres aftermarket stuff for them too. You can get nicer new mp3 players from brands like fiio, hidizs and Astell & Kern in various price ranges.
☆ -ˏˋ. NEKROMANT ON NEOCITIES ˊˎ-☆

nitronine
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/It

Post by nitronine »

If i need to listen to music online I stream it, mostly for convenience's sake, but I'm trying to listen to more CDs. I have a decent sized collection!
Gr33nIMP57uckInC0MP
Reactions:

Post by Gr33nIMP57uckInC0MP »

I primarily listen to music locally with a music player.

Currently I use AIMP since I love the playlist feature. (basically sections in the player that you can add files to)
Also because it's a lot more readable to me. Some AIMP skins that I have are some windows media player styled skins. It's really cool and it fits my computer. The skin I'm currently using is a recreation of WMP9.

I sometimes very rarely use WACUP since I still have a ton of skins that I love, that I like to see once in a while. I used to use WACUP a lot on my older laptop before AIMP. I do miss windows media player and winamp/WACUP visualizations.

I still use spotify since I still don't have any local copies of some songs available there. Not only that but I do like looking at other people's playlists on the site and finding new music that I might like.

TLDR:
If possible I try to get a copy (either a high quality audio file/physical copy) of a song/album. If not I tend to listen to it on spotify while I look for it lol. 🏴‍☠️

Semi off-topic:

But I hope to find a decent mp3 player that's big enough to fit most of the albums I have. I'd love to listen to some songs in my room without having to bring my laptop and external drive all over the place. Since phones still have shitty storage space I can't rely on that.

It's kinda frustrating since I know jack about technology tbh.
Oh look it's some turtles with my butto- HEY WAIT GET BACK HERE!

🐢🐢 Image 🐢🐢
littlebeggar
Reactions:

Post by littlebeggar »

I noticed nobody mentioned my favorite, https://www.mediamonkey.com/ - it can organize a big locally hosted music collection, including ripping and burning cds, updating metadata from online databases, downolading podcasts via rss, and with a one time fee that I think is Very worth it, send a ever changing subset of your collection over a local network to share with others, or to put on another device like your phone.

tl;dr Media Monkey, very powerful, free with some poweruser features behind a one time fee.
rina
Websurfer
Reactions:

Post by rina »

when not on spotify i use foobar
https://www.foobar2000.org/
Twilight Fallen
Reactions:

Post by Twilight Fallen »

Melonking wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:20 am Oooph ok so this is a secret passion of mine.. first, for my main serious (high quality) local music collection I actually just use iTunes (aka Music on mac now) because it syncs to my phone.

However I also like to download crappy youtube music and I collect that in a WACUP/Winamp library; you never know when weird youtube songs will disappear so its nice to have a copy. I also got a full copy of the G-Force visualiser for Winamp recently which works in WACUP and is great! My other main use for WACUP is for streaming web radio stations like WFMU; you can load a stream url (or .pls file) into it and it'll even visualise it!

Along side that I also use XMPlay with the Underground Radio Skin and You Wa Shock! (basically an audio enhancer that makes it go boom). It can play MODs, XMs and S3Ms (pre mp3/tracker formats, you can find em here) it all works great on Windows 11!

Anndd of course I still stream toooo, its handy to have choices!
I wish I could understand anything you said, but the only thing I know is that whatever you said is a secret passion of yours. Could you please translate to stupid people who don't understand nothing about what you said (aka me) so I can try to use whatever your recommending? :? :oops:
Contest6284
Reactions:

Post by Contest6284 »

FrostSheridan wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:18 pm the inherent ephemerality of streaming also eventually made me quit using it. songs/albums i really loved would just vanish off of the platform overnight or be replaced with a completely different mastering. my music library wasn't mine, it was just what spotify allowed me to listen to in that moment. i had no control over it.
Yeah, I used to be a big fan of Spotify because of how I didn't have to worry about collecting songs in one place at any one time, and how that they'd always be there if my device was lost (I grew up using MP3 players), thanks to the persistence of the cloud.

I've since transitioned back to using an MP3 player (alongside cassettes - shows my age!) because I control everything. I don't have to worry about tracks because I can copy and store them on a USB as a backup, and I can enjoy all of my music with a handy MP3 player or Walkman without worrying about the tracks disappearing.

I'm also a bit of a privacy nut, so I'm not the biggest fan of Spotify compiling all the music I listen to and analysing it to see what they can suggest to me. :D
RogerMexico
Websurfer
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by RogerMexico »

I used foobar pretty regularly until 2017 or so. My external storage wasn't backed up as safely as I would have hoped and rather than rebuild I caved in and started paying for Spotify.

I have a bunch of physical media laying around but I don't have anything up to snuff to play it on.
Twilight Fallen
Reactions:

Can someone please enlighten me with which music player use?
I'm not a fan of streaming, I usually only listen to music on youtube. I want to change that, but I have never been the computer nerd, I'm the book nerd, so I don't understand NOTHING about the subject being discussed here. From every player you guys mentioned, I can't really see the difference between each and what are their fuctions beside playing music. My head is hurting from trying to understand by my own :? :( :oops: :cry:
RogerMexico
Websurfer
Reactions:

Post by RogerMexico »

Twilight Fallen wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:24 pm From every player you guys mentioned, I can't really see the difference between each and what are their fuctions beside playing music.
Uh, well, yes. Correct.

Music players are pretty simple, they play music. They all, by definition, do that.

There are two major points of differentiation:

1. Organization
2. Theming

Those two points largely dictate what you’re looking for.
Ray
Webwalker
Reactions:

Post by Ray »

Twilight Fallen wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:24 pm Can someone please enlighten me with which music player use?
I'm not a fan of streaming, I usually only listen to music on youtube. I want to change that, but I have never been the computer nerd, I'm the book nerd, so I don't understand NOTHING about the subject being discussed here. From every player you guys mentioned, I can't really see the difference between each and what are their fuctions beside playing music. My head is hurting from trying to understand by my own :? :( :oops: :cry:
Have you already tried downloading a few and seeing how they feel? As RogerMexico said, music players are pretty straightforward. Unless you're an audiophile, you just want something easy to use, convenient, and maybe pretty if you're into that! :D

Some players, like foobar2000, are super simple and pretty much just play music. You open your files, it plays. Afaik if you're nerdier there's a lot of cool stuff you can do with it - but for regular users like you and me, it's just a simple and lightweight player. I use foobar the most since I mostly sort my files in my folders and just want to play music.

Others, like MusicBee or MediaMonkey are super good if you like a pretty and user friendly UI and have a good sized music collection. It scans the directories you tell it, and sorts all the files it finds by author, genre, album, etc.
All those informations are stored in "metadata" inside the mp3s and flacs. Usually music you buy online has all these info readily sorted so the players can sort them with ease for your convenience. With music you download, you might have to add them in yourself, if you care about them. Feel free to ask for more info about metadata and how to add it if you want, but it's not needed to just listen to music!
With a more complex music player you can also create playlists for example, if it's something you need.
I super liked MusicBee and would be using it, but right now I have my music collection on an SD card, and it has trouble recognizing it as a "main" storage location. I am trying out MediaMonkey to see if I like it enough instead, since playlists for me are important, and foobar's playlist functionalities are a bit too barebones for me.

Stuff like WACUP and Winamp are Retro-Style music players. Winamp used to be a very popular music players in the past, so many people are nostalgic of the old layouts, or preferred them for any other reason. WACUP lets you use the old Winamp style. I tried it and it's not my cup of tea, but might be yours!

Download some mp3s, a couple music players, see which one feels most easy to use. If you have any question about where to, er... "Borrow" music files online :D or if everything is still super confusing after trying it out yourself, feel free to reach out to me in DMs! I'm not an audiophile but listen to downloaded music often so I can show you the basics :)

@plantcreature Telegram
Rynn
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by Rynn »

I used to be very, very pro-streaming. Especially with how robust a lot of the early streaming services were. However, as others have already mentioned, with all of the nonsense that we've seen in the past few years, I've started to circle back to building out a new offline music collection. OCRemix is a staple, but I really need to check and see if Ogg Vorbis is still widely used before I pull out my old CDs and start ripping.
Last edited by Rynn on Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Vultr Hosting] ($100 credit referral link)
[Gemini Protocol]
Twilight Fallen
Reactions:

Ray wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:54 pm
Twilight Fallen wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:24 pm Can someone please enlighten me with which music player use?
Have you already tried downloading a few and seeing how they feel? As RogerMexico said, music players are pretty straightforward. Unless you're an audiophile, you just want something easy to use, convenient, and maybe pretty if you're into that! :D

I started using AIMP because I like the skins and etc. Although I had a hard time discovering how to use each function, I'm liking it so far. I'm not an audiophile, but using these music players seems be better than listening to the song directly from Youtube. I don't know, the audio seems a lot better and clear. However, I found myself struggling when I had to choose whether use local archive, the cloud or a shared file. I wish I could use the shared file because I didn't want to use too much space from both my phone and my computer, but when I searched to how share a file I felt like a fell in a rabbit hole. I was afraid of the modifications could do to my computer, so I kind of gave up. Thank you for being so kind! :) :D
nikkiana
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: she/her/any

Post by nikkiana »

It's certainly not the most pretty by any means, but I've found myself gravitating towards VLC as my default media player these days. Super functional and plays practically every file format you could think of. In my younger years, I preferred something a bit more polished UX wise for my default, but always had VLC installed because it would play things other players wouldn't.

Over the past decade, I definitely have gone more the streaming route because of the convenience factor..... but I've also been gradually trending back towards CDs and my collection of mp3s of obscure bands from the early 2000s that aren't readily available online.
m1k3
Reactions:

Post by m1k3 »

The most important aspect of music collection is properly organizing and tagging it. If your foundation is solid than any capable music player is acceptable. My favorite players are audacious, VLC, and Quod Libet.
windigo
Reactions:
Pronouns: any

Post by windigo »

Technically I do use an older music player. I use audacious which can use winamp skins and boy is it so nice to finally be able to use winamp skins again! I hope that someone makes a music player that supports old windows player skins honestly but I highly doubt that it'll happen.
In any case, if a music player works like it's intended to then I'd use it even if it's 30 years old to listen to my local music collection.

Don't forget to hydrate yourself!
lacrymosa
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by lacrymosa »

ngl i just installed winamp like 20 minutes ago mostly because of a cool evanescence skin i found for it. it's pretty neat i love all the little controls and the eq being right there. Image
Rynn
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by Rynn »

I'd love to use Winamp, but sadly there's not a version available of it or WACUP that works on current Macs. Luckily for me, I do have an old bubble iMac that has quite a repository of software available to it.
[Vultr Hosting] ($100 credit referral link)
[Gemini Protocol]
m1k3
Reactions:

Post by m1k3 »

Rynn wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:00 pm I'd love to use Winamp, but sadly there's not a version available of it or WACUP that works on current Macs. Luckily for me, I do have an old bubble iMac that has quite a repository of software available to it.
You could try using Audacious which can use any winamp skin that you want on https://skins.webamp.org.
Laz1985
Reactions:

Post by Laz1985 »

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Windows Media Player 9. Mostly nostalgia, sure, but also the fact that there were hundreds of customizable skins. Modern music players don't have that, and it's a crying shame.

I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
m1k3
Reactions:

Post by m1k3 »

Back in the early 2000's I was a big fan of Quintessential Music Player. It had a bunch of cool 3D-looking skins. I have a soft spot for skeuomorphism in general.

Example screenshot (not mine):