doing stuff with or without phones

Talk about anything in general here.
vivi
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: she|they

doing stuff with or without phones

Post by vivi »

Greetings netizens! Due to reasons, I never acquired a mobile phone, meaning I may be able to answer questions along the lines of "how can one do X without a phone". Ask away! (disclaimer: my answer may be "idk i never wanted to do that")

Already answered anticipated questions:
How does one:
  • surf the web? Laptop/Desktop.
  • keep in contact with others? E-mail.
  • look up/record something one'd otherwise soon forget? Carry a notepad (and pen)! (I started doing this relatively recently and it's been quite beneficial!)
  • exchange contact information? write it down, or I carry slips of paper with printed info and equivalent MECARD-QR-codes.
  • call emergency services? an excellent question which I don't have the answer to. Probably ask someone else to.
  • navigate to a new location? Look up directions beforehand and write them down (such as in the aforementioned notepad) or print them or put them on an e-reader. My municipality has a route planning website which includes all its public transit routes; others may too. Bus drivers may answer questions about their bus routes too.
  • listen to audio? MP3 player.
  • use two-factor authentication? KeePassXC.
  • make phone calls? I've been using a landline so far (though I may need to change that in the future idk)
My intention for this thread is for others to be able to ask and answer such "how can one do X without a phone" questions, or "how can one do X with a phone" if approaching from my perspective. Or "how can I best accommodate people with/without phones whilst doing X".

EDIT 2023-03-06: I acquired a mobile phone for the first time. It's the Alcatel GoFlip 2, and it's actually got a nicely minimal repertoire of applications! (also the applications are all firefox browser extensions under the hood, which seems rather silly, but that's how it is)
msxdotgay wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:39 pm I'd say a cheap flip phone would be good, but even the $20 Nokias I've seen at Target come with much more than that. Not everyone needs apps and games on their phones, and I wish that was something understood by phones that are cheaper than $250.
The Alcatel GoFlip 2 actually comes with zero games, and its applications are generally utilitarian! Huzzah!
(If you are considering purchasing an Alcatel GoFlip 2, the Alcatel GoFlip 2 user manual lists all its applications so you can make sure it has what you want. New Alcatel GoFlips 2 are probably more expensive than the one I got secondhand.)
Last edited by vivi on Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
techramancer
Websurfer
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/him

Re: doing stuff with or without phones

Post by techramancer »

Can you elaborate on the MFA/KeePass thing? Some services requiring 2FA/MFA may shoehorn you to using a specific app (i.e. Google Authenticator)
vivi
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by vivi »

techramancer wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:22 am Can you elaborate on the MFA/KeePass thing? Some services requiring 2FA/MFA may shoehorn you to using a specific app (i.e. Google Authenticator)
KeePassXC (not KeePass, though they use the same file format) can use "Time-based one-time code" 2FA, where you're given some long code at the start and you generate a new six-digit code when you want to log in. If a service has that form of 2FA available but claims you need to use a specific app, it's probably just lying and you can use any time-based-one-time-code program. I've seen one which assumed I was using Microsoft Authenticator or something but I just used KeePassXC.
techramancer
Websurfer
Reactions:

Post by techramancer »

vivi wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:37 pm
techramancer wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:22 am Can you elaborate on the MFA/KeePass thing? Some services requiring 2FA/MFA may shoehorn you to using a specific app (i.e. Google Authenticator)
KeePassXC (not KeePass, though they use the same file format) can use "Time-based one-time code" 2FA, where you're given some long code at the start and you generate a new six-digit code when you want to log in. If a service has that form of 2FA available but claims you need to use a specific app, it's probably just lying and you can use any time-based-one-time-code program. I've seen one which assumed I was using Microsoft Authenticator or something but I just used KeePassXC.
Oh fascinating. And yeah I couldn't remember what the added characters were when writing my response, and I didn't quote you, so I just wrote what I remembered. I didn't know there were two different 'wares.
Sichelmondprinz
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/they

Post by Sichelmondprinz »

I'm mostly using my phone when in bed or on the commute.
I could play stuff on my computer cuz I can see it from the bed. Tho changing videos is a pain.
Do you have recommendations for stuff to do on the commute? Cuz rn I download videos at home and watch them during it.
vivi
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by vivi »

Sichelmondprinz wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:13 pm Do you have recommendations for stuff to do on the commute? Cuz rn I download videos at home and watch them during it.
I don't currently have a frequent commute, but I have listened to audio on transit. Sometimes podcast episodes though those mightn't be consistently available depending on how frequently you commute. Reading a book may or mayn't give one motion-sickness.

Note: If you are operating a motor vehicle during your commute then please keep your full attention on its operation to reduce the risk of a motor vehicle accident.
Cobra!
Webmaster
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/They

Post by Cobra! »

I don't think using smart phones is necessarily a bad thing. I mean they're high speed computers in your pocket! What's not to love?!

Like a desktop computer, it can do everything, but it doesn't mean you should use it for everything. I think it has it's place, but that place isn't everywhere.
vivi wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:51 am
  • keep in contact with others? E-mail.
  • look up/record something one'd otherwise soon forget? Carry a notepad (and pen)! (I started doing this relatively recently and it's been quite beneficial!)
  • listen to audio? MP3 player.
XMPP and Matrix are also great tools, for the record, and even BBS!
I should really make a habit of carrying a notepad and ben around so I can also take notes.
I personally prefer using cassette Walkmans and Minidisc players. Not for everyone, but I think they're so cool!
vivi
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by vivi »

Cobra! wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:21 pm I don't think using smart phones is necessarily a bad thing.
ye; I'm not saying it is.
In fact the reasons I haven't gotten a mobile phone are "well i haven't gotten one so far so why start now" and "money", and oop while i wasn't paying attention smartphones became near-ubiquitous and can be used to great benefit or detriment. :p
Cobra! wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:21 pm XMPP and Matrix are also great tools, for the record, and even BBS!
hm mayhaps; I use e-mail because most people online are likely to have an e-mail address and be familiar with e-mail.
Cobra! wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:21 pm I personally prefer using cassette Walkmans and Minidisc players. Not for everyone, but I think they're so cool!
Neat! I think they mayn't be for myself though :p
Ray
Webwalker
Reactions:
Pronouns: They/She

Post by Ray »

How do you deal with keeping in contact with other people while you're not home? Like, say you're meeting up with a friend, and they don't show up. How long do you wait for them? Since you have no way to know if they're late, or they had an urgent thing come up. I imagine you can almost always find a way to phone home if you have an emergency yourself, by asking a passerby - but what if someone else needs to reach you?

How do you deal with places/events/organizations that expect you to have whatsapp, or be reacheable during the day in some manner? I've had to contact workplaces via whatsapp for job openings for example, or others ask for your phone number and then phone you during work hours, where you might not be at home, yourself.
And there's organizations and spaces that organize on whatsapp, because it's easy and everyone has it. Other friends of mine have whatsapp workplace groups where you stay up to date with things.
(Or maybe it's a bit of a cultural thing, and it doesn't happen often where you live?)

This is a bit wild to me - I've lived without smartphones, but since I was little I was given to carry around those tiny nokia phones "for emergency". I never lived in an era where you would go out and be unreachable, and I admit that without a mobile phone of some kind, I'd feel naked! :'D
Image ImageIf we're not supposed to dance, Why all this music?

Keep in touch: The Web Raft, everyone welcome!
Say hi! ray@emailsnail.net
@plantcreature Telegram
Happy to make friends! <3
vivi
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by vivi »

Ray wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:41 pm How do you deal with keeping in contact with other people while you're not home? Like, say you're meeting up with a friend, and they don't show up. How long do you wait for them? Since you have no way to know if they're late, or they had an urgent thing come up. I imagine you can almost always find a way to phone home if you have an emergency yourself, by asking a passerby - but what if someone else needs to reach you?
I would wait maybe 30 minutes or thereabouts. I've on one occurrence waited 60 minutes, though I don't think I'd every time. A mobile phone would indeed be useful in such a situation.
Ray wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:41 pm And there's organizations and spaces that organize on whatsapp, because it's easy and everyone has it. Other friends of mine have whatsapp workplace groups where you stay up to date with things.
(Or maybe it's a bit of a cultural thing, and it doesn't happen often where you live?)
I have not experienced this. I think it may be a cultural thing; I've heard there are areas where WhatsApp is ubiquitous and where "it's easy and everyone has it" would apply, but it doesn't where I am (BC, Canada). I've experienced information being locked to specific services before, but I either continued without the information or got someone to relay the information. (This has resulted in me being unable to access some websites, but I hope it doesn't happen for something as significant as a job listing. If it did I mightn't consider that a worthwhile company)
Ray wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:41 pm This is a bit wild to me - I've lived without smartphones, but since I was little I was given to carry around those tiny nokia phones "for emergency". I never lived in an era where you would go out and be unreachable, and I admit that without a mobile phone of some kind, I'd feel naked! :'D
wowsers
msxdotgay
Reactions:
Pronouns: They/Them

Post by msxdotgay »

Cobra! wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:21 pm Like a desktop computer, it can do everything, but it doesn't mean you should use it for everything. I think it has it's place, but that place isn't everywhere.
This right here is why I carry a laptop with me most of the time.

Yeah, I could edit my website using my phone. But why would I torture myself that way? Hell, I'm typing this on my EeePC running Windows XP, and it's a *much* better typing experience than my phone's keyboard ever will be.

Oh yeah, picture editing. Sometimes, I'll carry an older digital camera with me. While I find my phone to work pretty well for editing pictures with an older version of Adobe Photoshop Express, what if I want to add it to my website? I need to make a thumbnail, upload both images to my website, and edit the camera's page to include the image. I'd give up at step 1 if I was forced to use my phone. It's decent for communication, and it's nice having a camera and flashlight in my pocket at all times, but that's about all I really use my smartphone for.

Plus, good luck getting 3D Space Cadet Pinball on Android. :P
Image Image Image Image Image
msxdotgay
Reactions:
Pronouns: They/Them

Post by msxdotgay »

vivi wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:44 pm I would wait maybe 30 minutes or thereabouts. I've on one occurrence waited 60 minutes, though I don't think I'd every time. A mobile phone would indeed be useful in such a situation.
To me, you seem like the kind of person that would be best fit for a phone that can only call and text. I'd say a cheap flip phone would be good, but even the $20 Nokias I've seen at Target come with much more than that. Not everyone needs apps and games on their phones, and I wish that was something understood by phones that are cheaper than $250.

Even then, sometimes it's nice to be disconnected from everyone else. If I'm camping and I just want to chill out, all I need is a radio and a good music station. Have a phone just in case, but otherwise, keep it off and in my pocket.
Image Image Image Image Image
vivi
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by vivi »

msxdotgay wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:39 pm To me, you seem like the kind of person that would be best fit for a phone that can only call and text. I'd say a cheap flip phone would be good, but even the $20 Nokias I've seen at Target come with much more than that. Not everyone needs apps and games on their phones, and I wish that was something understood by phones that are cheaper than $250.
Mayhaps. I'll try to keep that in mind if I ever buy a phone (or I'll completely forget as I am apt to do). I was thinking if I needed one I might get the cheapest jailbreakable one and replace its interface with whatever (which might be very little if all the interface needed to do was call/text). There are no Targets in Canada but I think phones in stores here tend to have similar features too.
vivi
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by vivi »

vivi wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:09 pm Reading a book may or mayn't give one motion-sickness.
I tried reading a book on the bus and it gave me lots of motion sickness; would not recommend
yequari
Websurfer
Reactions:

Post by yequari »

---
Last edited by yequari on Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doubleincision
Reactions:

Post by doubleincision »

yequari wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:39 am - Navigation in places I'm unfamiliar with.
this is the biggest benefit of a smartphone for me. i have an extremely hard time navigating even familiar areas without my phone's assistance because of the way my brain works :stare: i also like having a camera on me all the time and i like the ability to quickly search for information. other than that i don't really do anything else with my current smartphone! i've been eyeing the titan pocket for some time because it seems to perfectly fit what i would be using it for.

also, i love the suggestion from earlier in the thread of carrying around a notebook to write things down. i do that with my phone, but then my notes just get buried in the digital pile and i forget i ever took them in the first place :P
juette
Webmaster
Reactions:
Pronouns: it/he/they

Post by juette »

using public transportation without a phone is getting a lot harder here cause there used to be little signs with the bus schedules written on them at every stop but theyve recently been removed from a lot of stops to force people to use their app (which really sucks by the way.........) and train schedules regularly get changed by a minute or two so depending on how tight your schedule is it can definitely change whether or not you catch that train. it kinda sucks how theyre forcing us to use our phones more cause while i do use my phone a lot and find it very practical i know not everyone can use them as easily and also anyone can just. run out of battery
vivi
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by vivi »

juette wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:18 pm using public transportation without a phone is getting a lot harder here cause there used to be little signs with the bus schedules written on them at every stop but theyve recently been removed from a lot of stops to force people to use their app (which really sucks by the way.........) and train schedules regularly get changed by a minute or two so depending on how tight your schedule is it can definitely change whether or not you catch that train. it kinda sucks how theyre forcing us to use our phones more cause while i do use my phone a lot and find it very practical i know not everyone can use them as easily and also anyone can just. run out of battery
those do sound like problems ye
in my location some bus stops have the schedules and some don't (not sure whether they're being added or removed); when a stop has no schedule I've been using my area's transit network's website to find bus times before I go outside, and/or been waiting at bus stops for indefinite periods of time.
I remember my area had pocketable paper bus timetables but I haven't seen any lately
(and trains here are generally frequent enough that that's not a problem for me, but buses: infrequent)