Has anybody tried BSD Distros, Amiga and Haiku OS

Talk about your website ideas, web design, coding, software and hardware.
Blog47177
Webmaster
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/Him

Has anybody tried BSD Distros, Amiga and Haiku OS

Post by Blog47177 »

Yes these Operating systems are not related to Linux but they are ones to consider. I know FreeBSD, OpenBSD are some of the biggest distros among the BSD's.

I heard of other computer nerds talk about Amiga OS, Haiku OS. These are very niche operating systems.

I considered them before settling on Debian Linux related distros like Ubuntu and Mint for my computer though.
yequari
Websurfer
Reactions:

Re: Has anybody tried BSD Distros, Amiga and Haiku OS

Post by yequari »

---
Last edited by yequari on Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marginalia
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by marginalia »

Tried FreeBSD once back in the day. Had to edit the kernel drivers to patch a kernel bug dealing with my ethernet chip the first thing I did. Good times.
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in
qt3.14
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by qt3.14 »

Never just installed a BSD. Would love to learn the ins and outs of them and start using them as my server OS for non-containerized apps at some point.

Currently use OPNsense for my firewall and other networking services and I'm a massive fan of it. It uses FreeBSD as it's OS. Have a virtual network that's isolated from my home network and OPNsense runs all of it.
Track of the now - Red Star Singers - Pig Nixon
Serah
Websurfer
Reactions:
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Serah »

Well, I own an Amiga 1200 and use that quite regularly :p I know that's not what you mean, though.

But I have considered grabbing a PPC machine with Amiga OS 4 just for the novelty of it. It's a very enjoyable looking OS and has all the software support you would need to make it your daily driver unless you wanted to perform specific professional productivity work. Haiku seems fun, too, but more like something I'd install on the ancient laptops of my less tech-savvy friends and family.

I've tried FreeBSD and it was fine but I never wound up sticking with it as my primary OS.

I spent a little while with Risc OS as my primary and that was a good time! It reminded me of my very first computing experience, using the Acorn Archimedes my school had.
Mantis Orientalis
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Mantis Orientalis »

I daily drove OpenBSD for 2 weeks as a challenge and it was pretty pleasant. Network configuration, audio control, package management- all dead simple really. Of course, you will get more mileage out of a Linux distro or OS thats -specifically- designed for a desktop experience. Not saying OpenBSD can't be a desktop but... tbh stick with a Linux distro if you want the most out of your hardware. I usually save the BSDs for old laptops. Again- not saying the BSD can't work... I've made them work, but usually the mileage was not worth the time (at least in my case, I dont do any server stuff and I am merely a desktop user.)

rina
Websurfer
Reactions:
Pronouns: she/her

Post by rina »

i used freebsd its okayyy but its very very limited. think of linux 7 years ago
Rynn
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: Any

Post by Rynn »

I've done a lot of hopping between various operating systems over the years, so I've spent some time with a few of these.
  • Haiku OS: Definitely at the top of my 'OSs to keep an eye on' list. While it's just a tech preview currently, it has the potential to a nice alternative to Linux and the BSDs in the future if they can continue accelerating the pace of development.
  • FreeBSD: Very solid and the closest to Linux out of this list. Driver support can definitely be spotty, but ZFS is a joy and something I wish was standard in Linux and OpenBSD. Speaking of which...
  • OpenBSD: My favorite OS of choice currently. I'm still learning the ins and outs of the OS, but its a process made easier by the fact that the organization of the system is just superb. It also helps that the documentation that comes with the system is better than any other I've used. Unfortunately, it does suffer from even worse driver support than FreeBSD (unless you're running on a Thinkpad), and the performance has also taken a hit to support their extremely tight security model.
[Vultr Hosting] ($100 credit referral link)
[Gemini Protocol]
Blog47177
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by Blog47177 »

https://www.serenityos.org

Here is another one to look at Serenity OS it has some 1990's look to desktops.
CyberCat2000
Reactions:

Post by CyberCat2000 »

Haiku is a project that while I'm on-off on, I'm still eagerly anticipating! I did like the look of BeOS despite never having used it, and appearances aside, it has a few interesting concepts! When the stable release comes, I'm gonna try to have at least ONE computer that'll use Haiku as its main OS!

As for BSDs, I admit, while I've tried them a few times, I couldn't get into it. helloSystem does look promising, though. I'd love to use an Amiga system one day!
RogerMexico
Websurfer
Reactions:

Post by RogerMexico »

I used NetBSD and FreeBSD very briefly like 15 years ago.

I think I struggled to get WiFi working at the time and simply haven’t tried since.
Rynn
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by Rynn »

RogerMexico wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:08 pm I used NetBSD and FreeBSD very briefly like 15 years ago.

I think I struggled to get WiFi working at the time and simply haven’t tried since.
I can't speak for NetBSD, but you would have a much different experience with FreeBSD today. 15 years ago would have been just before Netflix gave FreeBSD a bit of a popularity injection, which has helped with its development in several areas such as driver support.
[Gemini Protocol]
RogerMexico
Websurfer
Reactions:

Post by RogerMexico »

Rynn wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:11 pm which has helped with its development in several areas such as driver support.
I imagine if I installed it on an old ThinkPad most things would Just Work?
Rynn
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by Rynn »

RogerMexico wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:30 am
Rynn wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:11 pm which has helped with its development in several areas such as driver support.
I imagine if I installed it on an old ThinkPad most things would Just Work?
It probably depends a bit on the model, but when I had it on my old Thinkpad a few years ago I don't recall having any issues.
[Gemini Protocol]