Online games reccomendation thread

Coordinate online projects, activities and digital meetups, and share socials.
Sofly
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: She/Her

Online games reccomendation thread

Post by Sofly »

Oh hey hi!

This is a small list of games i'd reccomend for organizing and getting together to play, they may range from classic arena shooters, tiny (M)MORPGs or anything in between, most of this list comes from raddle's FOSS games list, so if you feel i skipped over one, or want to try any of the other games in that list, feel free to do so (and also to add your own!)

The mana world is an 2D MMORPG that has been supported since 2004, it's fully open source and has a tiny yet dedicated community of both players and contributors, it's of course very oldschool in both looks and mechanics, but depending on who you are, that might add to the charm

Your Only Move is HUSTLE is a really original game, it's a really complete turn-based fighting game, with almost every fighting game mechanic in it (DI, specials, cancels, whatever you may think), it's pretty daunting, but once you get a hang on how it all works, it can be really fun, especially the ending where the round plays at full speed

Xonotic is a fast paced, boots-on-the-ground, no bullshit arena shooter, emulating the feel of the classic Quake with a sci-fi look to it, with more weapons, more maps, more gamemodes, probably one of the most reccomended to grab a couple of friends and start fragging

Super Tux Kart's name leaves little to interpretation, it's a Mario Kart-like with the roaster composed of Foss program mascots, such as Tux (Linux), Suzanne (Blender), Godette (Godot), and many many more

nQuake is a free QuakeWorld client; QuakeWorld was a Quake update released in 1996, with it's source code released just three years later in 1999, if you ever want to experience what was like to be in the beggining of the arena shooter genre, there is absolutely no better option; and it even comes with a begginer's guide to teach you where to start
(I also reccomend learning more about the QuakeWorld community in general, the fact that they're as alive as they are is honestly awesome)

OpenSpades is an Ace of Spades clone that really doesn't have much to talk about, it's a simple voxel FPS with construction elements, really simple and easy to pick up, the largest part of the community is hosted in Aloha.pk where they also host servers and modding guides

That's all of the games i can think of and have personally tried, feel free to add your own suggestions or maybe even organize plays with anyone, since that's what this board is for :lol:
Last edited by Sofly on Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

inbtwn
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/they

Re: Online games reccomendation thread

Post by inbtwn »

When it comes to free multiplayer games, you can't go wrong with good ol' Sauerbraten. Or Teeworlds.

Also don't forget the revivals of old, long-dead multiplayer games, such as FreeSO (The Sims Online), or Novetus (old Roblox).

Finally, an honorable mention goes to Manyland, an old 2D virtual world I used to hang out on where every tile in the world is user-created and made out of pixels. Super fun to just explore for a while when you're bored.
PawSense
Reactions:
Pronouns: she/they

Post by PawSense »

i have a bunch of small browser games bookmarked for when i get bored! here's just a few of my favorites:
  • sudo sweep, a combination of sudoku and minesweeper where you work on both at the same time, using one to solve the other
  • familiars.io, a monster catching RPG with a new type chart and very cute creatures :)
Yukari
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Yukari »

Yume Nikki Online Project - Yume Nikki and a bunch of its fangames in your browser! If you make an account it will save your progress on the site, or you can download a local save file and re-upload it. There's also multiplayer and as I type this there's 90+ people playing Yume 2kki right now. You can also make private rooms if you don't want to co-op with randos.

wobble.town - tamagotchi-esque website made by one of the members of the Yesterweb. You take care of a wobble! And feed other ppl's wobbles.
idk what I'm doing! but hi everyone!
lacrymosa
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: she/her

Post by lacrymosa »

vampires! the dark alleyway

you're basically a vampire and you go around the city and drink blood from humans and other vampires, among a few other things. it's pretty simple, but it's fun :)