Things you would like for the future of the web

Talk about the past, present and future of the internet.
Grafo
Reactions:

Things you would like for the future of the web

Post by Grafo »

As the title says. Tell everyone about things you would like for the future of the web. Let's discuss our visions for it!
I will start:
1) No more algorithmically sorted content or at least it not being obscure (something like that could be useful if you actually know what it's doing and you can configure it)
2) A less permanent web. A lot of people might disagree with me but I think if data on the web would be a healthier one (profiling by big tech corporations would be harder if they weren't able to record for eternity every step we make on the web)
3) People being more aware of the cost of things on the web. Not just in money but also for the climate.

Those are some. I'm curious to read more from everyone in here :D
mrwillhorlen
Banned
Reactions:

Re: Things you would like for the future of the web

Post by mrwillhorlen »

the total erasure of social media
princemaggots
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/it

Post by princemaggots »

Aside from what was mentioned, I'd also like greater customization in styling back on the web ! While you can achieve some level of customization with a browser plugin like Stylus, I think more sites need to have styling options built into their site (beyond just the light/dark mode of a lot of sites).

Secondly, if there has to be ads on social media (though obviously I'd prefer there to be none at all), I wish they were at least less obtrusive -_- it's easy to get away from them on my computer, but not so much on my phone and I find them extremely annoying in their current form (like does youtube really need to serve me 5 ads on a 30 minute video ? no). In this sense I prefer Tumblr's model, where ads don't really detract from your ability to browse the site aside from being annoying to scroll past occasionally.

In speaking of Tumblr (and of customization), I would definitely also prefer the ability to turn off algorithmically generated content. I just want to see stuff curated from people I follow, not what the site decides I need to see -_-
GaryStu
Websurfer
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/him

Post by GaryStu »

I don't want the web to go backwards.

I believe algorithms can be good, and can be done in an ethical way to supplement human curation rather than override it. I think a For You page is better than a Most Popular Today page, and I like automated digests and catchups to what banger posts were made while I was asleep. It makes the web feel less time sensitive. Although you MUST always have access to a chronological feed - hey did you know an algorithm crunches the time and dates to show you your chronological feed? I think its interesting.

Forums are social media, and I strongly believe we can't discuss social communication on the web while we completely other forums from corperate social media platforms.

Anyway, I would like to see:
- Greater web interconnectiveness. I want the web to feel like a network. More Yahoo!Pipes and fediverse and indieweb, and less web silos and closed API's.
- Degrowth of corperate platforms, and growth of smaller communities.
- Just make it better. ;-) Make hosting and streaming and delivering large files easier. ;-) Its easy. ;-)
- no yanks on the web
All my social links are on the home page of my website, just above the webrings.

Image Image

Cobra!
Webmaster
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/They

Post by Cobra! »

mrwillhorlen wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:12 pm the total erasure of social media
Just wanted to say your signature accompanies your post perfectly! :lol:

I think there are 3 things I want to see from the web.
  1. No tageted ads or selling data - preaching to the choir here, but obviously the web will feel like a less corporate place without these.
  2. Less centralisation - I miss the days where the internet consisted pretty much only of spaces such as forums. You had people to connect to, but the internet felt way bigger because there was more to it than just your circles. Nowadays with social media, well, the 5 social medias are just about the vast majority of the internet, as most things are on there.

Gemini does a pretty good attempt at recreating the decentralised nature of the old web, but the problem there is it actually is a lot smaller, and with search functions still needing work and there only be a handful of orbits (their equivalent to web rings), it’s not quite there yet.
  3. Be less English Language/American centric - This is probably an extension of world culture in general, but I don’t like how the internet seems to default to English and how the language seems to have by far the biggest space on the net. Also with how America-centric it is. American values and ways of life seem to just be seen as the default. Even as a Scottish person, I feel like I’m “not normal” on the internet because things work much differently here than they do in the US.
mrwillhorlen
Banned
Reactions:

Post by mrwillhorlen »

Valeria22 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:22 pm
These I agree with, but my hopes go further:
  • No javascript
  • No 3rd party connections (CDNs, fonts, etc)
  • Forums, Email, IRC, and other simple protocols I'm not aware for all online communications
Basically, go back to the days of Web 1.0.
no ma'am, not everyone can accept that, one of the defining quirks of the internet is the presence of the interactive content and decorations, which is what gets people excited the most during its inception, to revert the internet into its early state is no different than tearing down old buildings and replacing them with soulless, sterile brutalist buildings
my core attitude on the web revival movement is not only to take it away from the corpo-federal (notice why i always included the goverment and not just corporations) encroachment and commoditization but also to utilize its technology to the fullest, the internet was once a world of its own, full of exciting inexhaustible adventures and i want people to know that
Blog47177
Webmaster
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Blog47177 »

Cobra! wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:18 am
mrwillhorlen wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:12 pm the total erasure of social media
Just wanted to say your signature accompanies your post perfectly! :lol:

I think there are 3 things I want to see from the web.
  1. No tageted ads or selling data - preaching to the choir here, but obviously the web will feel like a less corporate place without these.
  2. Less centralisation - I miss the days where the internet consisted pretty much only of spaces such as forums. You had people to connect to, but the internet felt way bigger because there was more to it than just your circles. Nowadays with social media, well, the 5 social medias are just about the vast majority of the internet, as most things are on there.

Gemini does a pretty good attempt at recreating the decentralised nature of the old web, but the problem there is it actually is a lot smaller, and with search functions still needing work and there only be a handful of orbits (their equivalent to web rings), it’s not quite there yet.
  3. Be less English Language/American centric - This is probably an extension of world culture in general, but I don’t like how the internet seems to default to English and how the language seems to have by far the biggest space on the net. Also with how America-centric it is. American values and ways of life seem to just be seen as the default. Even as a Scottish person, I feel like I’m “not normal” on the internet because things work much differently here than they do in the US.
I agree it should be less American centric. It should be more like Switzerland, Netherlands like. I know there are stories on how the Internet leans more in favor for Super Powers than smaller countries.
Starfia
Websurfer
Reactions:

Increased general literacy around the nature of the Web.

Post by Starfia »

I'm a little disappointed to see answers like "none of this," or "this should be erased." One reason why the Web is such a revolutionary human achievement is that there's theoretically enough space for an infinite amount of everything, and that's theoretically not a problem since no individual needs to intersect with any portion of it. Sometimes it is a problem in practice since people intersect with it anyway, but I think it's a flawed aspiration to somehow pull the plug on a particular subset of it. (In that spirit, of course, while I'm disappointed to see them, I think people should be entitled to express them – the Web is big enough for that too.)

Like many here, I'll always care for Twitter and Facebook less than I care for a world full of personal web pages. One approach to "combatting" ad tracking and large centralized sites is to campaign for government regulation of their power, or to campaign socially against them. But if I really think it through, I don't really want Twitter and Facebook to die, and I don't want people (other than me) who genuinely still want to work on them and "live" in them to be stuck.

Instead, I would like everyone to have the opportunity to gain a higher average level of technical literacy and be more exposed to the idea that the personal web exists and everybody can participate in it. For example, I think a unit on making a simple web page should be part of the standard grade school curriculum, and that web pages should be an encouraged medium for school projects and presentations in general. I interpret that more positive approach to be something the Yesterweb stands for. Helping to promote the idea that everyone can and should try to be smarter and more creative on the Web enables people to realize they can help improve the web by contributing to it and making different conscious choices about how they use it.

So, that's the main change I'd like to see as the Web evolves, and hopefully as people evolve with it.

Honorary mention: my heart has a place for Blog47177's comment about English-centric and American-centric content. (Though to invoke the original attitude once more, I'd prefer to say I'd enjoy encountering of "more from other world languages and nations" than "less English or American" content. And I understand the emphasis as much of modern computing and programming arose in California and the Web was essentially invented by a British fellow, but that fellow purposely declared it available for anyone in the world to use freely.) The ability to instantly "travel the world" is another thing that made the Web revolutionary, and with browsers increasingly offering instantaneous translation, it's a better time than ever to write in your own tongue with confidence you can be reasonably well understood by someone who's never even heard it.
Last edited by Starfia on Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ray
Webwalker
Reactions:
Pronouns: They/She

Re: Increased general literacy around the nature of the Web.

Post by Ray »

Starfia wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:46 pm Instead, I would like everyone to have the opportunity to gain a higher average level of technical literacy and be more exposed to the idea that the personal web exists and everybody can participate in it. For example, I think a unit on making a simple web page should be part of the standard grade school curriculum, and that web pages should be an encouraged medium for school projects and presentations in general. I interpret that more positive approach to be something the Yesterweb stands for. Helping to promote the idea that everyone can and should try to be smarter and more creative on the Web enables people to realize they can help improve the web by contributing to it and making different conscious choices about how they use it.

So, that's the main change I'd like to see as the Web evolves, and hopefully as people evolve with it.
Yes!! I love your contribution! I genuinely think the only way we can hope to go forward and make a bit of a change is just by... creating. Putting on the web what we wish to see on the web, and making those spaces worthwhile for others to be in. It's much easier to rally against something (which is often still necessary/good, don't get me wrong) than to roll up your sleeves, organize, and show an alternative to those willing to listen. It's good to put out more of this energy out, lest we become a group of cranky nostalgics with no purpose except being quirky and alternative for its own sake :P

I think you could get a lot of people interested in learning more about the web, by presenting personal websites as a new cool alternative, and then slowly reeling them in, haha. Then it's up to them to decide if they prefer the social media way, the blogging way, something in the middle, or both.

I also share the sentiment about the internet being too American-centric (and English centric in general), but I'm also very, very guilty of this. I've debated about writing my website in italian, but went against it because - the ppl interested in this stuff already are a niche, and the Italians on here are even less.
I wonder - I'm slooowly starting like online courses on basic webdev stuff. Maybe there's some advanced way to make a "language toggle" - I'd love for my site to be bilingual. (Still just projects, as for now it's a barebones idea of what a site should be, heh)
Image ImageIf we're not supposed to dance, Why all this music?

Keep in touch: The Web Raft, everyone welcome!
Say hi! ray@emailsnail.net
@plantcreature Telegram
Happy to make friends! <3
Cobra!
Webmaster
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/They

Re: Increased general literacy around the nature of the Web.

Post by Cobra! »

Starfia wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:46 pm I'm a little disappointed to see answers like "none of this," or "this should be erased." One reason why the Web is such a revolutionary human achievement is that there's theoretically enough space for an infinite amount of everything, and that's theoretically no a problem since no individual needs to intersect with any portion of it. Sometimes it is a problem in practice since people intersect with it anyway, but I think it's a flawed aspiration to somehow pull the plug on a particular subset of it. (In that spirit, of course, while I'm disappointed to see them, I think people should be entitled to express them – the Web is big enough for that too.)
I would agree with this, actually. We should be more positive in our wording and manifestos. Sadly, I'm not very good at that... ^^"
Starfia wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:46 pmInstead, I would like everyone to have the opportunity to gain a higher average level of technical literacy and be more exposed to the idea that the personal web exists and everybody can participate in it. For example, I think a unit on making a simple web page should be part of the standard grade school curriculum, and that web pages should be an encouraged medium for school projects and presentations in general. I interpret that more positive approach to be something the Yesterweb stands for. Helping to promote the idea that everyone can and should try to be smarter and more creative on the Web enables people to realize they can help improve the web by contributing to it and making different conscious choices about how they use it.

It might help, but sadly, social media is programmed to get even the smartest of people addicted when they aren't aware of what's going on. I know smart people who endlessly scroll through Facebook, Twitter or Reddit. Heck, Neil deGrasse Tyson is very active on Twitter and he's probably one of the smartest people alive today!
Starfia wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:46 pm Like many here, I'll always care for Twitter and Facebook and less than I care for a world full of personal web pages. One approach to "combatting" ad tracking and large centralized sites is to campaign for government regulation of their power, or to campaign socially against them. But if I really think it through, I don't really want Twitter and Facebook to die, and I don't want people (other than me) who genuinely still want to work on them and "live" in them to be stuck.
I think the issue with that is that these websites have loads of money set aside to lobby against such policies and to lobby for less regulation so they can do even more. Even when the EU once tried to sue Facebook for a couple of million over them tracking people who don't even have an account, Facebook sent out their lawyers against the case. Even though the money they would have lost wouldn't have put a dent in their finances.

There is also GDPR, which is something I guess, but most sites don't properly follow the regulation, and sites like Facebook are actually exempt from having to put cookie warnings on their site. Wonder why that is...
Ray wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:14 am I also share the sentiment about the internet being too American-centric (and English centric in general), but I'm also very, very guilty of this. I've debated about writing my website in italian, but went against it because - the ppl interested in this stuff already are a niche, and the Italians on here are even less.
I've implemented that on my site, as you've probably seen. I could give you some pointers.
Rynn
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: Any

Return the Web to the People

Post by Rynn »

My desire for the future of the web can be summed up as simply returning the web to the people.It's ludicrous that the modern internet is basically controlled by five companies. Some extra diversity would go a long, long ways towards fixing many of the issues we see.

Even better would be a return to self-hosting. But I don't think there's any chance of that, sadly.
[Vultr Hosting] ($100 credit referral link)
[Gemini Protocol]
Blog47177
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by Blog47177 »

Where the web could be going.
Starfia
Websurfer
Reactions:

Re: Return the Web to the People

Post by Starfia »

Rynn wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:29 pm My desire for the future of the web can be summed up as simply returning the web to the people. It's ludicrous that the modern internet is basically controlled by five companies. Some extra diversity would go a long, long ways towards fixing many of the issues we see.

Even better would be a return to self-hosting. But I don't think there's any chance of that, sadly.
That's far more succinct than my answer and I'm right with you on with the two main points, though maybe we differ philosophically on the nature of the situation. (What would "return the Web to the people" mean in practical terms? Exactly who would intervene to procure what, and to whom would they return it?) To me, it seems more like the Web already belongs to the people and always has, and they just don't know it. It was "the people's" choice to make their homes within social media account slots because that just seems like "what you do." So the task of those who do know it is to spread the word.

I think there's plenty of diversity on the Web – extremely different opinions on anything and everything, and people with sites and blogs from every connected country – and the main trouble there is finding it. I would love to more easily act on a thought like "I want to check the globe for a country I barely even know the name of, and read the everyday thoughts of a particular person there." But even today, that takes some digging.

And I would love self-hosting to be considered at least as typical as having a phone. I'm just experimenting with it now with the prospect of hosting my own home site for the first time. People warn that it's challenging and caution is called for, and I believe them, but so far the experimentation feels so fundamentally better than jiggling settings on a remote unknown machine on which I'm paying to rent some sliver of space that I don't know what took me so long at least to try. There are easy-to-find podcasts, tutorials, and communities around self-hosting. I lament that it isn't the norm, but I think it could come back.
catra
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: she/they

Post by catra »

so im not a web nerd, half of these answers i honestly dont understand, but as a noob i do wish that it was easier for me to find small websites like this and many others, that it was easier to avoid websites that werent actually written by professionals within a certain topic, but just huge sites w a lot of opinions without any expertise that got the attention.
i got a warning for my old signature so im a cool kid now 8)
Twilight Fallen
Reactions:
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Twilight Fallen »

Something or someone that would really prevent violence from occurring. Cyberbullying, sites with criminal content, AND, anonymous places where people confess the most absurd things. I get that people don't want to be tracked and etc, but there are literal teenagers planning and putting into practice terrorist acts, inspired by Columbine and others, thanks to this anonymity. And investigators and the police can only identify who these people are when they have already started the attack. Anonymity should be effective enough so bad people can't look into your stuff, not effective enough to people be able to commit crimes.
Uneuclid
Reactions:

Post by Uneuclid »

the return of more community driven websites and the revival of pre-minimalist web design and honestly for people to take the web less seriously

i remember someone once saying the web used to be an escape from reality but now it is reality
Blog47177
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by Blog47177 »

catra wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:59 pm so im not a web nerd, half of these answers i honestly dont understand, but as a noob i do wish that it was easier for me to find small websites like this and many others, that it was easier to avoid websites that werent actually written by professionals within a certain topic, but just huge sites w a lot of opinions without any expertise that got the attention.

There are YouTube videos out there that are reviewing and doing how to videos for Neocities and writing html code for neocities. I am a noob too but have learned to write on Neocities.

Here are some of them and they are doing reviews and tutorials for personal sites on Neocities. Yes WordPress, Weebly, Wix, Square space and Joomla are the more dominant ones because businesses are there.

m1k3
Reactions:

Post by m1k3 »

I hate to be a downer, but I don't think the future of the current web will be positive. I see others saying that they don't want to go back or lose functionality, but it's THAT functionality which put us in our current state of hyper exploitation. Putting your hope in people and corporations to make ethical choices will never work. I know that sounds incredibly cynical but I personally feel that's just reality. Many people in our society will always exploit others if there's an easy method to do so.

In my opinion the path forward is...

1. Eliminate javascript or at least drastically limit it's functionality in browsers
2. Focus on asynchronous communication such as forums, email, mailing lists, etc.
3. No heavy algorithms, preferably only user created and opt-in

As Valeria22 mentioned, basically go back to web 1.0 with minor improvements. Obviously this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I don't see a path forward without an overhaul of what the web has become. This is why the smolnet is growing...people have had enough of corporate manipulation and scammers. Let's focus more on the content and thoughtful responses instead of continuous ads, notifications, and the never-ending anxiety-inducing dopamine feed.
Last edited by m1k3 on Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catra
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: she/they

Post by catra »

Blog47177 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:34 pm
catra wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:59 pm so im not a web nerd, half of these answers i honestly dont understand, but as a noob i do wish that it was easier for me to find small websites like this and many others, that it was easier to avoid websites that werent actually written by professionals within a certain topic, but just huge sites w a lot of opinions without any expertise that got the attention.

There are YouTube videos out there that are reviewing and doing how to videos for Neocities and writing html code for neocities. I am a noob too but have learned to write on Neocities.

Here are some of them and they are doing reviews and tutorials for personal sites on Neocities. Yes WordPress, Weebly, Wix, Square space and Joomla are the more dominant ones because businesses are there.

ooohh i didnt know this, this is pretty useful. thanks!
i got a warning for my old signature so im a cool kid now 8)
Twilight Fallen
Reactions:

Post by Twilight Fallen »

I want to add something more besides internet security. Something should prohibit people from spewing violent words publicly at social media. You can't say anything anymore, or comment something innofensive, people react really badly like you just cussed at their mother. People are just being argumentative towards the most unnecessary things. They are all armed just expecting you to say something so they can reply. Something should unable people from arguing. Like, if you want to argue, go argue outside this social media/any type of arguing is banned or sum.
Necrosia
Reactions:

Post by Necrosia »

Valeria22 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:22 pm These I agree with, but my hopes go further:
  • No javascript
  • No 3rd party connections (CDNs, fonts, etc)
  • Forums, Email, IRC, and other simple protocols I'm not aware for all online communications
m1k3 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:51 am 1. Eliminate javascript or at least drastically limit it's functionality in browsers

Color me curious, why no javascript?
m1k3
Reactions:

Post by m1k3 »

Necrosia wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:08 pm Color me curious, why no javascript?
Putting aside technical limitations of the language, these are my main gripes:

- Introduces security vulnerabilities
- Bloated sites and electron apps
- Crazy dev ecosystem, tooling, frameworks, libraries, and NIH syndrome galore
- Overused and overkill for things CSS alone can accomplish
- Often used for spyware and ads
- Turns browser into a complex OS when it shouldn’t be
- Easy to create inefficient code leading to poor performance and high energy usage (battery drain)
Rynn
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by Rynn »

m1k3 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:00 am

- Easy to create inefficient code leading to poor performance and high energy usage (battery drain)
That pretty much sums up all my issues with Javascript. And I say that as someone who has to work on Javascript code on a daily basis.
[Gemini Protocol]
Necrosia
Reactions:

Post by Necrosia »

m1k3 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:00 am

Any technology by default is neither good or bad, it's what people do with it that can be good or bad and most of what you mentioned are user-introduced problems rather than the problem of the technology itself. It seems that your approach to the situation is "since a lot of people are using it poorly, then no one should use it at all" which I personally disagree.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with points 2,3,4 and 7 but I find that banning javascript all together would put a huge damper on the creative possibilites.

How many sites back in the day were coded in php? Many! Javascript is the modern php in the aspect that it has almost no entry pre-requisite be it hardware or software wise, you don't need an over bloated dev ecosystem or libraries, you can do it with a simple notepad and it will work as good as any library since all of them build to default javascript code anyway. You don't need a dedicated server or special installations to run it, neocities would do just fine.

An accessible programing language is empowering specially when it's already widely used, granting people the knowledge to use it is also empowering, it stops being something of big tech corporations and it starts becoming something anyone can do, it demystifies and help people have a broader understanding.

Thanks to javascript there have been a huge boom on indie games because never before have been so easy to make a game, the amount of free content is incredible. If the retro web movement is all about making the web user-made again then give people the tools to do it!

Of course that having an accessible language introduces a lot of user-made mistakes exactly as it was back in the php days but outright banning it is retrograde, sure limit what it's allowed to do, make the browser more secure but do not cut the possibility of usage simply because there are plenty of bad examples.

Don't forbid people from using, educate them instead, be it for creating or consuming.

( for reference, I also work on Javascript code on a daily basis.)
m1k3
Reactions:

Post by m1k3 »

Necrosia wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:53 am Any technology by default is neither good or bad, it's what people do with it that can be good or bad and most of what you mentioned are user-introduced problems rather than the problem of the technology itself. It seems that your approach to the situation is "since a lot of people are using it poorly, then no one should use it at all" which I personally disagree.
Absolutely, most if not all are user created issues but that's due to inherent problems of the language, runtime, and implementation. I'm fine with people using it, my main issue is that the current web is almost unusable without having JS turned on in the browser. The majority of users simply want to read content, view photos/images/video, and interact with others like we are now. Much of this doesn't require instant dom manipulation and multi-megabyte payloads of JS libraries and 3rd party assets.

Also, what's to stop people from creating games outside of the browser? There are other alternatives to JS that could be used to be creative as well. I'm not advocating that JS be eliminated from the world, just that it not be a requirement to use the web which, in the web's current state, is mostly the case.

I acknowledge that it makes you happy and I wouldn't want to take that away from you. But, we'll have to agree to disagree about it's overall usefulness on the web. :)
lime360
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/him

Post by lime360 »

literally no internet

just kidding I actually want people to make more websites
m1k3
Reactions:

Post by m1k3 »

Or gemini capsules...or gopher holes...or whatever comes next...
Blog47177
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by Blog47177 »

We watch this talk and take some ideas from this.
Rynn
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by Rynn »

Good ol' Tomasino. Nice guy, if any of you are IRC users, he's pretty active in Tilde.Chat.
[Gemini Protocol]
Sofly
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by Sofly »

I'd personally love a more focused emphasis on customization, i feel that's a thing that has been gradually deteriorating more and more over the years, like, remember when YouTube allowed you to personalize the entire background of your profile? and also change the colors?

Nowdays most of the times you're limited to a profile picture, a banner, and a bio, with sometimes dedicated spaces for links and such; the only major social media site remaining that allows you to still customize almost anything on your profile (as far as i know) is tumblr, wich A) It's getting closer and closer to looking and feeling similar to facebook and twitter and B) Most of the time people are gonna look at your profile through a really, really simplified version of it.

Anachronism
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/Him, Don't Care

Post by Anachronism »

Easy free website development.
If I ever become a howevermuchitcoststobuyatopleveldomaininare, I want to make domain like .self or something and make an easy form to get a domain. (To cut out websquating) I would also supply free hosting up to some value, and then just let people go wild. I think if it was easier and more appealing and if people knew about what they can implement, there would be tons of little website communities, maybe with some connections, so people can get out of their bubble. Sorry for the bad spelling or grammar or something, i'm writing in the dark and i'm tired.
[əˈnakrəˌnizəm]

NOUN
a thing belonging or appropriate to a period other than that in which it exists, especially a thing that is conspicuously old-fashioned:
"I am an anachronism, I am stuck in 5 generations at once."
kazewa
Reactions:

Post by kazewa »

"Less English language"

I agree with this in the sense that it has definitely become worse. 10-20 years to the past you could find plenty of material and websites even in smaller languages about relatively niche topics. Social media, on the other hand, is all about maximizing the likes and the numbers and the visibility, so it benefits to post in English. And this has resulted in the disappearance of a lot of internet spaces and resources in smaller languages.

In a way I wish for more presence from Europe, Japan, Australia, India, what have you, because sometimes it feels like the options are the US, China or Russia when it comes to internet services.