Tumblr Mobile Updates

Talk about the past, present and future of the internet.
nitronine
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/It

Tumblr Mobile Updates

Post by nitronine »

Woke up and my tumblr app had auto-updated. They replaced the profile tab with a tab that opens their fucking merch store. They're also implementing tons of measures to tiktok-ify their app, like adding a reels and livestream feature... I'm legitimately so upset. I feel like tumblr was the only mainstream social media that hadn't fallen into the hell of algorithm based social media but it seems like i had false hope (i should've been more suspicious when they implemented a "for you " tab). I feel like they're shilling to me and betraying a lot of the core user base. It's almost actively hostile. Don't they know that a lot of ppl use tumblr cause they don't like tiktok, instagram, and twitter? jesus fucking christ. sorry for the rant, I know that tumblr is a business like every other social media platform and they only care about the bottom line, but I'm just legitimately mad. Fuck tumblr staff.
catra
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: she/they

Re: Tumblr Mobile Updates

Post by catra »

damn ive spent hours on tumblr today and havent gotten that update yet, i was already a newbie trying to adjust and sorta getting the hang of it but now itll be hard again smh. at least if they do all of that stuff i hope theyll add a sort of filter? cus i dont want to scroll and suddenly land on livestreams
i got a warning for my old signature so im a cool kid now 8)
Blog47177
Webmaster
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Blog47177 »

Here is Cal Newport doing a segment on Tumblr.
princemaggots
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/it

Post by princemaggots »

Yeah, the livestreams can at least be turned off but the replacing of my profile with tumblrmart was ridiculous -_- I have endless scrolling turned off on the web but since I can't on my phone, having my profile in another tab whenever I want to edit tags was so much easier since I wasn't worried about losing my place as much. I hope that they end up changing it back due to user response or at least add an option to move it. -_-
catra wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:19 pm damn ive spent hours on tumblr today and havent gotten that update yet, i was already a newbie trying to adjust and sorta getting the hang of it but now itll be hard again smh. at least if they do all of that stuff i hope theyll add a sort of filter? cus i dont want to scroll and suddenly land on livestreams
The livestream replaces the search option so that's how you'll run into it if your app updates. It can be toggled in settings -> general settings -> dashboard preferences -> snooze tumblr live. While you're there, I'd suggest also turning off "enable swiping through dashboard tabs" (if you have an issue with accidentally switching like I do), best stuff first, (removing it makes your feed chronological) "include stuff in your orbit", and "include based off your likes!" (if you want a pure "following" feed only, tumblr's algorithm is very bad imo so highly recommended)
realachao
Reactions:

Post by realachao »

I've been slowly losing interest in Tumblr these days anyway because it feels like everyone is just also angry or mean there too and I just can't get away from negative energy online lol, I feel like the userbase has just gradually become more rude and doesn't know how to talk to human beings (I guess that's the case with most social media sites and they're designed that way on purpose). But yeah the new changes are really uncool, I hate any move to have videos or "reels" or whatever the shit is on any app, especially if it becomes a focus of the app. Also, messing with the profile tab really messes with so many people's muscle memory, and it feels deliberate.
I do try to remember that there are a lot of people who work at Tumblr who definitely DON'T want these changes but are under too much pressure from higher ups or don't have the power to push back against those changes. It really sucks, I've been on Tumblr since 2011, and it used to be my favorite place to post my art, but it feels very...idk, shitty now.
catra
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by catra »

princemaggots wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:49 pm Yeah, the livestreams can at least be turned off but the replacing of my profile with tumblrmart was ridiculous -_- I have endless scrolling turned off on the web but since I can't on my phone, having my profile in another tab whenever I want to edit tags was so much easier since I wasn't worried about losing my place as much. I hope that they end up changing it back due to user response or at least add an option to move it. -_-
catra wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:19 pm damn ive spent hours on tumblr today and havent gotten that update yet, i was already a newbie trying to adjust and sorta getting the hang of it but now itll be hard again smh. at least if they do all of that stuff i hope theyll add a sort of filter? cus i dont want to scroll and suddenly land on livestreams
The livestream replaces the search option so that's how you'll run into it if your app updates. It can be toggled in settings -> general settings -> dashboard preferences -> snooze tumblr live. While you're there, I'd suggest also turning off "enable swiping through dashboard tabs" (if you have an issue with accidentally switching like I do), best stuff first, (removing it makes your feed chronological) "include stuff in your orbit", and "include based off your likes!" (if you want a pure "following" feed only, tumblr's algorithm is very bad imo so highly recommended)
woah these are great tips :0 thank u
i got a warning for my old signature so im a cool kid now 8)
Mantis Orientalis
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Mantis Orientalis »

I'm absolutely fucking tired of the tiktok-ifying of apps. I don't even use then mainly and it still pisses me off. People think the "this ___ boring ahhh hell " *watches family guy while doing task* meme is funny but i find it legit horrifying that this is how media is consumed en masse now. this "reel" style of content is pig slop for your poor desperate brain. I know this is not new info I just wanted to say it

galat
Reactions:
Pronouns: Any

Post by galat »

The new updates are really annoying. On pc its not as bad, but I cant stand them moving the account button to put their dumb store there. I cant fathom why they thought tumblr live is a good idea when they have such a rampant bot issue lol. Another weird thing is that the explore button on PC is now.. not the for you/explore.. its staff updates or something.
I use tumblr as an art blog and to look at others blogs, not some snapchat news/buzzfeed lite shit. Theyve ignored actual issues on the platform to tiktok-ify it. I'd rather they do something abt the dozens of bots that keep following than tumblr livestreams..
ive also heard theyve replaced (or will?) the photoviewer with the live one which limits accessibility and zoom-in.
☆ -ˏˋ. NEKROMANT ON NEOCITIES ˊˎ-☆

Twilight Fallen
Reactions:
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Twilight Fallen »

I think we, as Tumblr users, should collectively bully the Tumblr staff in order to have what we really want. Like giving extremely negative reviews on App Store or Play Store, actively complain on the app how the atualization just fcked everything. Maybe they will stop with this bullsht.
rubber cat
Reactions:

Post by rubber cat »

the fact you can only "snooze" tumblr live for 7 days instead of permanently disabling it is so aggressively user hostile
forks
Reactions:
Pronouns: they/them

Post by forks »

this is why i almost never use tumblr mobile. i love tumblr, i really do. it linked me with some of my closest internet friends and is home to some really talented people, so i could never see myself not using it. at this point, it's just a browser-only social media because of how much xKit is needed in order to make the site enjoyable like it once was
RogerMexico
Websurfer
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by RogerMexico »

I definitely just use the web version on my phone.
kazewa
Reactions:

Post by kazewa »

realachao wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:58 pm I've been slowly losing interest in Tumblr these days anyway because it feels like everyone is just also angry or mean there too and I just can't get away from negative energy online lol, I feel like the userbase has just gradually become more rude and doesn't know how to talk to human beings
Funny because I feel the opposite. People on Tumblr are way more tolerable now than they were, say, before covid, when I straight up had to stop using the site because of all the, well, bullying that was going on. (The acephobia madness, yknow.)
Twilight Fallen wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:07 pm I think we, as Tumblr users, should collectively bully the Tumblr staff in order to have what we really want. Like giving extremely negative reviews on App Store or Play Store, actively complain on the app how the atualization just fcked everything. Maybe they will stop with this bullsht.
It seems that there are workers at Tumblr who understand very well what Tumblr users want, but it's the higher ups who just won't listen. At least based on an article I read earlier.
AstroWildcat
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: she/her

Post by AstroWildcat »

Agreeing with everyone in this thread, Tumblr mobile is fucking awful. The livestream implementation was a massive mistake. Why did they put the merch store next to the search button? At least the moved the blogs section back to the bottom bar...
Also, does anyone else experience that weird glitch where you're going through someone's blog and then the app will jump back up several thousand posts? It makes using the app borderline unusable for me.
OppositeKeith
Webmaster
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/him

Post by OppositeKeith »

i use tumblr for a perusing music career im setting myself up for and i just find it tiring when a trend affects pretty much most of what i was originally going for when joining that social media in the first place. i just hope if this happens to an app i use it doesn't apply to the pc verison.