AI; death of the internet

Talk about the past, present and future of the internet.
mrwillhorlen
Banned
Reactions:

AI; death of the internet

Post by mrwillhorlen »

Now I'm not trying to be sensational or something, but I've had an epiphany about AI technologies getting better as time progresses. At this rate we will see a torrent of generated contents flooding the web and it would be very difficult to tell whether or not one is talking to a real person or a bot. Many contents we see will most likely be generated by advanced statistical machiness (for that's what AI actually is). This in turn will eventually deter people from publishing real content and make the dead internet theory a fact.
tsvety
Reactions:

Re: AI; death of the internet

Post by tsvety »

It seems to me that this is predicated on the internet being *as is* (which I think is rather unsustainable anyhow for many reasons besides). Dead internet theory usually points towards megawebsites in my experience, like r*dd*t, tw*tt*r, fb, and others where it is very easy to make content that will be seen by other people. I think that AI/NN generated content will show up in these places as well as your usual SEO spam blog.

The counter to this which may be a perfect counter even is the indie-web or personal web. Personal and/or small websites that are shared and connected to by webs of trust, webrings, real personal connects. A smaller and more curated web. Closer to a library I suppose.

Of course it will get worse before it gets better and perhaps that is a good thing. Shock people into action! Lets see how bad it can possibly get.
mrwillhorlen
Banned
Reactions:

Post by mrwillhorlen »

tsvety wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:24 am The counter to this which may be a perfect counter even is the indie-web or personal web. Personal and/or small websites that are shared and connected to by webs of trust, webrings, real personal connects. A smaller and more curated web. Closer to a library I suppose.
That's the entire purpose of YW.
nightwolf334
Websurfer
Reactions:

Post by nightwolf334 »

tsvety wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:24 am The counter to this which may be a perfect counter even is the indie-web or personal web. Personal and/or small websites that are shared and connected to by webs of trust, webrings, real personal connects. A smaller and more curated web. Closer to a library I suppose.
Sorry, what's stopping AI from generating sites that mimic this? How would you tell an AI generated site apart from an organic one?

Anyway... I agree that AI poses an existential threat to the internet. The amount of convincing disinformation that it could create is a toxic cesspit that I don't even want to imagine. The internet in its current state already devastates people's emotional and mental states with bad faith actors, imagine with the power of AI behind them.
Rynn
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: Any

Post by Rynn »

The problem with this theory is that the current crop of advanced AI utilizes the internet to train it and requires it to function. If the internet starts getting seeded by numerous AI-generated sites, the recursive effect would likely wreck AI functionality.
[Vultr Hosting] ($100 credit referral link)
[Gemini Protocol]
yequari
Websurfer
Reactions:

Post by yequari »

---
Last edited by yequari on Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cobra!
Webmaster
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/They

Post by Cobra! »

Valeria22 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:14 pm I wouldn't be surprised if AI takes over spam like content, because that seams to be the best option to use it for. I still think personal sites will still live on, albeit with now having to deal with SEO spam further burying their sites deeper in search engine results.
I think that’s already happening. I’ve seen videos that looked like they were made by bots. There are channels that keep posting Reddit threads from r/askreddit and some of the answers they pick seem irrelevant, and sometimes the text and the robot voice are completely out of sync. There are many channels that do exactly this, and don’t differ in style or presentation at all. Just look up any big subreddit name on Youtube and you’ll see loads of them.

MoistKr1tical recently covered a channel that posts like 20 videos a day and all they do is grab random threads on Stack Exchange and have a text to speech read them out, probably using the same tech as those channels that take from Reddit.
MysticalComp
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by MysticalComp »

Hey!

Maggie Appleton has two small essays that kinda talk about it, and I think they are worth checking out!!! Both of them talk about how mainstream social networks are being flooded with more and more ~lifeless content~.

The first one was published 3 years ago, and the second one was kind of an update on this concept with the current LLMs in mind.
Blog47177
Webmaster
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Blog47177 »

mrwillhorlen wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:14 am Now I'm not trying to be sensational or something, but I've had an epiphany about AI technologies getting better as time progresses. At this rate we will see a torrent of generated contents flooding the web and it would be very difficult to tell whether or not one is talking to a real person or a bot. Many contents we see will most likely be generated by advanced statistical machiness (for that's what AI actually is). This in turn will eventually deter people from publishing real content and make the dead internet theory a fact.
We will fight this but that will take some time to find out. So far AI is in the hype phase. The best we can do is get a few more people to get out of big tech for a few other places like neocities, space hey, friend project, multiverse plus, Wiby.me, curlie.org and the fediverse and get more people out of big platforms.