Browser-based game engines?

Talk about your website ideas, web design, coding, software and hardware.
swifty
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/they

Browser-based game engines?

Post by swifty »

hi!

i was considering lately that i want my site to be more interactive, and i think it'd be really fun to be able to have html, javascript, or some other format of game engine. i know of bitsy, and i know godot can also do some things in browser (?), but i want to expand my knowledge re: what kind of 'games' would be realistic to create.

my main concepts would be:

- an rpgmaker type format - walk around, interact, gather items, etc.

- an incremental game, akin to kittens game or a dark room. (or cookie clicker, i guess.)

- game where you can drag things around.

- a dressup game that lets you dress up a base, but that doesnt require exclusively drag-and-drop capabilities (maybe using on-screen arrow keys to pick elements, like markings, clothing, color...)

if anyone has good ideas where to go with these, please drop a reply!! thanks!
inbtwn
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/they

Re: Browser-based game engines?

Post by inbtwn »

i know GDevelop has a web export option (in fact, it can even be used inside the browser too). it's a nice no-code-required game engine, which is great for beginners!

also this isn't quite what you're looking for but narrat is good for making disco-elysium-likes

there's also phaser and raylib if you're looking for something a bit more advanced and flexible. this is probably what you want, thinking about it more

hope this helps!!
yequari
Websurfer
Reactions:

Post by yequari »

---
Last edited by yequari on Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cobra!
Webmaster
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/They

Post by Cobra! »

Godot Engine has a web exporter, and I think it’s an excellent engine. (They just released 4.0 stable today, actually!)

If you want to be authentically old web, I’ve discovered Flixel for Flash games, and you can run it by loading Ruffle onto your page.
RogerMexico
Websurfer
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by RogerMexico »

If you're looking to develop for the web natively, you can take a look at pixijs and melonjs.

Each of your game ideas could be handled with a bit of know-how and elbow-grease by either one, or in Godot or what have you.