flexbox issue cus my brain isnt flexible

Talk about your website ideas, web design, coding, software and hardware.
catra
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: she/they

flexbox issue cus my brain isnt flexible

Post by catra »

hi again. some great users suggested for me to learn flexbox cus my whole site was a lil wonky :roll: oops. and some days ago i ran into a problem n ive been trying to solve it without luck

so i got everything into boxes, the issue i have is my poll (specifically .container2) that i want to be up besides the main text (which is .container), i tried to adjust the width but even when theres plenty of space the poll wont move up next to the text but stays under it, then i tried to change the flex-direction of the .dashboard but its not doing anything good, and then i tried to use the developer tools thingy where u can click and select certain css parts on and off but despite what i did nothing happened? so i feel like ive overseen something, like in the sense that what i want to happen i havent written in my css cus i dont know the code, idk what controls the children within the dashboard?

Last edited by catra on Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i got a warning for my old signature so im a cool kid now 8)
RogerMexico
Websurfer
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: flexbox issue cus my brain isnt flexible

Post by RogerMexico »

It looks like you've gotten the HTML into a little bit of a pickle:

When you're using flexbox for the first time, try to keep the parent/children relatively clean. It can get pretty rough to think about pretty quickly.
catra
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: she/they

Post by catra »

RogerMexico wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:14 pm It looks like you've gotten the HTML into a little bit of a pickle:

When you're using flexbox for the first time, try to keep the parent/children relatively clean. It can get pretty rough to think about pretty quickly.
oh damn, what do u mean clean? like not too much width/height fickle n stuff?
i got a warning for my old signature so im a cool kid now 8)
RogerMexico
Websurfer
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by RogerMexico »

catra wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:23 pm
RogerMexico wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:14 pm It looks like you've gotten the HTML into a little bit of a pickle:

oh damn, what do u mean clean? like not too much width/height fickle n stuff?
Sure, when I say clean I mean two things:

One, keep the HTML and CSS simple with a minimum of nesting when laying out the page structure. When I’m building a layout I like to to have just the bare minimum of HTML and CSS to get the basic page layout set up. Then I slowly start sprinkling the fickle stuff in after.

Two, I noticed looking at your code, your line indentation is a little bit sloppy. That’s super common for beginners, but it can make it difficult to really see when things are accidentally nested or if HTML tags are closed appropriately. I think you could make debugging easier for yourself moving forward if you can get a handle on your indentation.