should a four-day school week be enacted?

Talk about anything in general here.
mrwillhorlen
Banned
Reactions:

should a four-day school week be enacted?

Post by mrwillhorlen »

i'd also suggest adjusting it so the extra day off school is in monday, so adults (except teachers obviously) will work from monday to thursday, while students go at from tuesday to friday. on friday the adults will get a day off while students go to school/college and conversely the students will get a day off while the adults are off to work. and yes, if they have very young children they can (and probably should) bring them over to work while the older children will train to live independently
RogerMexico
Websurfer
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: should a four-day school week be enacted?

Post by RogerMexico »

Yeah, probably. 4/10 are demonstrably healthier mentally than 5/8, although not entirely sure that's the case for learning as much as it is for working?

I think you'd probably be better off having the schedules in sync?
Rynn
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: Any

Post by Rynn »

I'd vote for leaving it at five days but making the days slightly shorter by starting later. There's quite a bit of research that children and especially teenagers really need the later mornings for optimal development.

However, that's really only a small symptom of the much larger problem that the entire education system needs to be re-calibrated. The current school system is a relic from a period that designed it to pump out mindless factory-type worker drones that just doesn't work well for the current era.
[Vultr Hosting] ($100 credit referral link)
[Gemini Protocol]
yequari
Websurfer
Reactions:

Post by yequari »

---
Last edited by yequari on Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerMexico
Websurfer
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by RogerMexico »

yequari wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:23 pm If the same work that gets done in 40 hours gets done in 32 instead it's just as well. Besides 40 is just as arbitrary of a number as 32.
I go with 40 because a 4/10 can be implemented without an overhaul of workers rights to legally identify 32 hours as full time. 4/10 can and is implemented by companies today without much issue, it's not very pie-in-the-sky.

Sure, an argument can, and has, been made for 32 hours. The major tradeoff is you now you have eight fewer hours with which to do work. Some industries will feel that harder than others. Plus, here's a bunch of US law tied to the idea of a 40 hour work week which makes it tougher to implement.
Last edited by RogerMexico on Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lacrymosa
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: she/her

Post by lacrymosa »

i have a four day school week currently and in high school i had a similarish schedule except friday was a half day where the whole school would volunteer at elementary/middle schools or do internships relating to the career they want to go into. i think having that extra day really helps me with getting my work done on top of other tasks i need to do and in high school i figured out that i wanted to teach because of the volunteering. i think it'd be cool if we had 4 days of regular classes and maybe a day or half day where we learn practical skills (basically like bringing home ec back in a way) and eventually do internships/volunteering once you hit a certain grade. not a perfect solution but it'd be a cool thing to try out.
kazewa
Reactions:

Post by kazewa »

For work week, I support either 4-day weeks or 6-hour days (at my work this would be possible in my opinion). School days are not that long though at least not where I live, and I'm not sure how short they could be made. For uni/college level it would probably work as there is more independent studying anyways. Young children should be in kindergartens, not at their parents' workplaces.
GaryStu
Websurfer
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/him

prussian education system bad

Post by GaryStu »

No. I think a zero day school week should be enacted instead.
All my social links are on the home page of my website, just above the webrings.

Image Image