DP Review: Can It's Content be Saved/Can a Clone of this website be made

Talk about the past, present and future of the internet.
OiStepanka
Netizen
Reactions:

DP Review: Can It's Content be Saved/Can a Clone of this website be made

Post by OiStepanka »

Hello,

A deep concern reached my ears today about a website that is one of the staples of the photography community. Digital Photography Review (aka DP Review.) A resource that is Amazon.com owned.. is being shut down and permanently deleted. To many in the photography community, this is akin to shutting down "Photography Wikipedia." That site built up so many wannabe photographers to actual photographers and brought a community together with its own forum. It was a refuge for digital photographers from film photography elitist that thought it as a real medium in the space would never take off (20-30 years later, oh how wrong they were!)

In learning about the internet and that people used to download both whole websites and webpages for offline usage in the past. Can this be done for this website? And specifically.. Does anyone wanna be on a team here to archive that sites resources. Not for profit. But as netizens, for pure website preservation? I felt like this would be the best place to come since there is a deep care for restoring the internet to the way it once was and this site has been around for 25 years. It's a pillar that should not fall because some large corporation doesn't care anymore. It's not fair to the community who no doubt generated their sales for photography equipment over the years.

There is a time limit. The website gets shutdown April 10th, 2023. But The Site becomes Inaccessible April 6th. So since I calculate for timing I'd aim for April 5th to be done. (At least as much content as possible. Perhaps original authors would like to contribute, many are freelancers.)

What would need to be done is the following:

1. The use of a website content downloader such as HTTrack (windows) of SiteSucker (macOS) would have to be used to gather the pages and content: images, videos, etc.

(There are honestly, millions of posts and a whole forum, while I'd be up to the task (albeit I'm not a super professional, id be willing to give it a shot,) that is a lot of posts. Even 5 people would be better than 1.)

2. Storage: I'm going to take a guess that all files on the site could end up being at least 5T (terabytes) (if not more, maybe less, forgive my ignorance.) I think once the main
The are resources such as mega.io which for it's business program offers 3T (terabytes) in cloud storage for $16+
Personally, I'd want to have both cloud and offline storage for safe keeping in case of site issues and the occasional "all too powerful with tech" troll that might like to have "fun."

3. Compilation and test of functionality.
As we know, it's not the original website, but the attempt to at the crux, save information. somethings may not work and for any budding developers, this maybe an opportunity to create features for practice to make it as functional as it used to be. Getting it back online is the goal but as a community project instead of relying on big corp land to back it. This is again, is not for profit. It is a necessity.

4. Legality

There were many people who contributed to the site, I am not versed in law but considering Amazon is giving it up to full on deletion, there should be some permissibility there. Especially non-profit work. It should be protected under creative commons. Anyone who has any feedback on that, feel free to comment.

5. Other Steps TBD:
There might be other steps but this is all I could think of to start with, again comment if anyone has a suggestion.

So yes, it'll take finding a web-host, recompiling the site and is a volunteer project. But I definitely think .. the community will certainly appreciate it.

Here's a video about what one photographer had to say in response to this:

Also here is a link to the website and its Wikipedia page:

https://www.dpreview.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_P ... phy_Review

If anyone is interested just message in the forum and if anyone jumps to the task. Thank You.

(hope it's alright posting this here.)
"Do It Now, Not Later."
Blog47177
Webmaster
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: DP Review: Can It's Content be Saved/Can a Clone of this website be made

Post by Blog47177 »

You can save your content via internet archives Way back machine. That's the best we can do for now unless you have the ability to scrape data from that site.
OiStepanka
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by OiStepanka »

Thanks for your response. I will certainly look into that 🙂
"Do It Now, Not Later."
Ray
Webwalker
Reactions:
Pronouns: They/She

Post by Ray »

Seconding Blog47177, this pretty much sounds like a job for the folks over at https://archive.org/ - but I'm not really sure how doable it is. As far as I remember, the Wayback Machine doesn't really have an option to backup an entire site or forum in one go, which might make it tedious (do still give it a shot, I might be wrong).

Still, I can't help but feel like that's the main hub for finding other people who have the resources and love for archival and preserving stuff on the internet! I don't know if it's possible, but getting in contact with someone working there might be worth it, since this sounds like one of those sites that would be one hell of a shame to lose.

I would honestly also help with your current plan! I don't have issues downloading and storing a little of the site, but my upload speed is so comically slow that it would take literally years to upload it all back to a cloud. :(

EDIT: googling around for this issue, there seem to already be people trying to archive it! Since it's such an important resource a lot of peeps are concerned! you could team up with some of these guys probably as well! :D
Image ImageIf we're not supposed to dance, Why all this music?

Keep in touch: The Web Raft, everyone welcome!
Say hi! ray@emailsnail.net
@plantcreature Telegram
Happy to make friends! <3
OiStepanka
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by OiStepanka »

Thank You Ray for the update.

I've been doing a lot of reading and learning about what is going on and what can be done. I still have some more reading to do but do humbly admit this is a monuments endeavor to the point I'm taken a back. I'm really glad that there are many people trying to archive this website. And Thanks for offering your help. I don't have any updates at this time but if there are. I'll post back. Thanks again!
"Do It Now, Not Later."
OiStepanka
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by OiStepanka »

Update:
Howdy,

So I did tons of reading, learned how to download and install Archive Team's Warrior to back up websites and posts from online. I’ve begun using it to work on other projects and now when the team launches the official DP Review Job I am ready to help with the archiving process!

The other job is backing up the DP Review youtube page which is easier (imo) for folks to wrap their minds around since people download videos all the time. I got Brew for Mac and I’m installing yt-dlp to see if I can download a whole channel (first time trying this so I'll update my findings). Which I welcome anyone to try. As many back ups as possible is a great thing.

So officially, if anyone wants to help. Just follow the instructions @ Archive Team on its wiki page* and download a Warrior and essentially “join the war effort!” and DPoS! i.e.(Distributed Preservation of Service.)

Thanks everyone who initially reached out. We are well on our way to saving this internet resource. 😁

*Also here's the video about the installation of the Warrior if you like to watch steps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nzD-QpmePE

Essentially:
"Do It Now, Not Later."
OiStepanka
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by OiStepanka »

And So It Begins!

Thanks Again Ray for mentioning Archive Team. I am so thrilled to be helping out with this project ^_^

Cop my soundtrack!
"Do It Now, Not Later."
Ray
Webwalker
Reactions:

Post by Ray »

OiStepanka wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:42 am And So It Begins!

Thanks Again Ray for mentioning Archive Team. I am so thrilled to be helping out with this project ^_^

Cop my soundtrack!
This is so amazing!!!!!! :D I'm so glad I was able to nudge you in the right direction!!
Btw, how does this work? Do you need a fast/fast-ish internet connection? Does this require a lot of time/effort? I'd love to help, but am literally unable to be at the pc for most of the day and my internet is snail slow lol! But maybe if it's something that can be left running or where a 10 mins a day contribution could help, I could look into it! :D

@plantcreature Telegram
OiStepanka
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by OiStepanka »

Ray wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:05 am
OiStepanka wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:42 am And So It Begins!

Cop my soundtrack!
This is so amazing!!!!!! :D I'm so glad I was able to nudge you in the right direction!!
Btw, how does this work? Do you need a fast/fast-ish internet connection? Does this require a lot of time/effort? I'd love to help, but am literally unable to be at the pc for most of the day and my internet is snail slow lol! But maybe if it's something that can be left running or where a 10 mins a day contribution could help, I could look into it! :D

IKR! Totally awesome ^_^

For me I have a hotspot on loan from my local library but if you have regular wall internet it should work fine (don't quote me.) Here is some more info about it directly from the Archive Team Wiki that goes more in depth:

https://wiki.archiveteam.org/index.php/ ... am_Warrior

In terms of time, you could totally do it for 10 mins a day, though I'd recommend if you can perhaps 30mins and then you can put the Warrior into a save state. I'm currently using the virtual machine method. But they have another method called a Docker, refer to wiki above.

Good news is that once you set it up. It can run independently as the Archive Warrior was made for anyone who may not be that tech savvy to be able to help! Right now they are still setting up the DPReview job on the site but I'm already to go when they do. Welcome you and anyone else that has time to jump on board!
"Do It Now, Not Later."
Ray
Webwalker
Reactions:

Post by Ray »

OiStepanka wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:02 am IKR! Totally awesome ^_^

For me I have a hotspot on loan from my local library but if you have regular wall internet it should work fine (don't quote me.) Here is some more info about it directly from the Archive Team Wiki that goes more in depth:

https://wiki.archiveteam.org/index.php/ ... am_Warrior

In terms of time, you could totally do it for 10 mins a day, though I'd recommend if you can perhaps 30mins and then you can put the Warrior into a save state. I'm currently using the virtual machine method. But they have another method called a Docker, refer to wiki above.

Good news is that once you set it up. It can run independently as the Archive Warrior was made for anyone who may not be that tech savvy to be able to help! Right now they are still setting up the DPReview job on the site but I'm already to go when they do. Welcome you and anyone else that has time to jump on board!
Ahhh thank you! <3 I will look into it when I have a lil more free time to properly delve into something new! I gotta be honest, when I sent you the Archive's way, I had no idea there was something like this set in place for people to help out. I'm excited!!!

@plantcreature Telegram
OiStepanka
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by OiStepanka »

Ahhh thank you! <3 I will look into it when I have a lil more free time to properly delve into something new! I gotta be honest, when I sent you the Archive's way, I had no idea there was something like this set in place for people to help out. I'm excited!!!
Wow! Then that was a lucky recommendation! Kudos! Yes definitely when you can, check it out! Plus there are so many other projects. It's cool just to be able to contribute to the preservation of the internet. I think in the last few years we have really seen what happens when content isn't backed up or rather in regard to social media, what happens when you do not have a "standalone" platform (like a website or app) you truly own: companies can just get rid of everything and thats no good.

Also, (if you celebrate) Happy Easter!
"Do It Now, Not Later."
OiStepanka
Netizen
Reactions:

Post by OiStepanka »

And the work is getting done ^_^
"Do It Now, Not Later."