What are your thoughts on stuff like Roblox?

Talk about the past, present and future of the internet.
w3lchia
Reactions:
Pronouns: any

What are your thoughts on stuff like Roblox?

Post by w3lchia »

Hi! I'm pretty new to this small web thing, and I'm fairly young and really don't know how things work around here, so yeah. Kind of my first post here

Kids around my age are more into playing games like Roblox, it's pretty popular for some reason. I myself don't really like it that much and never actually played it, I have an account there currently but I'm not really doing much things there, because I'm more scared of people bullying me when i play. What are your thoughts on it, though, and other similar websites/games?
catra
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: she/they

Re: What are your thoughts on stuff like Roblox?

Post by catra »

i love roblox tbh. it allows kids to make their own games within the site, i think its a great outlet for creativity + to support other ppls small game ideas that could eventually turn bigger
i got a warning for my old signature so im a cool kid now 8)
Ray
Webwalker
Reactions:
Pronouns: They/She

Post by Ray »

Roblox in particular I am not a fan of, because of it's scummy business practices. If you have the time and are interested, these video essays are extremely well made and researched, I'd say give them a go! :)

But, this is my beef with roblox as a company, not as a game in a genre or stuff like that. I think games like roblox are super cool when they're not taking advantage of their users, haha! I spent most of my online time as a kid on multiplayer games that had some degree of "user made content" - from full on games like Byond, to maps and scripts and art like Furcadia, or even just level design of maps like Transformice. Those are the games I've always had the most fun with. Granted, I mostly was lucky to find pretty friendly communities, and was able to avoid the trolls and stick with friends. I think had roblox been more popular when I was younger, I might've been into it!

What is it you don't like about games like these? Have you had bad experiences with other users on roblox in the past? :o Like, is bullying a big issue on roblox?
Image ImageIf we're not supposed to dance, Why all this music?

Keep in touch: The Web Raft, everyone welcome!
Say hi! ray@emailsnail.net
@plantcreature Telegram
Happy to make friends! <3
RogerMexico
Websurfer
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by RogerMexico »

I was already an adult when Roblox was released, so I don't have much of an opinion on it.

It seems like an interesting tool for creativity with some less savory business practices.
w3lchia
Reactions:
Pronouns: any

Post by w3lchia »

Ray wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:40 pm Roblox in particular I am not a fan of, because of it's scummy business practices. If you have the time and are interested, these video essays are extremely well made and researched, I'd say give them a go! :)

But, this is my beef with roblox as a company, not as a game in a genre or stuff like that. I think games like roblox are super cool when they're not taking advantage of their users, haha! I spent most of my online time as a kid on multiplayer games that had some degree of "user made content" - from full on games like Byond, to maps and scripts and art like Furcadia, or even just level design of maps like Transformice. Those are the games I've always had the most fun with. Granted, I mostly was lucky to find pretty friendly communities, and was able to avoid the trolls and stick with friends. I think had roblox been more popular when I was younger, I might've been into it!

What is it you don't like about games like these? Have you had bad experiences with other users on roblox in the past? :o Like, is bullying a big issue on roblox?
I feel like i have watched these videos before, but I'll try giving it a go again!
Honestly, it's more of a personal taste thing, although I haven't actually played in it I'm pretty scared that people might bully me there for being new, i know there are nice ppl there but still :/
rekanochi
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/him

Post by rekanochi »

i have a lot of really mixed feelings about roblox, tbh?
on one hand, there are some FANTASTIC hidden gems out there, and there's TONS of games worth your time if you know where to look. but that's sort of the caveat: you need to know where to look. if you're not already tuned into the community, it can be really hard to figure out what games you'd actually enjoy and what games are wastes-of-time-garbage. the lack of a proper tagging system makes this extra difficult, as there's little you can do other than search keywords and hope for the best. and good lord, the search engine is terrible.
but even with all of that said, oh my god, there are some WONDERFUL little experiences out there. i love that it so thoroughly encourages creativity, and that it gets people into making games. that's dope!

buuut... i've played around with the engine a bit myself, and i've heard it described as idiosyncratic, which i think is a good way to put it- it's difficult to transfer learned dev skills from roblox to other engines like unity.
and, look: on the other hand, the company is dogshit. just, completely terrible. those videos that Ray linked are excellent investigations into some of the shadier aspects of the company and how they treat their community. and the unfortunate reality is that toxicity can and will bleed into the games you play.
like, people joke about how often groomers are caught on roblox. and that's for a reason!! moderation is practically non existent.
and because you basically get paid pennies for hours and hours of hard work, the pressure to spend robux on anything and everything is intense. i thought it was bad the way games like club penguin and animal jam pushed for memberships, but with roblox, being a non-paying player is basically not an option. especially if you want to customize how you look, which is a solid 60% of the appeal for a lot of people! the player-made content in the marketplace is simultaneously the best thing ever - i LOVE that you can customize your player model with interchangeable parts like a doll - but also the worst thing ever, because of how much intense pressure there is to buy, buy, buy.
also, content theft is RAMPANT. like, okay, it makes sense, it's all run by kids who don't care about copyright infringement. or people making games for kids who don't care about copyright infringement. but it has the same problem as the app store does: it all kind of turns into bland, similarly-tasteless slop after a while. besides, if you just rip character designs and assets from other games, then your game is ultimately weaker for it. it lacks flavor, it lacks substance! there's no creativity or artistry behind just throwing together a bunch of popular anime characters in a shitty clicker game, you know?

ultimately, i think i have sort of a negative leaning on roblox. i do play it occasionally, and i did in fact give them money (before i knew about how garbage of a company were) but i don't think i'd give it a positive review because frankly, the things it's done can be done far, far better, and in many cases, have.
it's fun to mess around on sometimes with friends, but it's hardly a platform i can take very seriously. when all your character models are doofy looking lego dudes then it's way harder to make anything truly special. plus, the fact that it's predominantly a platform run by younger folks adds a LOT of ethical concerns and just generally makes it a weird place.

all that said, i still play it from time to time. it's fun exploring people's creativity and all the weird stuff that they make! but it's never gonna beat out a polished, """""""""""real"""""""""" game, at least for me.
Image Image Image

severe
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/It

Post by severe »

I personally love roblox for the cutomization aspect but hate it for others- it's such a scummy company, has predatory financial practices, and is generally just bad community-wise, but from a developer standpoint its a starting easy point to make a game if you know what you're doing and not just slapping free assets together. However, roblox is just kinda a step up on how virtual worlds for kids were very financially predatory and still are. I played pretty much every virtual world for kids in my childhood, but I only played Roblox when I had just turned 14- and it was incredibly fun, not even gonna lie. It sucks because you feel bad giving them your money but I really do mostly use it to buy UCG which are items by independent creators, usually teens or young adults.

I have lots of thoughts on virtual worlds in general, and with Roblox I feel like its a good outlet for creativity and there's TONS of hidden gems of game development on there- it's also a fun game to play with friends even if you're all adults. There's also, however, a big grooming and edating problem on a platform geared towards kids- although i think they're gonna start gearing it towards teenagers as of recent news I saw. I would be even more worried on the scummy business practices if I hadn't played games like barbie girls and animal jam in my youth whose communities were even worse- I never really got bullied for being a default avatar in the games I played when I was 14, and when I bought customization items it was just like a bonus for me. I do have flashbacks to being bullied for being a nonmember in more social oriented games like Animal Jam. It's different in which kind of game you play on Roblox though.

Honestly, I do think they should start making roblox more geared towards teenagers rather than children, and put some sort of moderation on buying items for kid accounts. Just better moderation for accounts that aren't 13+ honestly. It would really help the game be taken more seriously as a game development and social platform.

Bonus! here's my roblox avatar :D
brplc
Reactions:

Post by brplc »

Hey! I am also new to the indie/small web thing. I used to play Roblox when I was younger, maybe like 8 to 10 years ago. Used to be really fun. I really enjoyed creating games with Roblox studio even though I wasn't really coding I was just using other people's free models. Good times :roll:.
rekanochi
Reactions:

Post by rekanochi »

severe wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:39 pm Honestly, I do think they should start making roblox more geared towards teenagers rather than children, and put some sort of moderation on buying items for kid accounts. Just better moderation for accounts that aren't 13+ honestly. It would really help the game be taken more seriously as a game development and social platform.

Bonus! here's my roblox avatar :D
HARD AGREE
also i kinda wanna share my roblox avatar too so. i'm doing that
i designed it specifically to scare children and inspire creepypastas xP
Image Image Image

GaryStu
Websurfer
Reactions:

Post by GaryStu »

I'm also an adult who doesn't think much about it. idk, learn a game engine like unity or godot they can't be that much harder and you'll get exploited less. learn to make a minecraft map.

I guess part of the appeal of roblox is getting to design a space that will be used in a massively multiplayer context? another engine can't guarantee that. although only if you get popular, if the people make games videos are accurate.

Also the game is so fucking ugly. It looks so bad. Its awful. It's uglier than intentionally visual soup decade old unity shitpost games. Its uglier than the crustiest second life server. Its not ugly in an aesthetically interesting way either it just looks bad. I don't know how to visuals aren't instantly repulsive to children. This is so petty, sorry, but jesus christ.
All my social links are on the home page of my website, just above the webrings.

Image Image

RogerMexico
Websurfer
Reactions:

Post by RogerMexico »

GaryStu wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:54 pm I'm also an adult who doesn't think much about it. idk, learn a game engine like unity or godot they can't be that much harder and you'll get exploited less. learn to make a minecraft map.

I guess part of the appeal of roblox is getting to design a space that will be used in a massively multiplayer context? another engine can't guarantee that. although only if you get popular, if the people make games videos are accurate.
Well, hold on.

Games with these sorts of modding system are great ways to dip a toe into game design. I spent years of my life designing StarCraft campaigns and Doom maps that never went anywhere. It was pretty important to my personal growth, tbph.

Having a wheel that doesn’t need to be reinvented means you can concentrate on the important parts of your game ideas.
GaryStu
Websurfer
Reactions:

Post by GaryStu »

RogerMexico wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:45 am
GaryStu wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:54 pm I'm also an adult who doesn't think much about it. idk, learn a game engine like unity or godot they can't be that much harder and you'll get exploited less. learn to make a minecraft map.

Well, hold on.

Games with these sorts of modding system are great ways to dip a toe into game design. I spent years of my life designing StarCraft campaigns and Doom maps that never went anywhere. It was pretty important to my personal growth, tbph.

Having a wheel that doesn’t need to be reinvented means you can concentrate on the important parts of your game ideas.
Modding scenes are great, but watch the PMG videos. Roblox isn't a modding scene, its a business which is exploiting user generated content.

Yeah I think games modding is cool, and kids should make game mods.

God, I was just slightly too young to be a part of the 90s "kids who modded M-rated FPS games" community. Sounds like a wild place though. Those were the best choice for making 3D spaces for a long time, its an interesting scene. I got into games modding with The Sims 2.
All my social links are on the home page of my website, just above the webrings.

Image Image

Calypso
Reactions:
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Calypso »

hello there, and welcome to the community!

I really liked Roblox when I was younger, and part of the reason why I don't play it a lot nowadays is largely because I've grown out of it tbh. But these days, games are pretty polarized between either being really good and creative or really bad with the updated dev tools. A lot of games on the front page nowadays rely too heavily on their GUI (user interfaces, basically the cool looking logos and buttons you can press) and not the gameplay. But a lot of games on there are still really creative in terms of gameplay (I played a hiking game last year!). Updates have also made the graphics look a lot worse in my opinion, the player models are just ugly and don't have the same charm that they did back then.

The community also skews much younger than it did back then so it's hard to have a cohesive community. The community back then also had its problems but it felt like every niche was doing its own thing.

I'm a fan of Roblox's user-generated content. I'm not too sure about the shady stuff happening between the company and developers because I was never in the developer space myself or well-versed on it. But Roblox was a very cool place for me years ago, and I especially loved the roleplaying games (like being a barista at a fake Dunkin Donuts, etc).
*in the courtroom* they just hate to see a girlboss winning your honor
Laz1985
Reactions:

Post by Laz1985 »

Roblox is...a complicated topic. From what I understand, it's similar to Minecraft or Little Big Planet in that you create your own character and game worlds for others to use. That aspect of things is nice. I've played Minecraft and LBP and enjoyed creating my own world and playing other peoples' worlds. But the difference is this: Minecraft only sells stuff on the Minecraft Marketplace (Bedrock) that was made by adults; a lot of mods by both minors and adults can be found for free on the Internet. LBP worlds were always free, requiring only that you had access to online play on your PS3.

And that's the part that bothers me. In Roblox, little kids' creations can be sold for "Robucks" that you buy with real-world money. That sounds like a possible violation of child-labor laws (because Roblox is making money from kids' work), AND a way to take money from children in the form of Robucks purchases, at the same time.

I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
OppositeKeith
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by OppositeKeith »

i dont play it but my sister makes me play some games with her on it. its an okay game to play around for shits and giggles. i dont trust the company behind it at all but my distrust with the company can only go so far when criticizing the actual game itself since its a platform anybody can make a game out of.
Uneuclid
Reactions:

Post by Uneuclid »

Been playing for 10 years and its been a ride for sure, its sad to see them become more coroporate and try to like, make it a "metaverse". I still love it tho and its still a very near and dear game to my heart and while I hate what it's become I'm glad kids today can enjoy what I did when i was little. I also hate korblox and headless horseman users they look annoying.

anyways my current avatar