People who went to live @ college; how did you decide what to bring?

Talk about anything in general here.
youngsterj4y
Websurfer
Reactions:
Pronouns: They/Them

People who went to live @ college; how did you decide what to bring?

Post by youngsterj4y »

I'm just curious. I'm going to college soon, I have 3 dormmates (one of which is my partner, so that's easy) and a solidly large dorm space, perfect for decorating!

I have an absolutely obscene amount of stuffed animals, anime figures, video game memorabilia etc etc. One of my friends who went to a (different) college brought almost none of these things; but I feel like I need need to bring some of it! I love these things! They bring me so much joy!

How do you decide what to bring as far as personal items go, and what to leave? I'm gonna have some room to decorate, but obviously I won't have as many shelves and such as I do at home!

(for some context on the scope I'm talking. here's an (admittedly out-of-date!) image of my Pokemon Plush Pile):
Image"You're telling me these rats are all transgender?!"
Veezle
Websurfer
Reactions:

Re: People who went to live @ college; how did you decide what to bring?

Post by Veezle »

holy moly that's a lot of plushes

but personally when I went to college I just brought what I deemed as essential (that I used frequently, like my computer) and stuff I considered most important to me. Hopefully unlike me you don't have to live with the fear of your parents and that they will disregard your belongings when gone, and if you don't just leave most of the stuff at their place (or wherever you currently live) and they will be there for you when you get a place to yourself with more room at some point.
No longer on Yesterweb.
youngsterj4y
Websurfer
Reactions:
Pronouns: They/Them

Post by youngsterj4y »

Veezle wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:00 pm holy moly that's a lot of plushes

but personally when I went to college I just brought what I deemed as essential (that I used frequently, like my computer) and stuff I considered most important to me.

thank you the pile is my pride and joy<3

Trying to decide between most important is the part that really I struggle with. Like, I can pick out one or two plushies that are my Favorite, but then it's like... I don't want to not bring something because I deem it unimportant in the moment but then regret it later. Getting my parents to ship me stuff is going to be like pulling teeth, and the dorm is 3 hours away. I think I'm just too indecisive.
Image"You're telling me these rats are all transgender?!"
Veezle
Websurfer
Reactions:

Post by Veezle »

youngsterj4y wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:12 pm thank you the pile is my pride and joy<3

Trying to decide between most important is the part that really I struggle with. Like, I can pick out one or two plushies that are my Favorite, but then it's like... I don't want to not bring something because I deem it unimportant in the moment but then regret it later. Getting my parents to ship me stuff is going to be like pulling teeth, and the dorm is 3 hours away. I think I'm just too indecisive.
Ah I know what you feel. I moved to a whole different state a couple years ago and there was only so much I could bring with me. I miss my lovely old CRT television :cry:
No longer on Yesterweb.
lain
Reactions:
Pronouns: they/he

Post by lain »

for a dorm room i would recommend only bringing one or two smaller size plushies since you aren't really going to have anywhere to put them except for on your bed and maybe on your desk; using posters and prints and stuff is probably a better way to show your love for these things than trying to wrestle with your limited amount of space to get your plushies to fit there!

i don't miss that at all, moving from a dorm to an apartment was so nice.
lain, 21+, they/he
Squid-Died
Websurfer
Reactions:
Pronouns: It/Its

Post by Squid-Died »

oh man thats quite a collection XD my younger self would be so jealous lol

i never got to go live in a dorm, i feel like itd be neat tho. if i got the chance id def take
my fave comics/manga with me, my plants, handhelds, my ditoo, maybe my guitar and my computer and graphics tablet haha

△△△ i made some holographic stickers of this, check it out!!
Melonking
Reactions:

Post by Melonking »

Like the others said, bring the essentials that you need (Do you need cooking utencels? I didn't think to bring those and had to panic buy them when I arrived :surprise:). Bring a few small things that make you feel safe and at home (blankets, lamps, toys etc)

On top of that Id add that college is about moving forwards and becoming someone new. So think about who you wanna become and bring items that make you feel connected to that new life. They don't need to be practical (I brought a lot of art supplies even though I was doing a digital course) its just about constructing the space that you will grow into.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope you have a memorable time!
corvidia
Reactions:
Pronouns: they/them

Post by corvidia »

if your college isn't too far away or you get to go home for breaks, you can always see how much room u will have and go back and get more if your room feels too empty
also don't forget you may get new stuff while there that you might need room for (my roommates are constantly buying each other plushies so much so that they ran out of room LOL)