Outrage Culture Distracts

Discuss the past, present and future of the internet. No drinks near the computers, please!
PonPon//Haxrelm

Outrage Culture Distracts

Post by PonPon//Haxrelm »

I've recently seen discussions about how people are using outrage culture to distract from actual issues in the world. Hell, People have even said that companies are getting in on this to distract people from actual crimes they've committed.

This is a topic I've been curious about. Especially on the internet with social media's promotion of more inflationary attitudes.

What do you guys think?
OppositeKeith
Websurfer

Re: Outrage Culture Distracts

Post by OppositeKeith »

i've never heard of outrage culture before to be honest but by the name of it im not surprised that companies are using it to cover up their tracks too.
PonPon//Haxrelm

Post by PonPon//Haxrelm »

OppositeKeith wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:48 pm i've never heard of outrage culture before to be honest
Basically, people getting mad at a non issue.

For example: Youtube channels bringing up tweets by people who barely have a following saying something negative about an anime and blowing it out of proportion.

But on the company part. A recent example was the M&M redesign (the one that caused a firestorm because they changed a character's shoes) being intentionally made to cover up Mars Candy's crimes.
I now wonder, what other instances of outrage culture was used to cover up tracks
nightwolf334
Netizen

Post by nightwolf334 »

I have always been taught that stupidity and malice look very similar. Outrage culture seems to be the embodiment of this. People genuinely care a lot about dumb things. I don't believe events are as orchestrated as you think - it's more so they just care about ridiculous things. People already live amongst institutions that do bad things every day - Church, government, law enforcement, military, gambling, alcohol lobby, big pharma - the list could go on all day. These bad things usually happen in ways they don't understand. If people don't understand they are not interested. It makes them feel dumb. What they do understand though is what dumb rubbish might be trending on Twitter, so they care about that instead.
yequari
Netizen

Post by yequari »

Outrage culture has always existed in some way. The news would often report on random things to be mad about rather than the things people should be really mad about, but social media and the internet in general has allowed for outrage to be everywhere and often unavoidable.
OppositeKeith
Websurfer

Post by OppositeKeith »

PonPon//Haxrelm wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:28 pm
OppositeKeith wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:48 pm i've never heard of outrage culture before to be honest
Basically, people getting mad at a non issue.

For example: Youtube channels bringing up tweets by people who barely have a following saying something negative about an anime and blowing it out of proportion.

But on the company part. A recent example was the M&M redesign (the one that caused a firestorm because they changed a character's shoes) being intentionally made to cover up Mars Candy's crimes.
I now wonder, what other instances of outrage culture was used to cover up tracks
if thats the case then i just think its not worth my time. ill comment on it but im not angry, its still the same product at the end of the day that ill probably wont buy anyways. while i dont understand the real stakes around the world clearly or with communities im in i at least try to make an attempt to and i find it more important than whatever twitter has going on anyways.