Artists, how do you feel about being open about your inspirations?

Discuss offline life here.
CorruptedUnicorn

Artists, how do you feel about being open about your inspirations?

Post by CorruptedUnicorn »

Nobody creates things in a void, but it seems like some sort of unspoken taboo where artists do not talk about what they inspire them in detail (sometimes you'll get a vague "oh I got inspired by X") maybe in fear that people will think they just copied what "inspires" them. However, I think art gets way more interesting when you know where it came from - I love to learn what makes artists create the things they make.

What are your opinions on this subject? Would you like to be more open about your inspirations, or would you rather let your art speak for yourself?

Oh, by the way, this doesn't necessarily apply to visual arts only :D
Melonking

Re: Artists, how do you feel about being open about your inspirations?

Post by Melonking »

I think there is a certain amount of mystery that art depends on, so there is definitely a fear that sharing too much will spoil that mystery. Often the works Iv made have been inspired by things, but the work is not "about" those things, so I don't want to alter other peoples interpretation of my work by imposing my ideas into their idea of it.

Id also say that the creative process goes in cycles.. sometimes your discovering, then your creating, then your ready to share etc etc. When Im in the discovery phase or the creating phase.. I hardly understand my own influences and ideas, so trying to express those influences and what they mean to me is very incorrect.

When the time comes to share though its super important! I think you've gotta be able to share, and hear what others are sharing in order to grow you're thinking; but it's gotta happen at the right time, when your ready for it.
juette
Websurfer

Post by juette »

i dont mind being open about my inspirations but a lot of the time i dont really know them cause theyre more like. subconscious.
Image Image
nights
Netizen

Post by nights »

art, when you strip away social media and monetary incentives, isn't any sort of competition. i'm not usually the sort of person who likes to be open about any part of my process because it's what i personally prefer, but i'm a human being, not an image. if someone asks a genuine question or wants my help, they most likely want nothing more than to take inspiration from what i'm doing, so why shouldn't i help them to the best of my comfort and ability? the fear of having your "thing" taken away from you seems arbitrary in comparison.
techramancer
Netizen

Post by techramancer »

For me, a lot of my inspiration comes from my brain being like "HEY, YOU KNOW WHAT WOULD BE NICE? THIS UGLY THING" and I get a vague image of what I want to draw or sprite in my head. 3 out of every 2 times, it comes out looking nothing like what my brain had in mind.

Though, for writing, I tend to remember something that I've read or played (if the story was in the form of an RPG) and I'll start fashioning my own version of the story or expanding on certain ideas. Other times, it's a jumping off point to create my own stories that are almost entirely independent, except for taking one or two ideas as story elements (e.g. When I was in high school, for my creative writing class, I wrote a story that started as a fanfic of Dragon Quest 2's world, but eventually turned into its own story, with loose connections to Dragon Quest: monster medallions became an object where the user can summon the monster on the medallion, and the starting location of the story being a secluded island continent in the southeast [i.e. Osterfair] ). I don't often write them down, just usually play them in my head as my own imagination film. Some go on for a long time, others are just a one shot.
Petite Plume

Post by Petite Plume »

I do like the idea of being open about your references and inspirations, but I wouldn't wan't to get much more explicit than "I got inspired by X". I think it's more fun to let your audience draw parallels between your piece of art and the one that inspired you, and try to understand what part of the original work resonated with you, how you incorporated it into your own work, etc.
At least, these are the kind of media discussions I like to read online. If someone says "oh, actually the author said this part is inspired by this part of this other thing", it's kind of a conversation killer.
We're thankful for our Cradle's Graces, but we're not coming back.
Serah
Websurfer

Post by Serah »

I really like inserting an inspirational roadmap into my stuff. Little references to things I love.

Nothing overt, not like lifted dialogue or anything like that. Things like a street being named after an author I love, a couple of notes quoted from a song I love, that kind of thing. Sometimes I'll have characters talking about real-world media and it'll often be media I like though the character's opinions aren't necessarily mine :p
Squid-Died
Websurfer

Post by Squid-Died »

i dont necessarily talk about my inspirations on my own but if people are particularly interested in something i have no problem speaking about it. Personally though when I see something an artist has done and i recognise where the inspiration came from, its feels more immersive to me if i figured it oun on my own. kind of like an easter egg in a movie or something, the art stands on its own regardless of if im aware but its just a cool little thing if im in on it, yanno?

△△△ i made some holographic stickers of this, check it out!!
nightwolf334
Netizen

Post by nightwolf334 »

I don't know if it's taboo as much as it is a magician sharing his tricks type of situation. In music thousands of songs can be played with four chords. Millions more once you learn chord progressions. Knowing this music theory really breaks what you thought was magical and spiritual down to just a simple equation. I can't comment on other types of art like painting, photography or literature, but I can only assume that there is something scientific in the theory that professionals keep close to their chest as to not ruin the magic.
nights
Netizen

Post by nights »

nightwolf334 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:13 am I don't know if it's taboo as much as it is a magician sharing his tricks type of situation. In music thousands of songs can be played with four chords. Millions more once you learn chord progressions. Knowing this music theory really breaks what you thought was magical and spiritual down to just a simple equation. I can't comment on other types of art like painting, photography or literature, but I can only assume that there is something scientific in the theory that professionals keep close to their chest as to not ruin the magic.
i can say that with drawing, it's more of a matter of a large gap between a "beginner" and "expert" mindset. an expert assumes that most people will "understand" something simply by watching them do it and little-no further explanation, and beginners don't understand the process of what that expert is doing, compounding onto the notion of drawing being "too difficult". that's why you have drawing tutorials like that "1. draw the circle, 2. draw the rest of the owl" picture.
Veezle
Websurfer

Post by Veezle »

I personally don't mind sharing what inspires my artwork, it can help garner appreciation for things I like after all, and perhaps gives others ideas of how they can be inspired too by their own interests.
Grafo
Websurfer

Post by Grafo »

I don't mind at all sharing it and also find pretty cool when other people does. It's not just a way to discover how their work came to be but also an excellent way to discover new art
Visit my website! https://grafo.zone/
XMPP: grafo@grafo.zone
少女の口びるに蝶よ止まれ

Post by 少女の口びるに蝶よ止まれ »

I guess this is the first time I heard about such taboo. I can't even fathom not being open about one's own inspirations. Art is inherently and inescapably social.
OppositeKeith
Websurfer

Post by OppositeKeith »

i dont really get the appeal of hiding what inspires you to do art in the first place, like i can understand if you dont wanna if you are nervous about sharing it. its hard to come over it and say what you love to watch or play with people at times but at the same time your inspiration into art has also inspired many others who also wanna do art before as well so the "magic" isnt there for me to begin with when theres a good chance people have the same inspiration as you. i like being open minded and talk about my inspiration even if im not the most clear about it. it brings more people together in a way and is good communication and general fun i mean thats kinda what art and animation is right?
trashguts

Post by trashguts »

i'm not against it, but it's also something that's kind of hard to share even if you want to sometimes haha. a lot of the styles i tend to try and draw in are synthesis of a lot of different media and artists ive admired over the years, and picking out any handful of specific inspirations would be really tough! i can probably go back through and dig up some favorites or recommendations if someone asks, but it's never gonna be a one to one "this piece was specifically inspired by this artist and this movement" or something like that for me. it's just not really how my brain works, i guess!

actually, i'd be more interested if someone else could pick out what kinds of things inspired me haha. it's fairly subconscious on my part, so seeing what media has influenced me enough to be visible to others would be really interesting!
Squid-Died
Websurfer

Post by Squid-Died »

this is maybe a little off topic but theres a common thing in the artist community where you make your own original character/design and show it to a friend and their response is "ah it reminds me of xyz". Although its supposed to be a complement, its common for the artist to find it insulting as if to say "oh you just copied something that already exists" when there was a lot of hard work put into it. I used to feel this way if I heard that and was one of the reasons id avoid sharing my stuff in the first place XD but i find it easier to accept as the complement its supposed to be nowadays bc im more open about sharing my inspirations, now i can just be like "im glad u find it familiar and u can connect with my art on that level". So in my opinion, being open about your influences and inspirations is the mark of an artist who is confident about their decisions in alot of ways.

△△△ i made some holographic stickers of this, check it out!!