talk about your hobbies / special interests

Discuss offline life here.
VeryGoodDog

talk about your hobbies / special interests

Post by VeryGoodDog »

i was looking for a topic about hobbies but didnt find any so im making one :)

ill start
id say i have three hobbies? i love riding bikes, mountain bikes and road alike, (also repairing them) analog photography is pretty cool, i have a darkroom in my closet and a vintage camera collection, i can show pictures later, and i also do a lot of programming. literally if anyone mentions any of these things in a conversation i just immediately start info dumping

anyway tell me about the things that you can talk about for hours
nightwolf334
Netizen

Re: talk about your hobbies / special interests

Post by nightwolf334 »

I find so many things interesting, but I just struggle to find the time for it all.

My primary hobbies are guitar, data hoarding, study and exercise (cycling, squash, and weights). I go through phases of other things like painting miniatures, gaming and hiking, but they are hard things to maintain unless I have large blocks of free time which is rare in my line of work.

Once I get a bit of financial independence together and have my mortgage paid off there is a chance of a career transition into a field I consider a hobby. That is still a few years away though.
theymightbefoxes

Post by theymightbefoxes »

(brief apology for how looooong this is!! really took "tell me about the things that you can talk about for hours" to heart!!!)

its kinda hard for me to talk about the stuff i like because i just like sooo many things & i get way too excited. and also the things i like r just really specific in really weird ways. for a while I got really into Thomas Pynchon, but like, the idea of Thomas Pynchon b/c his wikipedia articles on his books were insane and i didn't realize you could make books Like That. i ended up getting 3 of his books but i've only finished one (Bleeding Edge -- it was alright maybe it flew over my head). i read quite a bit of gravity's rainbow but man... that book is like a fuckin' dense protein bar of entertainment. really really fun read but its also like 700 pages and its like wow 700 pages of THIS? actually in general i was on a "postmodern" / "metamodern" etc book kick b/c their wikipedia articles were interesting, which stemmed from having to do a project on a historical figure and me choosing james joyce because his book Ulysses was compared to homestuck on PBS Idea Channel. the page for Infinite Jest by david foster wallace struck me as particularly interesting b/c of the wacky plot descriptions, it being described as a book whose plot was influenced by Serpinski triangles, the copious amount of endnotes, and it being a really big frickin' book being around 1,104 pages. weird stuff like that book and House of Leaves made me realize woahhh books can be COOL like this?

speaking of homestuck, i read all of homestuck in a like 7 day period where all i did each day was read homestuck and it was insane and as a side effect my self-monologue was in 2nd person for a few hours when i wasnt reading it. i have mixed feelings about it but all of its concepts are really interesting and its not a forgettable experience -- the lore is so dense that I actually think that even the casualest of Homestuck fans will still know way too much knowledge on things like troll romance and whatnot, but i really love and respect just how intricately detailed and messy the whole world and story is

in general theres just something really cool about someone going like "fuck it, im just putting everything i love into one weird sometimes messy stew" which is why i really liked the movie kill bill (random anime sequence??), think no more heroes III is really cool despite only seeing twitch streamer Jerma985 play it (sequences where they talk about Takashi Miike cuz WHY NOT, a consistently inconsistent sense of style that reflects the game's willingness to do Anything), and love how insane the music artist Mr Bungle is (constant genre-busting madness). and of course i gotta shoutout 100 gecs and hyperpop in general

other than that, I tend to try to seek out things that are obscure or underappreciated, although really I just seek out stuff and the stuff I like happens to be either of the two. the youtuber hazel (like (sometimes) hours long video essays on obscure anime??) introduced me to a lotta anime i probably wouldn't have known about otherwise like Tenchi Muyo which was like really popular in its heyday but now no one seems to talk about it! in general im really interested in learning about the lore of the past, like the kinds of details that older generations know about that tends to be lost on newer generations. like, for example since we're on the topic of anime, how the reason anime clubs were formed in the first place was out of necessity b/c anime was hard to come by and these clubs distributed anime for u in VHS tapes and stuff, with fansubs if they were lucky! i find remembering the past to be important to me so i try to absorb any information about it as i can. (i actually specifically bought this book called Anime Essentials: Every Thing a Fan Needs to Know which was released in the year 2000 b/c its such a good time capsule of anime fandom at the time) tbh i get a kick out of someone older being like "how do you know about that??" haha. i imagine its how nardwuar (music interviewer) feels when guests say the same thing

im also kinda interested in the present too, as in constructing a loose mental map of subcultures these days. nothing fancy or involved i dont even think it can count as a hobby its just being like "ok so these kinds of people exist and these kinds of people exist" b/c people are literally always interesting & i like comparing "zoomer" stuff to the past. i hope one day to write a novel or really an anything involving a main character who is a furry, as in is involved in the furry subculture. we need a slice-of-life movie about a furry. we gotta make it happen

other than all that, for more unusual / misc stuff... i was into conlanging for a while but i never had the patience to actually sit down and come up with grammar rules. im still very interested in linguistics though b/c language is so interesting. i really like the new mtn dews oddly enough? major melon etc (im usually not big on soda) something about how sugary they are and the design of the cans is really appealing to me right now-- eye and mouth candy! i also really want to play neon white because this video sold me on it

i'm into the idea of analog photography but i dont have a darkroom! i just love the look of film grain and i also love photography itself. theres something so beautiful about taking a picture of a subject, literally seeing that subject through the photographer's eyes. i think photography also shows great care for the subject that it is photographing, and oftentimes when i see a photograph i just see the love of the person taking the photo. for some reason, digital tends to look cold (though really only with early digital cameras). film grain has this weird characteristic fuzzy sharpness around the edges of the objects it captures, which seems to give more weight to the things being put onto film. i dont know if its because it reminds me it is film (and thus reminds me of how much more involved the process of getting that thing to its final state is) or if its something else but its cool AF.

not to knock digital though digital is cool. i love the way all about lily chou-chou looks despite having never seen it to completion. the director shunji iwai was apparently the first japanese director to use a digital video camera, which wikipedia tells me was the Sony HDW-F900. anyways, early digital has this camcorder look which sorta has that same fuzzy sharpness thing except with its own vibe going on that i cant really get technical on b/c i have no idea the specifics of how cameras work -- but it just feels cold and digital, it has this strange techy gloss which comes out especially when the setting is hazy looking that i imagine is b/c the data is stored in pixels and not film. it complements the movie, which is very much centered around the effects of technology & the internet, about alienated kids who chat on a forum about a fictional singer (with real songs which are sooo good) called lily chou-chou.

i program too!! not all the time and when i have i typically have had no idea what to program. (with the exception of my neocities website which i really want to revamp but have no idea how i want to do so) i have a couple game ideas banging around in my head though, one of which is a visual novel where u act as a robot with preset phrases in a cafe where lonely people or people who just wanna talk come sit and chat. and like they sometimes come with heavy stuff and all u can do is say one of ur stock phrases like "I'm sorry to hear that" haha

for video games i'm most proficient in Love2D using Lua. i've tried going to other stuff like Unity and Godot but i dont really understand the way those are structured & while im not terrible with MonoGame in C# i still have much to learn and its a lot easier to just use what im familiar with. ive considered using SDL with C++ b/c something about the syntax of C++ really jives with my brain and i love the idea of having essentially Complete Control over the display of graphics but like... i'm not sure i'm going to have enough motivation to actually build a game from scratch with SDL (i've already tried before!)

i like making music! i'm really good at the piano and really OK at the other instruments (guitar, drums, bass). i have a trombone but wow the learning curve for this puppy is much harder than the other instruments ive gotten into. made around 6 or so electronic music albums in 2017 but im really only proud of one of them, the rest were kind of rushed but had some ideas. in 2018 i made an "lo-fi indie rock" album (was on a big car seat headrest kick) on a Tascam 788 that will NEVER see the light of day. the ideas were good and i'll definitely re-record some of the songs on it but i did not play to a metronome so while it was all sorta on time it was annoyingly sloppy and i dont like my voice on it either. one of the songs is called "take off my collar" and its literally about the comic zistopia, an alternate universe zootopia where its a dystopia haha (i was super into zootopia at the time). the collar refers to the shock collars predators r forced to wear b/c they are Bad :(

havent made an album since but im trying! i got a bunch of demos, though i'm not sure whether to just do an acoustic album just to get songs out there or do some production. ive had a lot of ideas for albums that excite me like a goth pop album with long droning doom metal esque songs or a psychedelic rock album like king gizzard which sorta makes it hard to just focus on one mood for one album. a problem i have is that i have a lot of material but i dont know if it all works together as an album -- maybe i have to mentally decouple the songs from their previous musical inspirations?

anyways yeah sorry this is kind of long! i could go on further but like i gotta stop at some point haha
Anywhere can be heaven if you choose to live.
VeryGoodDog

Post by VeryGoodDog »

theymightbefoxes wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:39 am (brief apology for how looooong this is!! really took "tell me about the things that you can talk about for hours" to heart!!!)
oh my god this is so good you are so cool thank you
i love c# so much its so good
Petite Plume

Post by Petite Plume »

My biggest special interest ever was Homestuck. It was all I could think about, every day, for months. I'm not that into it anymore, but I've been enjoying the occasion to revisit it with a more contemporary and critical approach with Ranged Touch's Homestuck Made This World podcast. Highly recommend to old fans whose views have maybe shifted since.

I'm a general anime and video games enthusiast. I enjoy reading too. These past few years I've taken an interest to sci-fi, a genre I used to completely overlook. So now there's tons of old and new material for me to enjoy!
I started to really enjoy mecha anime too, thanks to being exposed to Heaven Will Be Mine (oh, looks like it's on sale!) and COUNTER/weight in a short time.

This brings me to Friends at the Table, "an actual play podcast about critical worldbuilding, smart characterization, and fun interaction between good friends". The way they're commited to co-authoring thoughtful stories together has inspired many people to make their own TTRPGs or actual play podcasts, and that's given me a theoretical interest in TTRPG as well, though I rarely get a chance to play.
Listening to them has had a HUGE impact on the way I engage with fiction, which, as you might have guessed from the rest of this post, is a pretty important aspect of my life.

I also like to draw. At the moment the best place to see my stuff is my instagram.
We're thankful for our Cradle's Graces, but we're not coming back.
monsterrobotics

Post by monsterrobotics »

The basic stuff is video games, art, writing. I just love making things though, which is why I like making websites, I think. The other day I totally asked my partner if I could design a website for them, because I had found a neocities site dedicated to their favorite childhood game. It's fun! It's also why my career goals are just anything to do with organization.

However, less vague choices are that I'm getting into embroidery and I have a ton of ideas I need to prepare sometime haha. I also got a 3D printer for my birthday, and plan to make jewelry with it. I fell in love with 3d printing (and laser cutting but that's less accessible) during a class about digital art.

I also love etymology which is the study of history of words. Sometimes I look at something and go, I wonder how we got here... Why do people use certain words; why do they mean certain things? I want to have a page on my site talking about it, and eventually the goal is to make some sort of blog writing about words. They're so cool! It's why I chose to learn Latin for my language credit in University. I was the only one there with that reasoning for taking it...
currently always working on my website, thinking about how to make it home...
Serah
Websurfer

Post by Serah »

The big one is music which I fell back in love with in a big way once it stopped being one of my jobs. I play a whole bunch of instruments but I mostly play guitar, keys/synths, bass, drums, and sing. A lot of the music I make is virtual orchestra soundtrack sorta stuff but I love making ambient, jungle/D&B, punk, and metal too.
Sometimes I think about going back into academia for my master's so I can go into the study and restoration of ancient music - figuring out the meaning of the notation left behind by some of the earliest cultures in human history, recreating old pieces of popular music we only have fragments of, that kind of thing.

Tabletop RPGs are the other major one. I own over 60 systems physically and way more digitally and have actually run almost all of them at one point or another! My favourite systems are Mythras, FATE, and GURPS. I'm not terribly keen on most editions of Dungeons and Dragons but I enjoy some related games like Dungeon Crawl Classics and I find D&D's history fascinating. Did you know there are way more than just five editions?

I'm also really into hiking and astro-photography but I haven't had a whole lot of time to dedicate to this lately :(

Video games are another kinda big one. Another thing I regained my passion for after it stopped being work. I like making games and I'm super interested in video game history and preservation, especially the history of gaming cultures outside of the major ones in Europe, NA, and Japan. You should check some 90s Chinese and Korean DOS RPGs sometime, some of them were fantastic and a few even have fan translations!

I also read and write a lot of fiction and poetry. It's much less scattershot than my forum posts tend to be :p It's much easier to organise and collect my thoughts in that context for whatever reason.
VeryGoodDog

Post by VeryGoodDog »

monsterrobotics wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:33 pm The other day I totally asked my partner if I could design a website for them, because I had found a neocities site dedicated to their favorite childhood game. It's fun!
aww thats adorable :0 i hope u share the link here when you finish
swifty

Post by swifty »

i have quite a few!! though they cycle fairly frequently...

- environment design!

i love making areas. lol. i think i've been into natural scenery especially due to growing up as the child of a landscaper who would take me and my sister out to the forest and the mountains a lot. i became really intrigued with how things clump together and grow in crevices outward to reclaim large swathes of land.

that, and i've always felt a profound peace looking up through the tree boughs... something about the sound of leaves in the wind soothes my soul. so i always try to capture that when i portray it in my artwork.

- cats and cat genetics!

this is a side effect of being a warrior cats kid. i got really into what they call "traditional" naming (which was just a system of warrior cat naming that had some internal logic to it, giving the setting some depth), and that was my launching point towards this.

i got really into cat genetics for a while because of it (and moderated / participated in a couple realistic warrior cat sim-type things on deviantart), which has caused me to like... know a lot more about how cats work.

well, that, and i love knowing 'cat language'. i seem to make easy friends with any particular cat because of it. it's really neat to be able to figure out little things from how my cat acts towards me.

i'm sure there are other things, but these two are some of the more prominent ones.
sixeyes
Websurfer

Post by sixeyes »

theymightbefoxes wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:39 am [...]

its kinda hard for me to talk about the stuff i like because i just like sooo many things & i get way too excited. and also the things i like r just really specific in really weird ways. for a while I got really into Thomas Pynchon, but like, the idea of Thomas Pynchon b/c his wikipedia articles on his books were insane and i didn't realize you could make books Like That. i ended up getting 3 of his books but i've only finished one (Bleeding Edge -- it was alright maybe it flew over my head). i read quite a bit of gravity's rainbow but man... that book is like a fuckin' dense protein bar of entertainment. really really fun read but its also like 700 pages and its like wow 700 pages of THIS? actually in general i was on a "postmodern" / "metamodern" etc book kick b/c their wikipedia articles were interesting, which stemmed from having to do a project on a historical figure and me choosing james joyce because his book Ulysses was compared to homestuck on PBS Idea Channel. the page for Infinite Jest by david foster wallace struck me as particularly interesting b/c of the wacky plot descriptions, it being described as a book whose plot was influenced by Serpinski triangles, the copious amount of endnotes, and it being a really big frickin' book being around 1,104 pages. weird stuff like that book and House of Leaves made me realize woahhh books can be COOL like this?

[...]
oh wow, i've been on the same wikipedia binge lol. didn't finish gravitys rainbow either, but holy moly. a bit annoying where i latch on to a place or a character, like "whoa this is cool" and then five pages later it's all morphed sideways into something completely different. but, english isn't my first language, so there was a constant notion of things probably being references i didn't get (like, probably all names?). not sure with works like this if translations can be said to be the same book.

i read house of leaves as a kid, been meaning to reread it for years now, i recall having to hold it up to a mirror to read footnotes going backwards through the pages... and thinking about johnny truant after i got my first panic attack, like oooooh. good stuff.

currently struggling with Dhalgren, which is amazing. the story seems kind of normal on the surface of it, but scars from an injury to one character on one page will then turn up on another character a bit later... the geography is altered... something that's been around for a while is suddenly found for the first time... i've a suspicion that the MC is maybe writing the book itself as it progresses, or something to that effect. there is this constant sense of mystery, some kind of tension, something weird is up but you only see the surface of it. (also the book starts in the middle of a sentence iirc which probably means something also).

its' a bit strange though, every time i pick it up to read it feels like nothing is happening, like it's just leading up to something but we never get there... but then even weeks later i find myself thinking about the passages, the places, the town. like daaaamn the book is cool. just not when reading it, lol!
swifty wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:34 pm [...]

- environment design!

i love making areas. lol. i think i've been into natural scenery especially due to growing up as the child of a landscaper who would take me and my sister out to the forest and the mountains a lot. i became really intrigued with how things clump together and grow in crevices outward to reclaim large swathes of land.

that, and i've always felt a profound peace looking up through the tree boughs... something about the sound of leaves in the wind soothes my soul. so i always try to capture that when i portray it in my artwork.

[...]
hmm, that sounds cool. i grew up in a forest and still have this habit of going out wherever to just sit down and "drink in" a place... it feels like you get to know it over time even by just being still in a spot. but i don't know what to do with it, i've got no language/outlet to express any of it, so for now i'm just collecting places i guess :p

recently i've been kayaking upriver a few times and it's amazing, seeing forests and plains from some kind of outside while still being inside them. the way plants will try to claim the water, it's beautiful.
sixeyes
Websurfer

Post by sixeyes »

To bring up something different, i've been building a freestyle drone over the last six months. It's so rewarding to fly, i've got a pair of FPV goggles and there's a camera mounted on the nose of the drone that streams video back to me. That said, it's very scary because the thing weighs just below half a kilo and is very powerful, it'll accelerate to 60-70 km/h almost instantly if you tell it to. So it's very finnicky and running into a person would seriously hurt them - and having the goggles cuts you off from the world - which means i need to be very careful about location, which means i cant do it often. Plus i broke the receiver antenna (crashed a fewwww times), plus there's a few licenses i didn't get yet, and so on. But apart from that, soo fun! 😁
juette
Websurfer

Post by juette »

i love a lot of things as well.... i will try my best to be brief here but i can already tell i wont be able to

my big big big special interest is torchwood <3 its a doctor who spin-off about 5 bisexuals who hunt aliens and stuff. basically inthe doctor who universe theres a space-time rift that runs through cardiff, and the torchwood team has to monitor it to make sure the world doesnt get destroyed and nobody finds out about the aliens (because even after getting invaded by aliens once a year for several decades people still dont believe in them????)
sometimes the aliens are really just. sooo interesting (like theres one that has to implant fake memories in people's brains to be able to live. he literally dies when nobody remembers him) but other times theyre more pretexts to explore a character's backstory or mental health or something.... + russel t davies knows how to write stories with lgbt characters that arent solely about being lgbt its pretty cool.

all the characters are like my real life best friends but im particularly attached to ianto jones (in case it wasnt obvious from my website............) hes like, the butler who seems all quiet and elegant at first but whos actually a huuge nerd and a little bit bitchy but also very passionate. hes also sooo autistic we are so similar i love him so much..... i love when big finish releases new audios with him and i get to learn more little things about him evrything about him is so so comforting to me......

another thing i really like is star trek the next generation and deep space nine. i preferred ds9 over tng except for the fact that tng has data in it who is also my most beloved. (yes theres a pattern there and it is: i get overly attached to autistic characters)

lately ive been getting back into pokemon. i refinished the main storyline of pokemon x and got pretty much every other main series game up to ultra sun/ultra moon to play later. ive also been playing the tcg a lot!! i found a group of people to play with and its been a lot of fun but it really hurts the wallet lol

i will now talk a little bit about my non-media interests because as much as it doesnt look like it i DO like other things.

im studyng to be a librarian-documentalist and i have to say i absolutely love it i only find a few of the classes boring and its mostly the ones that arent too librarian-specific (like history) or just. boring for everybody (like law lmao)
my most favourite subject is taxonomy because its all about putting books in different categories depending on what theyre about and the UDC's system is really clear to me!! i really like it.

obviously i like reading, though ive been having trouble reading a lot lately cause with the school year starting up again i have to get back into the flow of the busier schedule. hopefully ill learn to manage it!!

another thing i love is drawing. i mostly draw ianto and stuff of me and him because i really like him it cheers me up

i love bugs!! theyre such cute and interesting creatures. id like to learn more about them but i havent made the time yet so i mostly just look at pictures of them online for now

ive also been curious about buses' history lately but again i havent made the time to learn about them yet. im hopeing to visit a public transport museum soonish.... maybe next time im on holiday
Image Image
OppositeKeith
Websurfer

Post by OppositeKeith »

there are some hobbies i like. by the biggest one is MUSIC
im usually open minded when it comes to learning about new things or things im familiar with already and i think i can partially thank music for that mindset. there is just so much to explore with for me i cant possibly get enough with the many different mechanics to make different sounds of music or the styles on how artists and bands present themselves with it along with the culture that reflection on the music. i will admit that im not consistent with my music taste and my taste changes like every weekend or so but i enjoy it none the less not just stick to a few artists like most do (i dont blame you though i find it understandable to be like that).

i also enjoy drawing
its been awhile since i tried practicing my art again but i certainly enjoyed drawing in general during my free time. something about drawing anything if you are committed to it enough in any style you want always fascinated me in a way and i usually doodled my notebooks as a result.