thoughts on drama commentary channels?

Talk about the past, present and future of the internet.
OppositeKeith
Webmaster
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/him

thoughts on drama commentary channels?

Post by OppositeKeith »

what are y'all thoughts on drama commentary channels? im personally not a fan of them for how repetitive and easy to make they are as well as their source to making content largely stemming from other content creators drama and controversies that can easily have the same copy and paste opinion or worse warp into flat out lies. add the video game footage and a half baked microphone and there's your commentary channel . its this this reason that i think its one of the worse kinds of content on youtube. but I'd like to hear what you all think though if you see them differently.
Last edited by OppositeKeith on Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
trashguts
Reactions:
Pronouns: xe/he

Re: thoughts on commentary channels?

Post by trashguts »

i agree, but they have one kind of neat redeeming factor: they kind of act as an archive of some media that could have otherwise been lost?
i saw someone talking about how they weren't able to find a guide on an issue they were having, but they found a youtube react video reading instructions that used to exist on a now-defunct website?? which is such a weird thing to exist, but it meant there was a weird copy of that information that wouldn't have existed otherwise lmao! similarly, if a video is taken down, there might still be "reaction" mirrors that are a slightly more inconvenient way to watch it still?

it's definitely much worse than an actual archive and it's obviously not the intended purpose of them, but i think it's a funny little side effect of the weird kinds of things social media creates lol
nightwolf334
Websurfer
Reactions:

Post by nightwolf334 »

Low effort does not mean bad content. I tend to use react videos as a way of keeping up with the news.

If you want to get real technical is the TV news not just a reaction show? YouTube just gives anyone the ability to do it less professionally, about any topic and in real time. AM radio is built around personalities reacting to current events. Just like the two previous examples of mediums, you pick your favorites and stick to them and it does not become repetitive.

Imagine how hard it would be watching the news if you watched every stations nightly news every night.
Serah
Websurfer
Reactions:
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Serah »

Er... could I get an example? Coming into this thread I thought it was going to be about Let's Plays or reaction videos but that doesn't seem to be what you're talking about.

Am I old?
trashguts
Reactions:
Pronouns: xe/he

Post by trashguts »

oh, i definitely thought that's what he meant and rereading it i think i was wrong so my response might not have made that much sense after all lol
OppositeKeith
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by OppositeKeith »

Serah wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:19 am Er... could I get an example? Coming into this thread I thought it was going to be about Let's Plays or reaction videos but that doesn't seem to be what you're talking about.

Am I old?
im talking more specifically about commentary channels that report on drama on content creators whether on youtube or twitter. sorry for the confusion i dont really watch react videos anymore nor lets plays as most seems kinda repetitive to me with a few exceptions like manlybadasshero.
OppositeKeith
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by OppositeKeith »

nightwolf334 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:35 pm Low effort does not mean bad content. I tend to use react videos as a way of keeping up with the news.

If you want to get real technical is the TV news not just a reaction show? YouTube just gives anyone the ability to do it less professionally, about any topic and in real time. AM radio is built around personalities reacting to current events. Just like the two previous examples of mediums, you pick your favorites and stick to them and it does not become repetitive.

Imagine how hard it would be watching the news if you watched every stations nightly news every night.
yeah i can see that and of course low effort doesnt mean the content itself is bad and i apologize for coming off like that. i just have a sour taste on those kinds of channels for how fast they will report on something that barely started development on and get a lot revenue out of it. but at the end of the day that makes sense since the more it comes the popular it will be and this kind of reporting is the same with the news. since i should really just move on with the few channels i trust on reporting things like this.
OppositeKeith
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by OppositeKeith »

trashguts wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:49 pm i agree, but they have one kind of neat redeeming factor: they kind of act as an archive of some media that could have otherwise been lost?
i saw someone talking about how they weren't able to find a guide on an issue they were having, but they found a youtube react video reading instructions that used to exist on a now-defunct website?? which is such a weird thing to exist, but it meant there was a weird copy of that information that wouldn't have existed otherwise lmao! similarly, if a video is taken down, there might still be "reaction" mirrors that are a slightly more inconvenient way to watch it still?

it's definitely much worse than an actual archive and it's obviously not the intended purpose of them, but i think it's a funny little side effect of the weird kinds of things social media creates lol
oh definitely, i personally saw that happen with a remix of a song called the last huzzah by eXquire i listened to a lot before it got taken down by the current owner of the song since that verison didnt have his verse in the remix that was made before the current owner added his verse in it by the way. but somehow i managed to find like 2 reaction videos on the video itself and i think they are still up. thankfully the video itself is now up again last time i checked.
Truxiferous
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Truxiferous »

I think it entirely depends on the channel, if you only watch the over a gameplay, random guy who puts no further thought into a topic. I think they have their place in easy watching, but there are different types of commentary.

Although I will admit the type of commentary I’m inclined towards is closer to video essayists and similar. Ro ramdin is probably closer to a regular commentary channel that I still think has a lot of merit behind it.
Serah
Websurfer
Reactions:
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Serah »

OppositeKeith wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:50 am
Serah wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:19 am Er... could I get an example? Coming into this thread I thought it was going to be about Let's Plays or reaction videos but that doesn't seem to be what you're talking about.

Am I old?
im talking more specifically about commentary channels that report on drama on content creators whether on youtube or twitter. sorry for the confusion i dont really watch react videos anymore nor lets plays as most seems kinda repetitive to me with a few exceptions like manlybadasshero.

Ah okay. I was barely aware that this was a thing. Like I'm not surprised it's a thing but it's just something I've never really come across myself. I mostly watch music, video essay, documentary, and vibesy sorts of channels on YouTube.

The new thread title definitely makes things clearer! :P
OppositeKeith
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by OppositeKeith »

Serah wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:03 am
OppositeKeith wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:50 am

Am I old?

Ah okay. I was barely aware that this was a thing. Like I'm not surprised it's a thing but it's just something I've never really come across myself. I mostly watch music, video essay, documentary, and vibesy sorts of channels on YouTube.

The new thread title definitely makes things clearer! :P
i dont blame ya, im trying to avoid them now cause of how depressing it makes me feel. also glad the new thread title is working.
marginalia
Netizen
Reactions:

Re: thoughts on drama commentary channels?

Post by marginalia »

On some level I can see there is an appeal, that'ss really nothing new. Gossip has always had an appeal.

On the other hand, it can be very exploitative. Like you don't blow up in public if you don't have some sort of mental issues, and often these types of media tend to fan on the flames and encourage the disaster rather than offer help. I find that to be in pretty poor taste. These people need help, not a bunch of rubberneckers cheering them on.
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in
summerof69
Reactions:
Pronouns: any/all

Post by summerof69 »

I think commentary channels just suck ass. I watched them from like 2015-18, and they were just mostly bad all along. They relay news to people I guess, but they never really know much and just spout really unnuanced takes most of the time, claiming to be 'neutral' about it but clearly having their own white dudebro biases in literally all of it and being able to laugh off a lot of bigotry.

It's one of the biggest manifestations of the "outrage rewarding you on this platform which encourages traffic and impressions and growth above all else" on youtube, where they can even just say especially inflammatory stuff just to be rewarded by the algorithm and make a ton of money off of this very low effort content

If they were actually mature and cool I could see myself liking them more, the format itself might not be the worst, but that most likely will not favor you in youtube's algorithm
Neonriser
Websurfer
Reactions:

Post by Neonriser »

Not my cup of tea, sorry.
irkeneon
Reactions:

Post by irkeneon »

I think people into that kind of drama is just kind of pathetic in all honesty. it also can overblow otherwise small drama or make it harder for the people involved to actually move on.
swifty
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/they

Post by swifty »

i have to agree, it's not.... constructive? and feels like less of an archive of what happened and more of a targeted bullying campaign (not to say some of them are faultless....). it feels, also, maybe a little... what's the word, voyeuristic? like, looking in and laughing without any stake in what's discussed.
atKingMSPFA
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: he/they

Post by atKingMSPFA »

Today's drama commentary channels are a mixed bag. Some channels are really well researched, and some very much aren't. With setups relatively easy to find, almost anyone can just pick something to rage over and get views from it. I guess it was always kind of like that.

Although a big problem with it is that it can elevate previously unknown dramas into the public eye. I don't buy the good faith "i'm just telling them to get better uwu" when all the uploader's doing is opening the floodgates for harassment campaigns. (and no, a little "no bullying" reminder isn't going to stop anyone). Not to mention commentary channels are the #1 way to get elevated into lolcow status in the quickest way possible.

They do make some interesting background noise though, sometimes I'll just stick on a random drama video when I'm working on something else. A guilty pleasure if you will. But I've tried to stop giving them views in recent weeks.
atKing ~ NC - SH - MSPFA (+alt) ~
nova
Reactions:
Pronouns: they/them

Post by nova »

this isn't a super encompassing opinion in general, but i will say that there seems to be a pattern of drama and commentary youtubers having reactionary views and tendencies, which is obviously problematic.
windigo
Reactions:
Pronouns: any

Post by windigo »

atKingMSPFA wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:01 am Today's drama commentary channels are a mixed bag. Some channels are really well researched, and some very much aren't. With setups relatively easy to find, almost anyone can just pick something to rage over and get views from it. I guess it was always kind of like that.

Although a big problem with it is that it can elevate previously unknown dramas into the public eye. I don't buy the good faith "i'm just telling them to get better uwu" when all the uploader's doing is opening the floodgates for harassment campaigns. (and no, a little "no bullying" reminder isn't going to stop anyone). Not to mention commentary channels are the #1 way to get elevated into lolcow status in the quickest way possible.

They do make some interesting background noise though, sometimes I'll just stick on a random drama video when I'm working on something else. A guilty pleasure if you will. But I've tried to stop giving them views in recent weeks.
I have to agree with you, many channels truly are mixed bags. You can either encounter a 1 hour video which shows insightful views which might transcend the topic at hand or a short video which merely expresses a more surface level opinion.
(I only wish to point out how difficult it is to make a lengthy video which still holds well instead of making a length = good comparison)
I used to watch these channels almost obsessively since I was quite a "YouTube" addict if you may call me that. I was really interested in the topics that they were covering (art, cartoons, popular content creators), although I mostly followed the more popular youtubers (like Spoctor and such). It seems like nowadays this "genre" is either dying or its pionners have lost interest or are starting to cover other topics.
I really love it when drama commentary channels shift their interest, I feel as if they can truly show their 'potential'. One great, and perhaps controversial example is Solar Sands. I really liked his video on NFTs, it doesn't add anything new to the topic but it explains it well.

Don't forget to hydrate yourself!
OppositeKeith
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by OppositeKeith »

windigo wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:33 pm I have to agree with you, many channels truly are mixed bags. You can either encounter a 1 hour video which shows insightful views which might transcend the topic at hand or a short video which merely expresses a more surface level opinion.
(I only wish to point out how difficult it is to make a lengthy video which still holds well instead of making a length = good comparison)
I used to watch these channels almost obsessively since I was quite a "YouTube" addict if you may call me that. I was really interested in the topics that they were covering (art, cartoons, popular content creators), although I mostly followed the more popular youtubers (like Spoctor and such). It seems like nowadays this "genre" is either dying or its pionners have lost interest or are starting to cover other topics.
I really love it when drama commentary channels shift their interest, I feel as if they can truly show their 'potential'. One great, and perhaps controversial example is Solar Sands. I really liked his video on NFTs, it doesn't add anything new to the topic but it explains it well.
yeah I'm glad these sorts of channels are changing their course whether to have their interests more out there or to fit in more with youtube's algorithm, i'm seeing it the same way story time youtubers have been changing their content from story time to more of their general interests like jaiden animations and scribble juice while still maintaining their quality of videos
Twilight Fallen
Reactions:
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Twilight Fallen »

I honestly think it's a interesting way of store the history of the internet in an accessible way. Twenty years from now, some scholar will look for these videos and write a scientific article about these social events and how they impacted the mass's opinion and common sense. It's the same thing old magazines would do, but written.
I like to see how entitled people feel to judge the story told by these youtubers like they didn't do worse in their life, but it didn't get the same attention because they're not famous. Now, personally, I don't like this type of content because is just human beings acting and behaving like such. It's like "THIS FAMOUS YOUTUBER CHEATED ON HIS GIRLFRIEND" like we don't personally know someone who did exactly the same but everyone still likes them.
Last edited by Twilight Fallen on Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blog47177
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by Blog47177 »

OppositeKeith wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:16 pm what are y'all thoughts on drama commentary channels? im personally not a fan of them for how repetitive and easy to make they are as well as their source to making content largely stemming from other content creators drama and controversies that can easily have the same copy and paste opinion or worse warp into flat out lies. add the video game footage and a half baked microphone and there's your commentary channel . its this this reason that i think its one of the worse kinds of content on youtube. but I'd like to hear what you all think though if you see them differently.

Its all grifting at this point for politics.
catra
Netizen
Reactions:
Pronouns: she/they

Post by catra »

i like it! not everything has to be of meaning and value, if it makes u happy or satisfied then thats it. ppl like to put meaning onto everything which gives zero space into just doing, just existing. in a life and world so absurd and without the given answers of meaningful things, what we choose to determine to be a good thing to put our time into is different for everyone. im sure theres some person out there that is never looking at a screen bc they deem it a waste of time, bad content, etc.
i got a warning for my old signature so im a cool kid now 8)
GaryStu
Websurfer
Reactions:

boobs

Post by GaryStu »

this phenomenon is older than people think. the pivot to youtube was inevitable, but fostered by youtube's early and since-removed video response feature. i'm certain these people were also around on pre-youtube web video, but that history is poorly archived. however, these kinds of people existed in blogs and even on usenet.

and yeah they've always been low-tier and suck. internet gossip rags. low hanging fruit which is also incredibly popular because the people love messy bitches.

will they ever stop? as much as we will stop people from gossiping, idk.

30 year old boomer 'internet historians' are all charlatans, though.
All my social links are on the home page of my website, just above the webrings.

Image Image

Blog47177
Webmaster
Reactions:

Re: boobs

Post by Blog47177 »

GaryStu wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:55 pm this phenomenon is older than people think. the pivot to youtube was inevitable, but fostered by youtube's early and since-removed video response feature. i'm certain these people were also around on pre-youtube web video, but that history is poorly archived. however, these kinds of people existed in blogs and even on usenet.

and yeah they've always been low-tier and suck. internet gossip rags. low hanging fruit which is also incredibly popular because the people love messy bitches.

will they ever stop? as much as we will stop people from gossiping, idk.

30 year old boomer 'internet historians' are all charlatans, though.
Yes consider this one Cable TV political talk shows it's rife with this type of stuff all because certain politicians want attention for elections.
Jack V
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/Him They/Them

Post by Jack V »

OppositeKeith wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:16 pm what are y'all thoughts on drama commentary channels? im personally not a fan of them for how repetitive and easy to make they are as well as their source to making content largely stemming from other content creators drama and controversies that can easily have the same copy and paste opinion or worse warp into flat out lies. add the video game footage and a half baked microphone and there's your commentary channel . its this this reason that i think its one of the worse kinds of content on youtube. but I'd like to hear what you all think though if you see them differently.
Futile, it's sad they dedicate their entire carreer online to just creating attention for a quick buck, it does not produce anything positive at all, and just helps to perpetuate a cycle of loath and hate, sincerely, i try to avoid all kind of drama, because at the end of the day, this is the net, is not our reality.
abacus
Reactions:

Post by abacus »

They all beat a dead horse and try resurrecting stuff to reignite drama that would be better off forgotten. It's like fast food, I shouldn't eat it but damn those artificial flavors make my brain create some addicting chemical reactions. The resulting fatigue from those videos parallels what del taco does to me while in the bathroom. @_@

Edit: Also the drama sometimes centers around people's lives being ruined, only to be intensified by their reactionary take. It thickens the dissonance that there are real people behind it all. It's like looking at those paparazzi magazines at the grocery stores at check-out.
Last edited by abacus on Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Starfighter
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by Starfighter »

Drama doesn't interest me even when it involves people I know in real life so I guess that's a clue as to what my thoughts on drama commentary channels are. :) I don't know if it's because I've got zero brainspace over for things that doesn't interest me or if I'm simply old (I'm looking at 37 later this year)... Perhaps a bit of both?
Vencake
Reactions:
Pronouns: She

Post by Vencake »

Hmm. I don't feel a particular way. It's entertaining to a lot, but I don't see that as a bad thing.
I do watch some drama channels consistently such as Michelle McDaniels. She is unapologetic in her views and tells it as it is. She criticises topics like the fat positivity movement and judgement in general and proves a point in a funny way. She doesn't attack people (though I know many others have a disclaimer to circumvent this, I doubt it does little if at all) and she herself is a bodybuilder and has faced unique discrimination due to her being a woman and having muscles; she has proven how hypocritical people are in regards to this. A

But there are a lot who are disingenuous &/or hateful and only care about views etc it's youtube so w/e. Impressionable people (mostly young) fall under really fast. That's a problem in general with influencers though, not just drama channels lol. Like with most things on the internet, if you can sieve through the bad ones, there's some real gems and good entertainment!
GaryStu
Websurfer
Reactions:

sounds like she fucking sucks lol

Post by GaryStu »

Vencake wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:49 pm I do watch some drama channels consistently such as Michelle McDaniels. She is unapologetic in her views and tells it as it is. She criticises topics like the fat positivity movement and judgement in general and proves a point in a funny way. She doesn't attack people (though I know many others have a disclaimer to circumvent this, I doubt it does little if at all) and she herself is a bodybuilder and has faced unique discrimination due to her being a woman and having muscles; she has proven how hypocritical people are in regards to this. A
All my social links are on the home page of my website, just above the webrings.

Image Image

Vencake
Reactions:
Pronouns: She

Re: sounds like she fucking sucks lol

Post by Vencake »

GaryStu wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:57 am
Vencake wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:49 pm I do watch some drama channels consistently such as Michelle McDaniels. She is unapologetic in her views and tells it as it is. She criticises topics like the fat positivity movement and judgement in general and proves a point in a funny way. She doesn't attack people (though I know many others have a disclaimer to circumvent this, I doubt it does little if at all) and she herself is a bodybuilder and has faced unique discrimination due to her being a woman and having muscles; she has proven how hypocritical people are in regards to this. A
Such a wonderfully thought out reply.
But knee-jerk reactions and immediate emotive investments with lack of understanding are the backbone of many "us vs them" mentality posts.
I do recommend checking her out. She's a cosplayer and does skits involving cosplay!
Sir_Rivet
Reactions:
Pronouns: He/They

Post by Sir_Rivet »

I think they reflect a lot of the issues of both social media and real life drama. just a lot of commentating on things before anyone really knows anything, invasions of privacy, and bringing up stuff that is off topic to any genuine examples of abuse (for example a lot of drama channels like to point to youtubers having unusual personal fe**shes to attack them because we cant just say what they did or said we have to attack every aspect of their personal life). Its just... a lot of making something out of nothing. On the flipside i acknolwedge that some of these channels do play an important role in exposing the abuse of internet celebrities. but i wish people paid more attention and gave more time.

(also side note that commentary channel drama tends to follow the same cycle that celebrity drama does just faster and also can happen to people who have like 7 thousand subscribers but im kind of tired and dont want to explain that too much)
Blog47177
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by Blog47177 »

Scott Adams of Dilbert and his YouTube Show is rife with Drama. Yes it got him cut from his syndication service but attention among his fans for political reasons.

https://news.yahoo.com/dilbert-comic-cu ... 00374.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/tampa/news/rapi ... -watching/

https://www.sacbee.com/opinion/article272616115.html
Blog47177
Webmaster
Reactions:

Post by Blog47177 »

Its not just on Youtube but also on Twitter given that the biggest trending topics are political on that outlet.