fandoms you missed being active in?

Discuss the past, present and future of the internet. No drinks near the computers, please!
OppositeKeith
Websurfer

fandoms you missed being active in?

Post by OppositeKeith »

whats a fandom you were once active in but no longer are for whatever reason do you miss nowadays? whether its media like shows, animation, movies, books, web series or others like websites or youtubers. do you cherish that phase you had with it today? do you have a reason why you left or did you just grew out of it?
i personally was a big steven universe fan throughout the shows run but i rarely speak about the show nowadays cause of my mix feelings about it. not a bad show but a rather heavily flawed one.
Serah
Websurfer

Re: fandoms you missed being active in?

Post by Serah »

Sonic the Hedgehog. The fandom that I grew up with doesn't really exist anymore. I grew up with the 90s and early 2000s scene, reading the fanfic and poetry hosted on SonicHQ and The Mobian Central Library, lurking on the alt.fan.sonic-hedgehog newsgroup, posting on The Mobius Forum, etc. That scene was already in its twilight years by the time Sonic Heroes came out and it's basically gone now. Even its most prominent members like Daniel Drazen and Serenthia Kelberry rarely get brought up anymore.

It's bittersweet but it was bound to happen. A lot of us were there for SatAM, the Archie Comic, or - as in my case - the Fleetway Comic. The games were great, but the worlds, characters, and stories the adaptations built resonated with us in a way that they didn't try to. But those all ended a long time ago. Even Archie has been dead for 5 years, the rest died 20, 30 years ago. Sonic the Comic Online still exists, but it isn't as active, regular, or widely read as it was back in the 2000s.

Sonic, ultimately, found a new audience among people who grew up with very different interpretations of the character. People who built their own communities, and made their own fan content.

A few of the old guard are still around - Ian Flynn, Taxman and Stealth, obviously - and I think the fan content coming out of the newer communities is genuinely great! But it's not the community I grew up with anymore and I don't think it could ever be rebuilt. It's been 20-25 year., We're all very different people and probably don't have the same attachment to Sonic that we did back then.
Last edited by Serah on Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Squid-Died
Websurfer

Post by Squid-Died »

iv always been a lurker so i tend to just kind of observe fandom stuff rather than get involved with stuff so much, i kind of miss out on a lot of the community spirit that can come from fandoms because im pretty shy xD, n i regret it a little bit ngl. I think the fandom i kind of got to hang out in a bit more was Homestuck while the original comic was still unfinished, i cosplayed and drew stuff for it XD

Some of the bullshit that came out of that fandom was crazy though. Especially that for conventions specifically, i know there was many rules that were invented because of homestuck cosplayers 😅 some by accident some from people being annoying as hell for sure.

I also really enjoyed the fandom surrounding Gravity Falls while it was coming out too, swapping fan theories and solving all the little puzzles. I never participated in the ARG at the end of it but that was really cool to follow along with too!

△△△ i made some holographic stickers of this, check it out!!
atKingMSPFA
Netizen

Post by atKingMSPFA »

One of my first truly fandom-fandoms I was a part of was the Undertale AU and "multiverse" scene. I still have zero clue how this thing self-propagated almost entirely off of askblogs and short comics, but I was totally down for it. I never really regained the initial interest I had in it back in 2016-17, even with a pseudo-anime based off of it.

Oh, and BFDI back in 2013-16 (a.k.a. the worst time to be a BFDI fan). But I barely remember that.
atKing ~ NC - SH - MSPFA (+alt) ~
summerof69

Post by summerof69 »

I miss being somewhat in the sonic fandom before I fell out of it in 2014, earthbound until 2015ish, all around I miss how stuff was 10+ years ago.

I'm far less of a fan of people who are fans of anything these days, because media at large has gotten significantly worse, and all I see each and everyday is fans accepting stuff that fans 8+ years ago never would've accepted, which now I've had to see all of it get normalized slowly overtime all these years.

Aside from that though, the main thing I think that I miss about fandoms is how everything is now almost entirely based around being on twitter or tiktok or discord, which are each horrible platforms that have really turned everyone against each other, making everyone constantly be a huge shitter so they can farm rage likes and impressions because that's what runs social media. It's made inter-fandom interaction so much worse, it's made the fan made content much worse, it's probably even helped make the media become worse too.

Anytime I join a new 'fandom' now, I almost entirely hate it and just really long for time travel so I can go back and be able to interact with other relatively likeminded people in a much more fun and organic way, free from all the social media bullshit. Finding yesterweb has been pretty cool for me though in terms of all this :)
Petite Plume

Post by Petite Plume »

I spent my early teens in the Pokémon fandom. I'd spend hours writing fanfics, or learning pixel-art or "GFX" to make forum signatures. This was about much more than pokémon, haha. I hope I can one day make my time on the computer as rewarding as it was back then!

Later on, I got big into homestuck. I would spend a lot of time consuming all sorts of fan content, mostly drawings and comics. I had stopped writing at the time, but I was learning to draw, and fanart was definitely a big motivation to keep going.
We're thankful for our Cradle's Graces, but we're not coming back.
trashguts

Post by trashguts »

when i was a kid (like, 13 lol) i spent a lot of time in the mlp fandom around when gen 4 was really new! but a specific corner of it on a well-moderated kid's site, so it was a really positive and safe experience compared to a lot of peoples haha. i'd been making mlp ocs my whole life because i had a lot of the gens 1-3 toys handed down from my mom, so even though i never actually watched friendship is magic it was exciting to find a community of people who were also making mlp ocs!

every day after school i'd come home and draw people's pony ocs until past midnight, i probably improved the fastest at drawing during that period than any other in my life haha! it was really fun :")

i never was super active in any other fandom, i was a little bit on the outskirts of the homestuck fandom & ive been drawing pokemon & pokemon ocs for forever but was never really "part of a fandom" about it lol
irkeneon

Post by irkeneon »

I wasn't active in it because I was still a kid in the time period I'm thinking of, but I kind of wish I got to experience or appreciate the old furry community a little more. I have no idea how to really explain it but there was just a completely different feel to the fandom before maybe 2015 where it felt a little bit more creative and maybe embracing being weird. maybe it's rose colored glasses but it also feels like the drama was a lot huge than it is now.

It's also just focused on social media I don't want to use, like Twitter, Reddit, or Discord
Bliss-net

Post by Bliss-net »

summerof69 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:19 pm
Aside from that though, the main thing I think that I miss about fandoms is how everything is now almost entirely based around being on twitter or tiktok or discord, which are each horrible platforms that have really turned everyone against each other, making everyone constantly be a huge shitter so they can farm rage likes and impressions because that's what runs social media. It's made inter-fandom interaction so much worse, it's made the fan made content much worse, it's probably even helped make the media become worse too.
I agree with this statement, I really missed the time when fandoms felt like an actual community/family. I've been a part of a few fandoms mostly around 2012-2015 (roughly), and I missed the time where fandoms would create whole fan games or fan comics or make a really cool AU that got passed around the fandom; all in the name of appreciation of the work that we all loved...

The only fandom that comes to mind for me that had a similar vibe in recent memory is the undertale fandom (and maybe FNAF, but with recent drama in that fandom, I cant really say that all of the fan games are made out of love not just for clout)

Someone mentioned earlier about the UT fandom having a lot of AUs and remember that happening, and weren't they all interconnected in some way? I wasn't a part of the UT fandom at the time I was observing from a far but it was pretty cool

Nowadays, you dont really see fandoms creating whole rpg maker games just for fun or starting a new AU without some type of drama happening straight afterward, another thing I've grow to dislike about modern fandoms, I think with sites like Twitter and Instagram and any creator or actor being only one dm or tweet away from being in contact with a fan (even if the account is run by an assistant or 3rd party) really did a toll on the fandom environment.

I really missed when fandoms would have their own inside jokes and lore that the creator and crew were none the wiser about, until like they did a meet and greet or a panel at a convention, but now media industries have their eyes and ears everywhere. So any small little inside joke fans make gets blown out of proportion by the media itself and sometimes even sold right back to them (*cough*MARVEL*cough). This also feeds into the weird competition aspect that has grown in very hateful fandoms where someone will try to harass the creator or staff to make their headcanons canon or boast about how an actor agreed with their headcanon so its basically canon, and a whole fights break out. Not to mention that the use of social media has fed into some creators' god complexes which are just weird to see at times

I missed when some media wasn't so self-aware and didn't make a self-depreciating joke every 5 secs about how much their script doesn't make any sense or a sad attempt to be meta (*cough*MARVEL*cough*)

I missed when fandoms used to make fan sites and shrines and forums to talk about what they loved in a (mostly) peaceful and understanding setting, It seemed like hatedom members were easier to avoid in a fandom-centered forum than out in the wilds of social media like Twitter...
Check out my site (ノ≧∀≦)ノ ‥…━━━★: https://blissnet.neocities.org/
and my Carrd for socials: https://cinderpeach-personal.carrd.co/
✧༺♥༻∞ 𝓓𝔂𝓼𝓵𝓮𝔁𝓲𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓼𝓱𝓪𝓭𝓸𝔀 𝓽𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓱𝓪𝓾𝓷𝓽𝓼 𝓶𝓮 𝓲𝓷 𝓶𝔂 𝓻𝓸𝓸𝓶 ∞༺♥༻✧♥♡♥(ꈍᴗꈍ)ε`*)♥♡♥
OppositeKeith
Websurfer

Post by OppositeKeith »

Bliss-net wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:22 am
summerof69 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:19 pm
I agree with this statement, I really missed the time when fandoms felt like an actual community/family. I've been a part of a few fandoms mostly around 2012-2015 (roughly), and I missed the time where fandoms would create whole fan games or fan comics or make a really cool AU that got passed around the fandom; all in the name of appreciation of the work that we all loved...

The only fandom that comes to mind for me that had a similar vibe in recent memory is the undertale fandom (and maybe FNAF, but with recent drama in that fandom, I cant really say that all of the fan games are made out of love not just for clout)

Someone mentioned earlier about the UT fandom having a lot of AUs and remember that happening, and weren't they all interconnected in some way? I wasn't a part of the UT fandom at the time I was observing from a far but it was pretty cool

Nowadays, you dont really see fandoms creating whole rpg maker games just for fun or starting a new AU without some type of drama happening straight afterward, another thing I've grow to dislike about modern fandoms, I think with sites like Twitter and Instagram and any creator or actor being only one dm or tweet away from being in contact with a fan (even if the account is run by an assistant or 3rd party) really did a toll on the fandom environment.

I really missed when fandoms would have their own inside jokes and lore that the creator and crew were none the wiser about, until like they did a meet and greet or a panel at a convention, but now media industries have their eyes and ears everywhere. So any small little inside joke fans make gets blown out of proportion by the media itself and sometimes even sold right back to them (*cough*MARVEL*cough). This also feeds into the weird competition aspect that has grown in very hateful fandoms where someone will try to harass the creator or staff to make their headcanons canon or boast about how an actor agreed with their headcanon so its basically canon, and a whole fights break out. Not to mention that the use of social media has fed into some creators' god complexes which are just weird to see at times

I missed when some media wasn't so self-aware and didn't make a self-depreciating joke every 5 secs about how much their script doesn't make any sense or a sad attempt to be meta (*cough*MARVEL*cough*)

I missed when fandoms used to make fan sites and shrines and forums to talk about what they loved in a (mostly) peaceful and understanding setting, It seemed like hatedom members were easier to avoid in a fandom-centered forum than out in the wilds of social media like Twitter...
half of me agrees while another half of me disagrees if im being honest. i agree that toxicity feels more common than ever with fandoms with the advent of twitter, reddit, and discord but at the same time for me its more of just fandoms adapting to growing technology like everybody else and the community feel to it is still there in a different way for me on discord than on with twitter or tiktok. the most drama you'll get out of something is just shipping, rule 34, and critiques on certain episodes or the show entirely by cartoon reviewers. there are exceptions but thats as much as you can go from. fandoms of shows like amphibia or owl house still make AUs, animatics, art, insides jokes and even unoffical merchandise for fun or for support of the creators of the show. hell some creators of shows like Owen Dennis of infinity train publicly tries to find people who are willing to make merchandise of the show itself because of how the show is treated by the networks which is really unfair. theres still that treating the creators like god thing for some people in theses fandoms which it is weird but i also see it as mostly happen for the sake of comedy. people are aware still of the toxicity within these fandoms and ive seen them make an attempt to prevent it from at least spreading further into the community. from muting people for talking about leaks of amphibia episodes or twitter drama relating to the show in the discord server to owl house server out right locking itself down to prevent spoilers for anybody who hasnt seen the latest episodes yet when it dropped (since it gets out of control pretty quickly). the sense of self awarness makes me feel like glad to be apart of a community like this as bad it could get sometimes. i do really wished that these communities would go as far as to create forums and their own websites to show their love for the media they are in someday.
CooperationIsKey
Netizen

Post by CooperationIsKey »

One I've missed for a long time and recently gotten back into is Invader Zim! I'm actually making an effort to bring it back more, with a new fansite. I want to get an actual top-level domain for it eventually but for now it's a Neocities subdomain. ( https://itsnotstupid.neocities.org/)

I miss the old days when everyone and their brother had a IZ fansite, and there were big sites with tons and tons of like behind the scenes content and stuff. The fandom has thinned out a lot (understandably so, I suppose, being an older show), but I have found there's people on YouTube still making animatic music videos and stuff, and even a few fan-animated 'episodes' and such (which is super cool!!).

I'm hoping maybe my new site will attract new fans, and make materials available that have largely, if not entirely, disappeared from the net by now. :3

Inb4 I end up making the Mighty Ducks: the Animated Series website of my dreams (another fandom I really miss that was pretty big back in the day, believe it or not!).
Fluxbender

Post by Fluxbender »

I liked checking out the Steven Universe fandom but the excessive hiatuses and the dumb writing (and character designs) that came in later episodes made me lose interest. Didn't help that the ending to the series was terrible, too.
Alda

Post by Alda »

Roller coaster tycoon. the reazon i am not that active anymore is that i simply got bored and moved on for a while :)
littlebeggar

Post by littlebeggar »

in the early 2000s I was on World of Warcraft, and I found a group of roleplayers there, and genuinely, genuinely, they taught me how to write. As a guild they taught me how to organize huge fun crowd-pleasing events, how to reach out to people and invite them into things, how to use rules to increase community engagement. It was a silly format but they were incredible storytellers. My asethetic of "light humor/adventure, and then suddenly a stinger of the deep drama that's been underlying the plot all along, played totally seriously" was SET then, and it will never change.

The limitations were bonkers (200-something character limit in game chat, and we were writing EPICS, and had to have multiple addons to be able to write and record what we were writing) but nobody even considered moving to another platform. We lived there, in a sense. I still have vivid spatial memories of some of those in-game places, and it's all because the community enlivened them.

Paladins reckoned with deradicalization, friendships survived death and reanimation, my oc went to elf college and learned about classism, everyone fell into debt and had to work for an alien refugee mafia. We made up some stupid fantasy drugs, every time someone ran a lowbie dungeon for alt gear, they pretended they did it IC. It was a wonderful time.
iam

Post by iam »

Serah wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:38 am Sonic the Hedgehog. The fandom that I grew up with doesn't really exist anymore. I grew up with the 90s and early 2000s scene, reading the fanfic and poetry hosted on SonicHQ and The Mobian Central Library, lurking on the alt.fan.sonic-hedgehog newsgroup, posting on The Mobius Forum, etc. That scene was already in its twilight years by the time Sonic Heroes came out and it's basically gone now. Even its most prominent members like Daniel Drazen and Serenthia Kelberry rarely get brought up anymore.

It's bittersweet but it was bound to happen. A lot of us were there for SatAM, the Archie Comic, or - as in my case - the Fleetway Comic. The games were great, but the worlds, characters, and stories the adaptations built resonated with us in a way that they didn't try to. But those all ended a long time ago. Even Archie has been dead for 5 years, the rest died 20, 30 years ago. Sonic the Comic Online still exists, but it isn't as active, regular, or widely read as it was back in the 2000s.

Sonic, ultimately, found a new audience among people who grew up with very different interpretations of the character. People who built their own communities, and made their own fan content.

A few of the old guard are still around - Ian Flynn, Taxman and Stealth, obviously - and I think the fan content coming out of the newer communities is genuinely great! But it's not the community I grew up with anymore and I don't think it could ever be rebuilt. It's been 20-25 year., We're all very different people and probably don't have the same attachment to Sonic that we did back then.
Oh man, I feel this. Sonic was one of my first experiences with internet fandom. I use to obsessively browse Team Artail and any Sonic forum I could find. Read so many sprite comics... I remember making my own Sonic sprite edits in MS Paint and writing fanfics. I was very into the Archie comics all the way up until the cancelation, as well.

Seeing the creativity of the Sonic fandom and everyone's OC fansites at the time is what inspired me to draw and make my own fan characters and eventually branch out into original artwork.

Besides that, I personally don't even know how to be "apart" of fandoms anymore, ever since the loss of forums and art specific sites like Deviantart. I have no idea how to participate in Discords or have a want to use Twitter.
I feel like I'm just holding out hope for people to start using anything besides Twitter again, and until then, I feel a bit misplaced with it all and keep my interests mainly to myself.
GaryStu

Post by GaryStu »

None. Fandoms of yore sucked. They still do, in many ways, but "staying in your own circle and enjoying things your way" is a skill i've spent a lot of time learning and I would not enjoy relearning it.

None. I don't believe for a second that fandom is more toxic nowadays. Yes, i've heard about [BIG EVENT], but I also heard about the Final Fantasy House. I remember fandom wank, a community of losers who sucked, and I still hate them and there aft-runners. I get so happy when their aft-runners get their asses kicked by zoomers. good times

None. If I miss something, what is stopping me from going back. I'm never going back to the days of doodling my RP characters during class, but why would I want to do that. That's what I was doing because school is hell and sucked. I don't have any joy in the exercise, I see a desperation for escapism.

None. When you're a 30 year old boomer, everything you like is still old enough to have its own fansite that's probably still around. Many fansites have gone down, but people move on. Maybe its time for the users to move on, also. There's still new fansites that pop up all the time. There's nothing TOO miss. Support your local fan site today.
Image Image Image

Sinclair-Speccy

Post by Sinclair-Speccy »

OS-tans. The fandom used to be good until recently with drama that has turned into a soap opera from hell. I ended up leaving their discord server after someone I used to know encouraged me to leave because the members were toxic to them, whipping up pointless lies. It took me a long time to see how bad the fandom was
rubber cat

Post by rubber cat »

the show 24. people would post their reactions to the crazy twists in realtime and although I didn't really get to participate due to being west coast it was always fun to read the jokes and proto-memes. the thread would go on for pages. there was a weird sense of shared community about this stupid show. now there's livetweeting and stuff but it's not the same